“wonderful hospitality”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mey
The Hawthorns Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Mey B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed in the Hawthorns as part of our two week road trip around Scotland and would rate this as one of the best B&B's we boooked. Theresa and Andy were great hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The room was spotless and the food excellent, all the little personal touches made our stay very special. We would definately return and recomend The Hawthorns to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am a little overdue with this review, however the lovely memory of my two day stay in May is still very much in my mind, and I would certainly return to stay with Teresa and Andy for much longer. I had taken the train up to Thurso from Glasgow, as I had always wanted to do a week-end in the area to see the Castle of Mey. Having seen The Hawthorns recommended on the Castle of Mey website, I must say I was not disappointed in my choice of B&B. From the initial arrival, having cycled the 14miles from Thurso to Mey, and arriving around 8.45pm, the marvellous Teresa greeted me very warmly and showed me around her well appointed home. She kindly offered some tea/coffee and shortbread, and brought me back some food from her local supermarket, which made a welcome snack. My bedroom was spotlessly clean, well furnished, very comfortable and of a good size, with scenic views out to the Orkney Isles. The home cooked breakfast is substantial and very good, well cooked with a good choice of healthy options, including my favourite of smoked salmon and scrambled egg!
Fish (kippers) and fresh fruits also feature on the well thought out breakfast menu. Andy kindly helped with storing my bicycle in his garden shed, and there are also provisions for wet weather clothing being dried out! On my return jorney to Thurso on the Monday morning to catch the train, Teresa very kindly offered to take me and my bicycle in her car, a very welcome offer!
Altogether a very pleasant stay with a very pleasant couple, who know how to run a very good B&B, and perhaps more importantly, know how to make their guests feel welcome and at ease in their lovely home. Will definitely be back for longer next time !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank clarkgable186534
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Caithness is an experience on its own, especially when you live in a south Europe city: sky, sea, wind, sheep, few people occasionally. The Hawthorns is an experience too: high quality in the rooms, high quality in the food, high quality in the relationship between host and guest. Teresa is an energetic host who puts passion in her job.
Unfortunately we could not spend more than a night there, but next time we will stay long enough to go through the dinner menu and spot the seals in the harbour.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was our third visit to this B&B 2nd with Teresa in Charge. Things could not have been better From the initial welcome with tea and freshly baked cookies to the lovely breakfasts we were very well looked after. The bonus on a wet and misty Sunday afternoon was sitting in the sitting room enjoying the tennis ( not the resul) and being served once again with tea and fresh baking. Well spoiled.

Room Tip: Ideally suited for a stopover to or from Orkney with a visit to the Castle of Mey nearby.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We heartily agree with all the comments made by previous visitors to this wonderful b & b. We had an extremely well appointed room on the ground floor with all the comforts of home and more. So much attention to detail - and yes the homemade shortbread is very yummy. I'm sure Teresa could produce a rabbit out of a hat if needed! Breakfasts were delicious and set us up for the day. Well done, Teresa, for raising the bar with regards to the standards of B & Bs. Thank you so much. Tony & Claire

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

A one-night stop allowed us to experience this great B&B. Spacious and very comfortable rooms in a purpose-built house, all sorts of extras available, a huge DVD library, a wonderful breakfast - what more could one ask? Decent evening meals at the nearby Castle Inn, but don't go there if you're in a hurry! To say the service is slow is a bit of an understatement. Still, the quality of this B&B made this a worthwhile stop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GAnderson_12
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed here for a visit to Orkney Is. The 4 of us were really amazed at the level of service and the very spacious rooms and comfy beds, delicious breakfast etc etc etc. We especially appreciated the home cooked shortbread left daily in our room, not a big fan of shortbread but this was the best I have tasted. Also great to have a fridge.
Well done Teresa & Andy, would recommend your home to all.

Mark, Anne, Ashley & Magali
Australia

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank maranne

Been to The Hawthorns Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!