“Out of the way but worth it for the breakfast!”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over night for Chestwr Races, it was a good 20min drive which wasn't ideal, but should have checked properly beforehand. Staff ensured we had at least one room to change in before the races, which was nice. And when we returned in the sept hours, they had our room cards waiting. Rooms basic but pleasant, not much noise and comfy beds. Paid £8 for a fab breakfast before our journey home.
To sum up, nice stop over, away from hussle and bustle of city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked a night for £43.00 which included breakfast for 2 adults and 1 child. It was all you could eat with cereals, toast, croissants and a full English. There was a small swimming pool and gym. The room was clean with a comfy bed. The room was not massive but I was very pleased that my daughter actually got a bed. It was in a good place to stay not far from cheshire oaks shopping complex. Did not meet many staff but those I did we're pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor, I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel, it's facilities and the service from the team

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I arrived to check in and joined the queue when it got to my turn I was told the receptionist had phone calls to make so I would have to wait. She made a call cancelling a booking with another customer who was due to arrive the following night. Two other members of staff arrived and they discussed the problem of overbooking and that the receptionist was complaining that she always had to make the calls to cancel bookings. They said that bookings would only be cancelled if booked directly with the hotel. I certainly got the impression that this was not an isolated incident but hotel policy to overbook and cancel to ensure the hotel was at maximum occupancy. After 30 minutes of standing in line we asked if we could check in and were allowed to do so.
The restaurant hasd a very limited menu but it took 55 minutes from ordering to food appearing, what was ordered was not what came and on enquiring the waitress simply said it was a substitute I asked why I was not told that what I ordered was not available and allowed to choose an alternative all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and no explanation.
The staff are miserable and I do think this hotel needs attention as I have been to other Mercure hotels and the service is much better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us regarding your stay at our hotel and may I express my sincere apologies that we fell short of your expectations on this occasion.

We endeavor to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment with friendly and bubbly staff however I'm sad to see that regretably on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be personally followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Once again my sincere apologies and kind regards

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night. The location was very good for us. The hotel itself was confortable with everything we needed. Service at breakfast was a bit slow but friendly. The lighting in the restaurant at breakfast could be a little brighter but it would be good for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments following your recent experience with us, I'm delighted that the team looked after you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

paul Wadsworth

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a night before going on a week's holiday to South Wales. On our arrival, the receptionist was very helpful and also gave us the details for their free Wifi. Our bedroom was spacious and clean with everything we needed including an iron and board. In the morning, we made use of the spa which included a swimming pool, sauna and steam room as well as gym equipment. The swimming pool was lovely and a really nice temperature too which helped. I would definitely stay here again if in the area. The added advantage of a discount via ebookers website was an added bonus.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments of your experience at the hotel on the website. It is rewarding to receive positive feedback. Something that we try our utmost to achieve, is that each guest has a memorable stay and we do hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Firstly, my review is somewhat subjective after being moved here at 11pm at night due than issue with our previous hotel.

The staff were welcoming and friendly, the room was basic, but comfortable very much in the style of a Premier Lodge although the bed was small in comparison.

The room was fine, not a particularly high finish but comfortable and with free WIFi. The bathroom needed a facelift, a little shabby in places which did make it appear a bit grubby.

The main issue with this hotel is traffic noise, we were ground floor opposite a very busy road so do be aware of that, it wasn't helped by staff screeching into the car park outside our window with music blaring!

A relatively comfortable stay in a basic budget hotel, the place is rather tired looking and could easily be a good hotel with a few changes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at the Mercure Chester North.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Booked this hotel in May to make sure they had a room for my wife and I for August. I received confirmation of my booking (and took payment) at the time of reservation. Luckily I called the day before we were due to stay to confirm the details and was told that there was no reservation for us and as it was bank holiday the hotel was full. The first receptionist was not very helpful and said someone would call back within the hour. No Phone call! I called back and spoke to Jodie who, to her credit, was helpful and said as it was there computer systems fault that she would book us in anyway and they would sort the problem out at head office, I was not sure how as I understood the hotel was full!!

We arrived and were greeted by Jodie who apologised again gave us our key and told us how to find the room. As we were in a hurry to go to our function we gave the room a quick look and on the surface all seemed ok, but it looked very tired with stains on the walls and in need of decorating.

We left the hotel for a party close by and walked through reception to see two staff members arguing at the receptionist desk and completely ignored us as we walked straight past them.

We arrived back at our hotel room later that evening and again was completely ignore by the reception desk staff again - not even a smile or any kind of acknowledgment.

On closer inspection of the room there were hairs on the sheets and pillows, a lack of pillow protectors and the pillows had yellow stains on them and a dripping shower head in the en suite.

The room was very warm and the wardrobe plonked in the middle of the room was the only privacy we had from the interconnecting door (locked luckily) to the room next door (although it may aswell been open for all the sound proofing it gave us).

I am still amazed that there was no phone in the room so we were unable to ring anyone to voice our concerns and no chance of room service or an early wake up call. As it was now very late we decided we had no choice but to stay in the room.

There were banging and doors slamming throughout the night - so sleep was not on the agenda. We were woken to the sound of next doors kettle and spoons stirring in a teacup (not sure how thin the walls actually are!!!).

As we left the room to checkout there was a staff meeting in an office on a landing by the staircase and hotel staff were just sitting outside it on the floor whilst still eating their breakfast - not very professional!

We checked out of the hotel where the receptionist Matt was quite pleasant. We passed on breakfast - so cannot comment on that.

We will not be staying here again which is a real shame because the hotel could be good with some care and better customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2015

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
#2 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!