“Slightly torn!”

The New Mill
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Post code is RG27 0RA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I visited here with my sister and friend and my first thoughts were that the waitresses and bar staff seemed a bit all over the place. It looked like they weren't sure whether they should be waitressing or serving on the bar? In my opinion, it is a little pricey but the food is pretty good. The location, however is beautiful. Sitting by the canal in the summer with a nice drink, is heaven!

1  Thank Amy B
There are newer reviews for The New Mill

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have been to the New Mill many, many times, it's a family favourite and I was married there so yes, I could be called slightly bias but that's not the reason for writing this review. Apart from loving the restaurant I have no other connection to the business.
I wonder where or even if Barry 4221 had ever been to the New Mill as it's not a place I recognise from his description. The food is of a high standard, plenty of choice and Chef is happy to accomodate special diets. I am vegetarian, have always advised in advance of dining and have never been disappointed. Every Christmas I attend the Ladies Lunch with friends and every year we wonder how they can afford to lay on such a fantastic event for the price they charge, it's unbelieveable.
Dining for special occasions or Sunday lunch, the New Mill is top of the list and we have always found the staff to be friendly, helpful and attentive. Sometimes it's how you treat people that counts. In Winter the New Mill is cosy with log fires and deep comfy sofa's and in Summer the stunning gardens and mill ponds speak for themselves, if you have never been, treat yourself to a memorable experience, I guarantee you will not come away disappointed.

3  Thank Shirley A
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We have just married in Antigua and chose the New Mill to host our wedding celebration back in the UK with friends & family. The setting was beautiful, the room decorated for Christmas complemented our wedding decorations.
The team (ESP Angie & Colin) were extremely helpful through all our dealings with them. We had approx 70 guests and have received positive feedback from all. Food (hog roast) and a deconstructed Banoffee pie were stunning & even those guests who didn't like pork were converted! We had a fantastic evening, our party felt special and not part of a chain (big plus considering they were doing 3 back to back)!! We will be back for anniversaries & other special occasions.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Writing reviews on places visited is a relatively new experience and TripAdvisor serves as a medium to express satisfaction or disappointment at the food or service but the frailties of the system lead to misleading observations which are open to abuse.

The New Mill is listed twice on TripAdvisor once as The New Mill and placed third in Eversley and again as The New Mill Restaurant listed fourth in Eversley. This has given Barry 4221 the opportunity to post what he felt was a disastrous experience twice under different headings which serves to mark down the restaurant in its ratings. If the two separate listings were combined with the reviews placed against one name, as they should be as they are for the same place, they could possibly be second in Eversley or even first.

Let me say at this point I have no association with The New Mill Restaurant whatsoever so I have no motive other than to express a review as a customer who had a very enjoyable meal and a whole different experience to that portrayed by Barry 4221.

Having made a reservation with my wife to eat from their Chefs Retro - Classic Menu we were given their Christmas Menu which incorporated the Retro and a selection from the Ala Carte menu to choose from at no extra cost. From start to finish the service was first class and the food excellent with small tasting dishes being provided between each course. The roaring log fire in the conservatory helped compensate for the cold dark evening and make the evening even more enjoyable.

By way of an observation I would say that the Chefs Retro –Classic Menu at £22:50 for two courses or £27:50 for three, which shows what is a limited choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts is on first glance a bit underwhelming but it is the extra little touches provided by the chef that are not mentioned which make this a complete dining experience.

This was our first time at the New Mill Restaurant and will certainly be returning.

P.S. So that all is fair and not to be underhand I will post this review on both listings using different headings, as has been seen to be done previously, but would urge TripAdvisor to incorporate both listings into one and then customers can then make their own assessment of this restaurant.

1  Thank ChamyC
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Having made a reservation with my wife to eat from their Chefs Retro - Classic Menu we were given their Christmas Menu which incorporated the Retro and a selection from the ala Carte menu to choose from at no extra cost. From start to finish the service was first class and the food excellent with small tasting dishes being provided between each course. The roaring log fire in the conservatory helped compensate for the cold dark evening and make the evening even more enjoyable.

By way of an observation I would say that the Chefs Retro –Classic Menu at £22:50 for two courses or £27:50 for three, which shows what is a limited choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts is on first glance a bit underwhelming but it is the extra little touches provided by the chef between courses that are not mentioned which make this a complete dining experience.

P.S. So that all is fair and not to be underhand I will post this review on both listings using different headings, as has been seen to done previously, but would urge TripAdvisor to incorporate both listings into one and then customers can then make their own assessment of this restaurant.