“just great”

Beaulieu, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“just great”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is a great restaurant. We had an excellent dinner here.
All the staff are friendly. The food is fantastic really good quality and not too fussy or complicated.
Be sure to make your reservation on week ends.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank jabobo

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This has to be one of the best kept secrets in the New Forest. A family run business, with superb food, at prices cheaper than most of the local pubs. We’ve been eating at this restaurant for over 20 years. Firstly in the main restaurant, and now in the the Bistro (our preference), which opened some years ago. We’ve eaten here hundreds of times and have never had a bad meal. On the main menu there are at least four dishes at £9.00. This is incredible value for money considering the excellent produce which is always cooked to perfection. My personal favourite is the goats cheese starter followed by chicken breast in stilton sauce (cheese lovers heaven). This is accompanied with a large dish of vegetables (often with fennel which is to die for) and sauté potatoes. This is not a typical French restaurant, so don't expect to be able to manage 3 courses. Also, I struggle in many restaurants to find even one dessert i like, but here I'm spoilt for choice. The summer fruit pudding with raspberry coulis is fabulous. The Bistro in the evening is mainly fully booked and has a nice buzzy feel. Lunchtimes during the week (Tuesday to Friday) it is fairly quiet, you can normally get a table without booking. If you looking for somewhere to eat with excellent service, unpretentious atmosphere and lovely fresh cooked food i think you would find this Restaurant hard to beat.

• Visited August 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Dull, bland, unimaginative”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I recently went to this restaurant with my family while I was in the UK visiting. My parents told me this place was excellent and very popular, and so I was looking forward to the evening. We arrived, the first to be seated in the cold and uncomfortable "bistro" section. We were served by staff who could not have cared less... mechanical and minimal eye contact. The menu could be generously referred to as retro, or unsympathetically called provincial. I started with a crayfish and grapefruit salad, which sounded promising, but grapefruit and tasteless rubber don't pair well as it turns out. My main course of a striploin cooked rare was incredibly poor. The steak, although rare was tasteless and tough. The vegetable accompaniments were terribly overcooked. I couldn't face desert, although several members of my group did and they said they tasted okay. My mother ordered ice cream, which came served in an outzised bowl with absolutely no care for presentation whatsoever. Even though this place is not overpriced, I cannot recommend it anything more than somewhere to stop off if you are hungry. A gourmet or refined experience it certainly is not.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank anderses
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
“perfect”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

here is the place to eat if you don't want to be desappointed!!! the area, the large parking, the atmosphere, the service and of course the food are all perfect!!!! you feel welcome, the menu and the quality of the food have no compare. make sure you book in advance as it is always busy.

1 Thank bleu-blc-rge
Southampton, United Kingdom
“We love this place .”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our favourite place to eat weekends and special occasions. I like the deco,I am actually quite pleased it hasn’t changed into a sophisticated city type restaurant and the best thing about the place is the food . I always know what to expect , nicely presented tasty food, good service ,good price. Never had a bad experience so this was the reason we arranged for our wedding reception to be held at Le Chanteclerc.
The only drawback I would say Le Chanteclerc is so popular we have to book in advance ,it is normally impossible to try to get a table for the same evening.

• Visited June 2012