“Hair in food. Shocking service.”

Sir John Barleycorn
Reserve with OpenTable
Sir John Barleycorn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Cadnam
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dating back to the 12th century, The Sir John Barleycorn is a beautiful thatched tavern on the bank of the River Cadnam in the New Forest. Visit this Gastro Pub for a warm welcome, some fine food and wine, or a pint of outstanding traditional cask ale.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Myself and my wife went to the restaurant and ordered our food quickly. However when my Burger and fries turned up there was a short blonde hair in between the cheese and bacon. The supervisor took the food and hair away and said he would refund the cost of the burger. Understandably my wife was put off her meal completely. When i asked for a full refund the supervisor accused me(full head of black hair) of putting the hair inside it! Safe to say i will never return to the place!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Three of us called in for lunch on 7th December. The food here is excellent. The restaurant is a stunning old building with lots of character. The female staff are very efficient and happy but the landlord who served us drinks, did not come over as the most friendly person you will ever meet. Besides that we loved it here and would certainly recommend this place for a good meal. We all choose three different mains and everyone of them was fantastic. The quality of food is worth the visit. This place is literally just off the motorway on the old romsey road and there is plenty of parking. Good eating!!!

1  Thank Travellerclass
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lovely staff. Friendly service...though perhaps some confusion between the bar and restaurant. I enjoyed one of the best sea bass dishes that I have had....and I have had lots. It was served with a delicious risotto. all piping hot and highly recommended. Unfortunately the dessert of homemade banoffee pie was covered in squirty cream....which I hate, so I shall not order that again, but I am going back for the sea bass.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

A group of 8 of us stopped in at Sir John Barleycorn for lunch on our way home from a walking weekend, as we had done a few years before, and were delighted to find that it was still as good as ever.
I pre booked it and we were in a separate room and served by a delightful waitress named Charlie. Food and service were excellent, large portions and a reasonable price.
Will always call in if we are in the area.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I last visited this pub in 1979 when it was in its original old state. Then it was cosy and very friendly. This visit in October 2012 saw a huge change in that it had been completely renovated inside which took away from the character. Having said that the food was better than in 1979 and the service was fine.

3  Thank Arthur V