“Excellent New Year's Eve”
Review of Tylney Hall

Tylney Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rotherwick
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed overnight and the refurbished room was excellent. The evening commenced with Champagne and canapes, which were as good as I have ever eaten, in the lounge area while being entertained by a great but non intrusive jazz trio. Dinner in the Oak room was exceptionally good with appropriate wines generously served with each course and a pianist playing in the background. Afterwards we danced till 01.00hrs to a great band which played both "standards" and more modern current music. More champagne was served for the toast and a Piper completed the ceremony. The Breakfast buffet was extensive and personal orders were taken in addition. Throughout service was of a high standard. We did not use the spa but the indoor pool it looked very attractive on inspection. Of course the outdoor one was not in use!!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your review following your stay with us for the Celebration New Year's Eve programme. Although the arrangements have been tried and tested over the years, it is always motivating to receive such positive feedback from the guest experience.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the occasion and hope that you choose to return to the hotel at some stage during 2014.
Thank you for visiting TripAdvisor and for taking time to review.

Kind regards and best wishes for New Year

Mark Robinson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were booked into the hotel Sunday for the first night of our honeymoon after having been married on the Saturday. I had chosen the hotel as I thought it would be good to try something slightly more grandiose than the regular run of the mill hotel. I was not disappointed.

On the hotel itself, I really enjoyed the large wood panelled rooms and ornate ceilings and whilst the hotel is tired around the edges I felt it was refreshing not to be hit with an ostentatious, boutique decor as so many mansion style hotels have opted for recently. We unfortunately were unable to experience the gardens due to the terrible weather but will hopefully retune at some point to do so.

The room was in the courtyard area and therefore was a short walk. It was clean and welcoming, and was much needed after the drive. We arrived in enough time to have a relax before the evening meal and this was certainly possible.

We headed to the lounge before the meal for a pre-dinner snifter and ordered a couple of cocktails. The staff were well-presented and attentive and the cocktail was good. I appreciated the option to choose the wine for the dinner before entering the dining room as it meant less fuss at the table.

We eventually were taken to our table and I enjoyed the ambiance in the dining room. As my wife was not drinking I ordered a half bottle of Mouton Cadet and a Sauvignon Blanc which both went down nicely. As someone who has worked with wine, I was impressed with the selection, although the list may have lacked a NZ Sauvignon.

The food was excellent and the service etiquette well adhered to. All the the staff were impeccably courteous throughout.

After sleeping very well, I enjoyed the complimentary newspaper (ordered at the reception upon arrival) and we made our way to breakfast. The food and choice were very good and we appreciated the fruit and the quality of the jams/marmalades. Whilst I do eat absolutely anything I would like second the comment about the toast. I appreciate the issue with keeping the toast warm in transit and it is a problem encountered by hotels and b&bs regularly but by the time the bread reached the table it was on the cool side.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the stay at the hall and were disappointed that it couldn't have been for longer in order to make use of the leisure facilities and the grounds. I would recommend it for anybody who fancies a stay in somewhere a bit more higher level than the ordinary with some old English hotel tradition thrown in.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Your recent review is very much appreciated and I would like to thank you for taking the time to feedback so constructively and in such detail.
I am of course pleased to learn that you were not dissapointed and that you enjoyed the overall ambience and traditional feel that we believe appropriately reflects our core values of hospitality and service.
In addition to our product facilities it is always pleasing to receive positive feedback regarding our team members and it is good to know that you found them well presented, attentive and courteous throughout.
I have noted your comment that the breakfast toast was not at the correct temperature.
Thank you once again for passing on your detailed comments and we hope that you will return at some stage in the future to experience the gardens.
Congratulations and best wishes to you both for the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I would like to make this review as fair as possible as I have had a response from the hotel (which is detailed at the end of the review), however I do feel that it is important to share my experiences. I waited until I had recieved communication from the hotel until posting this review so I could be as fair as possible.

A group of 8 of us went for afternoon tea to celebrate my mother's 83rd birthday between Christmas and New Year. We had been before and had an excellent experience hence the return visit and my mother had been on other occasions with friends. Sadly though the level of service had dropped considerably, this is what happened:

•we were not shown to our table just told where it was

•our 'table' was 3 tables pushed together all of different heights, with insufficient space for the pots of tea

•the tea and coffee took ages to arrive, was served by a member of staff who appeared to speak no English and it took ages as just one person serving for 8 of us

•the pots were then placed on a side table we had to get up to top up our cups, no one came to do this for us or other more tea, until I had made my first complaint

•our afternoon tea was unceremoniously placed on our 'table' it was on 3 large platters, no tiered cake stands in sight (we have been before with more of us in the party and had tiered stands so nothing to do with number in party)

•the scones looked as if they had been flung on the plate, there was no finesse, no attention to detail, no presentation skills evident whatsoever

•for 8 people there were not enough sandwiches and I asked for more, I was told bluntly by the waitress that top ups were not given for sandwiches, she didn't think there would be any left, but she see if there were, her attitude was appalling and the manner in which she spoke, we also asked for hot water at the same time, we all sat stunned at her manner so I left the table and went to her in the reception area, to say I felt her attitude was inappropriate

•after sometime a plate of sandwiches arrived on which were 5 sandwiches, there were 8 of us, not sure how that works? We may have been the last booking for the of the day, the kitchen may have been getting ready for evening serivce, but they had accepted our booking and how difficult is it to make up a few sandwiches, apart from anything else this was insulting to say the least, no care for the guest whatsoever.

At the time I made a complaint and was referred to the duty manager who was apologetic and offered us 50% off the bill. A bill which would have been £200 and quite frankly we had not recieved £200 worth of service! He also took my details for the general manager to contact me, after 6 days he hadn't contacted me, so I emailed him. This was an oversight he said and would get back to me after an investigation, he said in 2 days, it was 4 days later. He was full of platitudes and excuses and didn't address all my issues. Plus because my 13 year old nephew had said thank you he seemed to think this made up for everything!!

It is such a shame when somewhere you have experienced excellent serivce slips so far down the scale, we won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jbb24
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I am extrememy sorry to read your review following your afternoon tea experience and our subsequent correspondence.
As explained there was an oversight on our behalf regarding the time lapse before contacting you and I have apologised for this on two separate occasions.
I did carry out a full investigation into each of the points you raised with the team members as communicated and after taking this into full consideration felt that the 50% reduction made on your bill on the day was adequate compensation.
I agree that the service on the day for your party did not operate to our normal standards for which I have already apologised and accepted accountability.
I would like again to wish you and your family a very happy 2014 and do hope that at some stage in the future you choose to use the facilities of the Hotel.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had a big family celebration at the Tylney in December 2013 and as always, the rooms, service, food and experience was impeccable. We also had Alistair from Ideal Imaging to do some shoots of the family in the Italian Garden and grounds and they have turned out brilliantly...definitely recommend him if you are doing the same!

Room Tip: We had two huge inter connected rooms in the main house....the children wanted to move in permanentl...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Very pleased to read that your large family celebration was successful during December and that your experience of the rooms, food and service (as described) was impeccable.
I am also glad to learn that the photo sessions met with your expectations and that the pictures have turned out as planned.
This is very pleasing feedback overall and I thank you for taking time to visit TrpAdvisor.
We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage during 2014.

Kind regards and best wishes

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We decided to sneak in a couple of days away between Christmas and New Year and booked at Tylney Hall. We opted for full board (bed, breakfast and evening meal) for the two nights. We stayed in a garden room which was a short walk from the main building but brollies supplied by every door and in your room. The walk was rather nice after dinner. In summer this must be glorious as these rooms look like little cottages and are set around a square lawned area planted with trees shrubs and roses. There are also extensive landscaped grounds, duck ponds, walled gardens, tennis courts etc.
Price wise it seemed about right for full board, taking in to account the rather formal evening meal (as one reviewer mentioned it was a bit 'fussy') but the service seemed right for the surroundings which are grand country house style. The three courses were around £40 without wines.
Staff all seemed very attentive - always smiled and greeted you in corridors as you passed through.
The decor in the main house is what you would expect from a Grade 2 listed building with elaborate plaster work on the ceilings and some stern characters depicted in oil painting scattered around!
Our garden room was warm and cosy, huge bed, nice carpets and furnishings. Bathroom fine but will probably need updating in a couple of years.
Booked a couple of treatments and again the staff there were very professional.
So a nice relaxing couple of days. Would we return? Yes but will get on to their mailing list for some two for one offers!
(one teensy weensy complaint - they seemed unable to make toast at the breakfast service. It was either cold and un-toasted or cold sort of toasted with the texture of damp cardboard). Suspect it was the wrong sort of bread for toasting and that it traveled some distance before reaching the tables. Petty I know but annoying lol

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments concerning your recent stay and of course we are delighted that you enjoyed your post Christmas break and that you have reviewed us as a "Bit of a Treat".
It is alweays pleasing to receive positive comments but even more so when staff are recognised as being friendly, attentive and professional.
Glad also to know that you enjoyed both the Gardens and Treatment Rooms and that overall you experienced a relaxing couple of days.
I have noted your comment regarding the cold toast at breakfast and this will be followed through.
Thank you for taking time to visit TripAdvisor and I hope that you enjoy a healthy and prosperous 2014.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 29, 2013

After 3 days of entertaining at home, a gift of a weekend stay in a 4 star hotel was greatly appreciated! Although room was some distance from reception, it was in excellent order and very comfortable. Enjoyed a lovely walk around the grounds followed by a swim and sauna. Dinner in the oak room was superb, beautiful food and very attentive staff, despite a full hotel.Will certainly return,although keen to try other hotels in the group.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay and we are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed so much your weekend break. Your comments about the standard of food and attentive staff are particularly welcome, along with your favourable remarks about the bedrrom standard and gardens.
Thank you for taking time to visit TripAdvisor.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2014.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We first came to Tylney Hall for a company meal- we had champagne on the terrace followed by a three course meal and it was amazing. I have since been back for afternoon tea with my mum and loved it again. There is no more beautiful place than sitting having tea on the ornate sofas- the grounds are amazing, the staff are friendly and helpful and unlike other places I have been there is so much space between tables that it is relaxed and quiet and private in a way other places where they pack tables in tight are not. The afternoon tea was lovely and we had to ask for a box to take some cakes home as there was far more than we could eat. I would recommend it as a lovely experience to anyone and we will definitely be back. I would not stay the night again though as we were not that impressed with our room when we stayed over after the company meal- for the price you expect something special but it was old fashioned, dusty and just not that special. But we will be back for afternoon tea many times

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your very kind comments regarding your afternoon tea experience, it is always motivating to receive positive feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed the ambience and service.
I am sorry to learn that you were a little disappointed with your bedroom when you stayed with us on a business trip, your comments have been duly noted and passed on to our Head Housekeeper.
Thank you once again for taking time to visit TripAdvisor and for the constructive remarks.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2014
Mark Robinson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherwick
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Audleys Wood Hotel
Audleys Wood Hotel
#3 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Tylney Hall? Share your experiences!