“Sadly ignored....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rotherwick
London, United Kingdom
“Sadly ignored....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I haven't had to ever write a bad review, but hopefully this will be constructive, and may improve things going forward. I went here a couple of weeks ago - I had heard good things about the hotel and spa, and booked a table for lunch for a friend and myself as well as a couple of spa treatments each. I arrived early, and went straight to reception as my plan was to have a coffee while I waited, because I was around half an hour early - this was my first visit. I said to a helpful lady at the front desk that I had booked a table for lunch and some spa treatments and she pointed me in the direction of a large adjoining room where lots of people were milling out and arriving for lunch - I stood at the door thinking I would be noticed, but five minutes ticked by, staff walked by me, even looking me in the eye but didn't come over to see why I was standing there...I started to feel awkward thinking it may be something I was wearing, so sat down on a chair and tried to look like I wanted some help....or maybe a coffee? Another 10 minutes, lots of other people seen to, but no, nobody acknowledged me, even looked over a few times and looked me in the eye, but walked on - I thought I would visit the loo to see if me leaving and then entering the room again would help...still nothing - I was starting to feel rather annoyed, more for the fact that I was on my own and there were some large groups and other small groups being seen to, but I was still totally ignored - if it had been me serving, I would have gone up to me, offered me a newspaper/magazine whilst I waited for my friend at least, but nothing - I couldn't bear it anymore, feeling actually a little upset more than anything and went back to the reception and quietly said to the same woman I had spoken to earlier "I have been waiting at least 20 minutes, is it the way I look?? but nobody has noticed my existence and all I want is a coffee while I wait for my friend!! All of a sudden there were people rushing around, a coffee was brought over, biscuits and then my friend arrived just at that moment - nobody in the room apologised apart from the woman at reception, and nothing was said! Amazing! We then had a nice lunch outside as it was a sunny day and quickly before we had to then go to the spa for our treatments, and I saw that they didn't charge me for the coffee, but surely they could have said, terribly sorry, this is the reason why and we are not going to charge you for the coffee...
I am sorry to say this has really put me off going back - the spa treatments (facial and manicure) were really good, but its a long way to go (I live near Haslemere) to have that kind of stuffy and quite frankly backward service - far to stiff and old fashioned and not upfront enough for me - what a shame, and genuinely was looking forward to experiencing the hotel...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay at Tylney Hall. Food was excellent, room was great, loved the spa and swimming pool. Wonderful grounds to walk round. Service was excellent. Can't wait to go back to this amazing place.

• Stayed August 2012
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Spectacular grounds; beautiful manor house hotel. Wonderful attention to detail without being pretentious or over-the-top. Pleasant indoor and outdoor swimming pools. Practically all the staff are pleasant and anticipate your every need. The concierges were particularly helpful.

Room Tip: Each area of rooms offers something. We stayed in one of the garden rooms - overlooked some gardens...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you want to celebrate in style, Tylney Hall is the place.

Stayed for one night, with dinner. The location and situation is to be believed. Staff are ultra helpful without being over the top. Our room, or should I say the Duke Suite, was fantastic. The meal was top class enhanced by the live music, congratulations to the pianist.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Go for the Duke Suite for an indulgent stay!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Oh my word....Thats all I can say. This place is unbelievely fabulous. We stayed here whilst visiting Highclere Castle and famly in Southampton the weekend of the Queens Jubilee. The hotel building is happily situated and the welcome second to none. A porter escorted us and the bags to our accomidation which turned out to be in the newly extended end. Purpose built with all mod cons and easily accessible to the main hotel. The food here is first class. great atmosphere and the style and decor all to my own taste. The staff couldnt have done more.
There is a heated pool here but time limits meant we couldnt try it out. The grounds are amazing. Plenty of little walks to explore. weather permitting of course. This truely is a wonderful hotel. STAY HERE...!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Melton Mowbray, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Excellent service - met from my car to help me in with my bag and then carried it up to my room; everything in the room was explained and shown to me; room service was delicious and a much better choice than in other hotels. I filled out the usual hotel feedback questionnaire but within a week I even had a personal letter from the manger to thank me for my feedback! Great breakfasts, persoanl treatment and a gorgeous setting. I was away on business and this hotel made me feel really comfortable - a rare thing! Thankyou

• Stayed April 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary, upon arrival we had a bottle of champagne waiting in the room as requested, plus some wonderful chocolates and a card from the Manager. We had an absolutely excellent room with outstanding views over the grounds. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We recommend a walk around the grounds if you get time. We didn't use the spa area due to other commitments.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the grounds.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherwick
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Norton Park - A QHotel
Norton Park - A QHotel
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,018 reviews

Been to Tylney Hall? Share your experiences!