“Swift Exit”

De Vere Beaumont Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Let's be honest, the hotel looks stunning. Beautiful rooms, amazing estate and a breathtaking building.. that's probably why you clicked on Beaumont in the first place, right? Well these are certainly the reasons why my partner and I booked into the restaurant for our special anniversary meal.

Seeing what the complex had to offer, along with amazing food photography, made us sure this was the ideal place to eat. Being a short taxi ride from our Windsor hotel we arrived with high hopes as our chariot winded through the estate's car park. However, it wasn't long at all before the sparkle had left our eyes.

The restaurant, and hotel in general, appears very much to be aimed at business conferences and high capacity events. As such, the restaurant was very unappealing to the eye with its conferencesque decor and tables that surround the large central buffet. As you sit down in your smart, special occasion clothes do not be surprised to have people passing by in jeans, trainers and scruffy clothes catching a quick free bite between speakers from a nearby meeting.

How can somebody enjoy a fine meal when the restaurant looks so poor, there is no dress code and there is a bloody buffet sitting next to you?? It was actually unbelievable that an estate so beautiful has just the one restaurant, and one of such low class at that. Our table was booked for 20.15 and we left soon after sitting. As you can imagine, booking a restaurant that late in a town you are not familiar with was no fun. But do-able. Silver lining, we had a lovely time elsewhere.

As mentioned, I have seen great food and room photography but I cannot comment on neither the taste nor the comfort, all I know is the whole experience was disappointing and one that I seek to forget in a hurry. Definitely avoid if you require a fancy meal or romantic retreat.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carlversuslife
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your feedback with us here on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely disappointed to read that our restaurant didn’t meet with your expectations and that you were disappointed with the décor of our Beaumont Restaurant.

We cater for many different people, conference attendees included and I can only apologies that their dress code wasn’t in keeping with your expectations.

I only wish that you had stayed and tried our lovely al a carte menu where you would have experienced our wonderful food.

I do hope you managed to find a restaurant that was suitable for your needs and that you had a lovely evening.

Kind regards

Kim Norris-Guest Relations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,002)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Attended a works do for ~300 people. We had an all day event which by all counts went very well - I arrived around 6pm for the evening festivities.

Food: was fairly standard mass catering fare. Difficult to do anything exceptional when you have so many covers to produce but the soup, chicken and spiced fruit crumble were hot and looked good.

Service: very good. The staff kept everyone happy and service at the bars was attentive and quick.

Room: when you have 300 rooms booked I guess not everyone is going to be a short distance from reception. Room 277 in the South wing appeared to be in a different county - it was one heck of a walk. Room was a little on the snug side for a double, you had to do a side-step shuffle when passing between the bed and the desk to avoid cracking your shins open on the edge of the desk.

Bed: extremely comfortable.

Bathroom: shower was a 70's style tiny plastic shower head over the bath but to be fair gave a decent stream of water.

One other thing - zero Vodafone coverage in the room, had to hang out the window to get a signal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I hope you had a lovely time at the function you attended.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food especially the soup and the fruit crumble and that our service was found to be quick and that our staff kept everyone happy and well looked after.

I can only apologise you found your room a little distance from the main reception but as a large country estate our rooms are located throughout our grounds so all our guests can enjoy our fabulous settings and gardens. I was surprised you had difficulty with your vodaphone signal as they have a tower very close to our hotel, I apologise you had trouble making any calls.

Once again thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed for one night with a travel zoo offer. Cant understand the bad reviews this hotel has received. We stayed in a double deluxe room which was in the white house. From the window the view of the grounds was stunning and the room itself was clean modern and had everything we needed.The hotel is very easy to navigate your way around and be reassured the planes are not a problem whatsoever!!. we both had a great nights sleep in a very comfy bed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. especially a waiter called Tom who served us dinner. He was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant was very full when we arrived but this did not affect the quality of service in anyway.
The dinner was great. I would highly recommend the belly of pork.
The buffet breakfast was more than adequate.
The only reason i did not score the hotel a five was because we asked to upgrade our room to the room next door as it had a balcony but we were told it was already booked, however nobody used that room that evening.
All i all a very good experience and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review of Beaumont Estate following a recent stay with us.

I was delighted your recent stay with us exceeded you expectations after you read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor and that you found your room comfortable, clean and it had everything you needed close to hand.

Thank you for your kind comments about one of our team Tom these comments have been passed on to him to see. Its always nice for one of our team to see that all the hard work they put in is appreciated.

I apologise that upon asking to move rooms into our Whitehouse room that has a balcony that it wasn’t available and that no one appeared to be in the room, it may be that they failed to turn up having made the booking, perhaps if you get the opportunity to return to us in the future you can reserve that room.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to leave a review here on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I wasn't too sure after reading all the mixed reviews but the beaumont estate was worth the risk.
The setting is absolutely beautiful. The room was nice, extremely comfortable bed and very quiet.
Staff very helpful and parking was no problem.
Perfect location for visiting Legoland and a short car journey to Windsor and slightly cheaper places to eat.
Recommend staying at Beaumont, had a lovely stay!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to read your lovely review of Beaumont Estate and that you found our settings and gardens beautiful, it’s always nice to receive feedback from our guests and it is always shared with our staff.

It was nice to know that you found your room comfortable and nice and quiet and I hope you had the opportunity to find some time to relax and enjoy.

I am pleased to see that you got the chance to explore Windsor and the many places it has to offer to have a nice meal, it is a lovely town with a huge historical background.

I hope you get the opportunity to visit with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My partner and I attended a special event here in celebration of my long service to the company.
The food was great, service okay. (all food and drinks laid on by the company so cant gripe there). Looking at the prices for booking a room, I am glad we didnt have to pay!! We would have been very disappointed: firstly, a trek from reception to find our room, to then realise we had twin beds, no shower (only a very shallow bath suitable for Barbie & Ken), if we had been paying we would have asked to have been moved, but this seemed churlish as it was free.
On exploring the hotel it is a place of contrast, "The White House" is stunning, grand and luxe... the "other half" is cold, and bland.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay in "the White House" go for it, beautiful rooms, all with views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Donna H

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel here on Tripadvisor.

Firstly may I say congratulations on your long service with your company and I hope you enjoyed the celebration they arranged for you.

I was however disappointed to read that you found your room quite a distance from the reception and that it didn’t meet with your expectations, as your company had booked the room for you maybe you didn’t feel that you could change the booking, however I wish you had called to our reception team and they could have hopefully moved you to a room more suitable for your needs. Our rooms are located all over our large country estate to enable all our guests to enjoy our lovely setting and I apologise you room was a little bit of a distance away from reception.

I hope you get the opportunity to make a return visit to us in the future, and I again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hotel is enormous ! Finding reception was difficult, poor signage in the dark. Took the cases out and went to reception only to be told to put it back in and drive to another car park. Was given a map to park in car park 5 and to find our room. There was no signs in the White House to say which rooms were where. We walked around carrying cases for about 10 mins. Eventually found a member of staff and asked where our room was, he said he didn't know but was very helpful and eventually found it. The sign for the rooms was on the wrong wall, so it wasn't facing you when you went into the area. Room was on a deal, so we realise it was a budget style room. Adequate but not great but the bed was clean. Not much in the way of tea or coffee, soaps etc but adequate. Went to the restaurant. Was not greeted, waited at least 5 mins and then sat ourselves down because no one was greeting. Sat for another 10 mins no one came to give us a menu. Was told we had a deal menu, three starters, three dinners, Three desserts. Basically, sausage, burger or fish and chips. You could have 2 courses. Burger was ok but fish tasted like it came from findus. The room was cold when we got back but managed to suss the radiator. All in all, this place is beautiful but lacks atmosphere and luxury. We would have spent more money in the bar if it was not used as the restaurant but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Staff service was good when you got served. Breakfast was average but the food greasy and the poached egg cooked specially tasted of vinegar. My suggestion would be, put more staff on and give value for money and people would go back. Unfortunately I wouldn't give it a second chance. Shame because Windsor was lovely and so are the grounds. I can see why this place was pretty empty.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review following a recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that your recent stay with us didnt meet with your expectations and that the issues you raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with a Principal Hayley hotel.

I was particularly sorry to read your experience in our Tempus bar was a disappointment to you and I have passed your feedback onto our Food and Beverage Manager.

We value your feedback and I again wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinions here on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here as we were attending a friend's wedding which was all held in the hotel. Building and grounds are stunning. The wedding was lovely and everything seemed to run smoothly in that regard - the toast master in particular was excellent. The meal was in the old chapel which is just stunning. Staff serving were very efficient and attentive, including bringing extra wine for the table. As we were only there for the wedding we didn't use the restaurant or spa etc. The place is huge which does mean a bit of a trek to some of the rooms, but they give you a map and this wasn't a problem for us. We were in the Old School part of the hotel which was nice and quiet. Room was lovely, almost a mini suite as the bathroom is down stairs and the bedroom up. Room had all the things you would expect. The only negative was that the mattress we had had a dip in the middle - as it was 1am when we went to bed we didn't do anything about it that night. Told the receptionist at check out who was very apologetic. Room was good value at £85 with the wedding discount, expected to pay more given the type of hotel and it's location. Fab choice of food at breakfast. Again one tiny problem was that we were given cold coffee - very quickly rectified when we pointed it out and so it didn't spoil the meal or anything. A little more attention to these little details would make me give 5 stars but overall it was a lovely place and we would consider staying again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan B
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of Beaumont Estate after you stayed with us recently.

I hope you enjoyed the Wedding and that everything ran smoothly, we do have a wonderful setting for a wedding.

I was delighted your room was to your liking and the food, drink and entertainment all made for a memorable stay with us here at Beaumont Estate.

I apologise for the small problem with the mattress and I only wish you had informed us and we could have had the mattress changed for you immediately. I was pleased it didn’t hinder your stay with us and that you would consider staying with us again. I do hope you get the opportunity and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Windsor
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Windsor

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!