Why I still read the reviews some people put on line sometimes baffles my tiny little brain. We were staying in Southampton on the latest leg of our hols, and I decided to look up the reviews for the hotel we were going to next. The majority were not good. Luckily I'm a "well lets just see" person, but still we set off with a little apprehension.
It was really easy to find... and its big... very big! It looks very impressive as you drive in, and it is like a maze. We eventually parked in Car Park 5 (!) and went to find the reception. We were slightly early but were checked in and the receptionist showed us where everything was on the map. We were advised to park in Car Park 2, and find our way from there. We were in room 1 which was on the block at the back of the hotel that so many people had complained about, so I wasn't expecting much. Our room looked almost exactly like the room featured on the website, so we were pleasantly surprised. The room was a fair size too, and had plenty of space for us all. We had lovely opening doors onto the gardens and the play area was just along the path. We got unpacked and went for an explore. Once we had our bearings, and found all the short cuts around the hotel, it didn't seem so big anymore. We decided to spend the first night in the grounds with a picnic near the rather lovely pond, and have a couple of beers. It was later in the play area we started talking to another parent, who was not having such a good time of it all, so we decided to do a little bit of investigation, and started to look at the hotel a little bit more thoroughly.
So here are the bad points... lets get them out of the way.
In places in the North and South block, the public areas are a bit tired. Where the housekeeping staff have pulled the trollies up and down the corridors the wall paper has been snagged or ripped. And you can see where the people traffic is in the hallways, as the carpet tends to be a different shade at the sides to the middle. Our room was clean, but you can tell that it is busy. The attention to detail cleaning wise has just slipped. I'm sure when the housekeepers do not have 400 rooms to clean, the standard will improve. It is by no means dirty, but it still needs a little attention, especially around the bath / taps / bathroom area. The room was very dark, even with the lights turned up full. It wasn't until we got the doors open that we could see the cobwebs on the ceiling. We only had 4 cartons of milk in the room for 4 people, and only 2 cups (but we have that at every hotel). One more thing... it doesn't have any digital channels on the tv or a remotely modern tv. So you are stuck in the dark ages with only the 5 channels. So no kids programmes after 915am.
So now that's out of the way, lets get to the rest.
Our room was nicely decorated, and despite not having any air conditioning, it was quite cool. We had plenty of pillows and a huge double bed (which we soon found out was 2 singles put together... well we laughed!), and the kids had a big fold down bed. The view from the large doors across the grounds was superb, and the play park was easily enough to keep the kids happy for a couple of hours. We had a really lovely night just enjoying the warm weather on the first night.
We checked out the indoor kids room, which was well stocked with toys, and there was another room to watch dvd's, and a Wii to play with. Even though we were the only people to partake of it, there was a milk and cookies hour 6-7. They could have said no, as we were the only people, but a big jug of milk and a plate full of cookies was brought in at 6.30 when we asked about it. We did pay nearly £10 for 2 bottles of lager, but we could have done that most places. The first night we ran out of tea, milk etc... on our way back I popped into reception to ask for some more, expecting to be gives some in my hand. She informed me that she would have it sent over. I answered the door to a lady who had a bag full of condiments for us! Now that's good!
The breakfast buffet was excellent! We came down early, and it was just a short walk across the lawn, and there was no queue, we got sat quickly and had more choices that we thought we would. Everything was lovely and fresh, nothing ran out, and we were looked after very well. We thought it might go all wrong as described in other reviews when it became busy, but it didn't.
All in all, the hotel and the staff provided everything that is described. There's plenty to do, its right by the river for walks, and I never even mentioned the excellent pool! Yeah its not the best hotel that anyone will ever stay in, but its by no means the worst, or even the worst in Windsor. The main thing to do is to see for yourself. You may, like us, be pleasantly surprised...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In picturesque Windsor, lies the historic and unique Beaumont Estate: an inspirational estate offering a luxurious family hotel, a stunning wedding location, along with being a leading conference venue, all set in spectacular and extensive grounds with 414 bedrooms. Our leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool and gym, along with squash and tennis courts open to all of our guests aged 2-12. During the holidays, The Beaumont Bears Club offers a wide range of facilities ideal for helping to keep the kids entertained; a movie room, indoor activity room, outdoor adventure play area, and much more. The Restaurant offers an extensive buffet or A La Carte Menu and we also have the Tempus Bar & Grill which is open daily from 12pm offering a more casual dining experience. Located just 3 miles from Windsor Castle with Wentworth, Legoland, Thorpe Park and Ascot all under 15 minutes away. The M25, M4 and M3 motorways are within easy reach, London can be accessed by train within 20 minutes with the nearest train station is 5 minutes away. Heathrow Airport is only 15 minutes away by car, Gatwick Airport can also reached within 40 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your De Vere Beaumont Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaumont House Hotel Old Windsor
- Beaumont Hotel Old Windsor
- Beaumont House Windsor
- De Vere Beaumont Estate Old Windsor, Berkshire