“It does what it should do!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Beaumont Estate

De Vere Beaumont Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Fakenham, England, United Kingdom
“It does what it should do!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Why I still read the reviews some people put on line sometimes baffles my tiny little brain. We were staying in Southampton on the latest leg of our hols, and I decided to look up the reviews for the hotel we were going to next. The majority were not good. Luckily I'm a "well lets just see" person, but still we set off with a little apprehension.

It was really easy to find... and its big... very big! It looks very impressive as you drive in, and it is like a maze. We eventually parked in Car Park 5 (!) and went to find the reception. We were slightly early but were checked in and the receptionist showed us where everything was on the map. We were advised to park in Car Park 2, and find our way from there. We were in room 1 which was on the block at the back of the hotel that so many people had complained about, so I wasn't expecting much. Our room looked almost exactly like the room featured on the website, so we were pleasantly surprised. The room was a fair size too, and had plenty of space for us all. We had lovely opening doors onto the gardens and the play area was just along the path. We got unpacked and went for an explore. Once we had our bearings, and found all the short cuts around the hotel, it didn't seem so big anymore. We decided to spend the first night in the grounds with a picnic near the rather lovely pond, and have a couple of beers. It was later in the play area we started talking to another parent, who was not having such a good time of it all, so we decided to do a little bit of investigation, and started to look at the hotel a little bit more thoroughly.

So here are the bad points... lets get them out of the way.

In places in the North and South block, the public areas are a bit tired. Where the housekeeping staff have pulled the trollies up and down the corridors the wall paper has been snagged or ripped. And you can see where the people traffic is in the hallways, as the carpet tends to be a different shade at the sides to the middle. Our room was clean, but you can tell that it is busy. The attention to detail cleaning wise has just slipped. I'm sure when the housekeepers do not have 400 rooms to clean, the standard will improve. It is by no means dirty, but it still needs a little attention, especially around the bath / taps / bathroom area. The room was very dark, even with the lights turned up full. It wasn't until we got the doors open that we could see the cobwebs on the ceiling. We only had 4 cartons of milk in the room for 4 people, and only 2 cups (but we have that at every hotel). One more thing... it doesn't have any digital channels on the tv or a remotely modern tv. So you are stuck in the dark ages with only the 5 channels. So no kids programmes after 915am.

So now that's out of the way, lets get to the rest.

Our room was nicely decorated, and despite not having any air conditioning, it was quite cool. We had plenty of pillows and a huge double bed (which we soon found out was 2 singles put together... well we laughed!), and the kids had a big fold down bed. The view from the large doors across the grounds was superb, and the play park was easily enough to keep the kids happy for a couple of hours. We had a really lovely night just enjoying the warm weather on the first night.
We checked out the indoor kids room, which was well stocked with toys, and there was another room to watch dvd's, and a Wii to play with. Even though we were the only people to partake of it, there was a milk and cookies hour 6-7. They could have said no, as we were the only people, but a big jug of milk and a plate full of cookies was brought in at 6.30 when we asked about it. We did pay nearly £10 for 2 bottles of lager, but we could have done that most places. The first night we ran out of tea, milk etc... on our way back I popped into reception to ask for some more, expecting to be gives some in my hand. She informed me that she would have it sent over. I answered the door to a lady who had a bag full of condiments for us! Now that's good!

The breakfast buffet was excellent! We came down early, and it was just a short walk across the lawn, and there was no queue, we got sat quickly and had more choices that we thought we would. Everything was lovely and fresh, nothing ran out, and we were looked after very well. We thought it might go all wrong as described in other reviews when it became busy, but it didn't.

All in all, the hotel and the staff provided everything that is described. There's plenty to do, its right by the river for walks, and I never even mentioned the excellent pool! Yeah its not the best hotel that anyone will ever stay in, but its by no means the worst, or even the worst in Windsor. The main thing to do is to see for yourself. You may, like us, be pleasantly surprised...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with doors that open onto the gardens on the ground floor. Its massively easier to ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was delighted you decided to sample our lovely hotel for yourselves recently after reading some of the negative reveiws on here, as you found out for yourself, it is down to personal taste and opionions. I am pleased your stay met with the expectations you would expect from a Principal Hayley Hotel. We are currently refurbishing parts of our hotel and this should be completed very soon. I was delighted to see you managed to enjoy the surrounding areas.

We hope you get the opportunity to return in the near future.

Kim Norris -Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Hebrew first
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here for a few days on a business trip. The first impressions were good: nice nature around, very helpful front desk, quickly got my room key -and a map to find it. When they warn you during checking in that this is a big property, they are not joking. If you came by car, it is definitely better to find the nearest parking option to your room, otherwise you may have a good 5-10 minutes walk to and from your room and the reception area (including the restaurant/breakfast place).

The walk would not be so painful, if the hotel would not be so old-style. Very narrow corridors make it hard to pass others (especially families), so don't be in a hurry, plan in a way that you may need up to 15 minutes to reach the breakfast area. While you're walking, you will also notice that the walls are paper-thin, since you can hear all the babies cry too clearly through the walls, a conversation here and there etc. This of course means that if you're unlucky with your neighbours, don't expect much sleep, or if someone walks down the corridor late while having a phone conversation, expect to be woken up every single time.

The rooms are not extremely small but that's all the positive that can be said about them. Dark, damp holes without air conditioning. The old-style, cheap-looking furniture, the tiny TV and absolutely no place for your luggage will also not make you feel at home (hopefully). The bathroom was actually in a much better shape, seemed like it was freshly renovated -but, there's no shaving mirror, the shower head cannot be detached and the water pressure is not the best sometime (peak times, when you will also try to get ready to leave). Since nothing removes humidity from the air, even though they obviously make an effort to repaint the walls, parts of the painting shows signs of this wetness. A colleague of mine who is allergic to mold said that he had an allergic reaction while laying on one of the beds in the room (the other one was OK)...

Note that there is no room service available -though I understand that there's no need for this, since nobody wants to stay inside of these rooms...

The reastaurant/breakfast place is not small by any means, still, it had difficulties catering to everyone's needs. It was a usual sight that people are queuing to get in for breakfast -supposedly, after you tell your room number to the lady at the door, there will be another lady taking you to a table, but many people either disregarded this system (the struggling staff couldn't keep up with this, didn't even seem to try) or angrily complained, neither of these helping to start your day in a positive way. The staff also seemed disorganized many times: people were waiting for glasses at the juice counter for up to 10 minutes since they were out and nobody seemed to care, when I asked for something extra from one member of the staff she promised to bring it and then after 10 minutes (seeing her doing everything else but bringing what I asked for) had to ask another lady to bring my order, and so on. At least the food selection and quality are above average, with many different warm and cold options.

The conference facilities were a mixed bag: very nice private bar, very nice external seating options at the bar, good amount of space, many conference rooms -but then there were non-working projectors, faulty cables etc. The hard-working staff did everything they could here but it seemed like they are fighting to keep together a slowly degrading facility.

Bottomline: there are many better options, don't stay here unless you must.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I apologise your recent stay with us didnt meet your expectations. Unfortnately due to the majority of the buildings on our large Estate being historical and old they are going to be an old style. I apologise this wasnt to your taste. I was dissappointed your room wasnt furnished or decorated to your tatse. With regards to room service, we have room service available through our Restaurant, a call down to Reception would have sorted this out for you.

KIm Norris-Guest Relations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Old Windsor hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

After reading some fussy people's reviews of this hotel I have to admit I was not looking forward to stopping here at all. We booked this hotel as it was close to legoland and we were staying for 2 nights. Once we arrived the hotel staff on reception were lovely and helpful and told us how to get to our rooms and which car park was best to park in. Yes this is a big hotel but surely the number of rooms would give that away? Once we got to our room I was totally shocked, it was lovely with a modern feel to it, 2 pillows on the comfy bed a pull out comfy bed for our son, we booked a family room and there was enough room for our family in this room. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice, yes you have to go and get it yourself but it is a buffet breakfast after all!! The staff worked really hard to keep everything full and hats off to them this can't be easy with so many guests. The bar is expensive but that's hotels for you. The grounds are lovely to walk around inc a nature walk. The kids park went down well with our son and the beer tent next to it went down well with us!
Please don't let fussy people's reviews put you off this hotel like most hotels there is room for improvement but loved our stay and would go back if we traveled to London again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Rich-jules13
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Beaumont Estate, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased you decided to experience our lovely hotel yourself and that we didnt disappoint you in anyway. We always appreciate positive and honest feedback and value our guests.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

KIm Norris-Guest Relations Manager
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked this hotel as we were going to Windsor Races. On arrival the hotel looked very grand, the receptionist was helpful and friendly. She warned us that part of the hotel was being refurbished (there was no mention of this when we booked and no reflection in the price of the room). It was a long hazardous walk to our room along a corridor full of work mens tools, spare doors and debris. Our room was clean and pleasant although it was extremely hot. the heat was made worse when we got into what I can only describe as a marshmallow mattress. My husband and I immediately rolled together and unfortunately that's where we stayed sweating hot! The hotel is convenient and has the makings of a nice place to stay but I wouldn't recommend if staying here if you want a comfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I read previous trip advisor reports just before my trip but after booking so I was a bit concerned at what I would find as reports had been mixed.
I was pleasantly surprised though as I found the hotel clean and tidy, the staff very friendly and our room and the food perfectly acceptable. My husband and I were there on a Travelzoo offer and for the price we paid we got excellent value but I am not sure that I would have felt the same if I had paid full price.
The hotel is close to Legoland and as we were staying during the school holidays it was full of families. This did not bother us but it might be nice if there was an adults only bar for a quiet pre or post dinner drink. Breakfast was also a bit hectic but staff were working hard to ease the rush.
The hotel is close to so many interesting places to visit. We managed visits to Runnymeade, tour of Eton college, open top bus tour of Windsor, visit to the Royal Air Force monument, visit to the Saville Gardens and a walk to Smiths Lawn all in 24 hours!

Room Tip: Old School House rooms modern and smart
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a reviewon Beaumont Estate, I was delighted your recent stay with us met all your expectations and that peoples negative opinions on Tripadvisor hadnt prevented you from experiencing our hotel personally.
I am pleased to see you had the opportunity to visit many of our local attractions and that you enjoyed our facilities too.
I hope you get the opportunity to return to us in the near future.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having previously stayed here on a work conference we used this hotel as a base for 2 nights after going to Ascot Races and then a full day at LEGOLAND.
We (family of 3 with 5 year old daughter) booked a family room directly with the hotel chain and obtained a better rate than via Third Party booking agents.
The hotel is quite spread out so be prepared to have to walk a fair distance from the reception to your room but the car parks are also spread out across the site so you shouldn't have too far to carry your bags but it is quite easy to get lost in the various corridors!
I hadn't experienced it when I previously stayed but the hotel is under the direct flight path into Heathrow so the aircraft noise can be quite noisy so you will need to keep windows closed when sleeping.
We stayed B&B but other than that did not eat at the premises so can only comment on breakfast. This is served on in a buffet environment so you can have as much or as little as you like to fuel you for the day.
Rooms are a decent size clean and well maintained.
The hotel is located in Old Windsor so a short walk to the Thames but you will need to drive or get a taxi if you wanted to visit the main town centre which includes the Castle. If eating out and looking for value there is a Harvester close by on the main road.
Overall a nice stay in a family friendly location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a reviewon Beaumont Estate, I was delighted your recent stay with us and that we met all your expectations. I was pleased to see you managed to explore the local area and enjoyed all the facilities we had to offer.
I hope you get the opportunity to return to us in the near future.

Ashford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

As a family we were really excited to be staying in a four star hotel. You'd expect certain luxuries and attention to detail. On approaching the Beaumont our hearts sank as we realised that the old building shown in most of the pictures on their website is not what the hotel is about. The majority of the hotel is made up of vast blocks of rooms like a motel. From the reception we needed to drive to our room as it was so far away. We had interconnecting rooms of a twin and double. These were clean and functional but nothing special at all. On the website it mentions air conditioning, there was none in either of our rooms. It was a hot night and as we were on the ground floor we could not have our patio doors open for personal security. We needed to ask a chamber maid for extra pillows as there were only one each on the beds, this she did happily, but surely this shouldn't be necessary? When it came to breakfast the next day we walked along the maze and miles of corridors to the restaurant. After queuing up for a table we were taken in and seated. It was like a school canteen, only tea and coffee were served at your table, everything else you had to help yourself to out of large steel containers. I fully understand the concept of a buffet breakfast but this seemed to be done on an industrial scale. It reminded me of the Butlins scenes of the 1960's with hundreds of people all sitting down together to breakfast. Not really the four star experience we were hoping for!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I apologise your recent stay with us didnt meet your expectations. Depending on the rate you paid at time of booking would determine where your room was situated in the hotel, without your room allocation unfortunately i am unable to comment on your specific room.
I was disappointed our buffet breakfast wasnt to your taste and that it was busy on the days you were here with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Windsor
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!