“Everything we wanted”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Rye, United Kingdom
“Everything we wanted”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Booked the hotel and then read the reviews on Tripadvisor and wandered what I had let us in for!!

Can't believe some of the negative comments, as we found the hotel excellent.

The room was clean, well maintained and had everything that is needed for a short break.
The staff were very polite, smart and helpful.

The buffet breakfast had a great choice and was always topped up, as was the buffet dinner that we had on both nights. (Just hard to stop eating and certainly didn't need lunch!!)

Great stay, so thanks Beaumont Estate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Hebrew first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for three nights over this weekend to celebrate my birthday and to take our young son to Legoland. I made a non-refundable booking, then read the reviews on Tripadvisor and spent two weeks fretting about how awful the whole experience was going to be. Well, either we have been at the wrong hotel, or we just have low standards, but we loved every minute.

It nearly started badly - the booking on the hotel's system was incorrect and I thought "Oh no, here we go", but the situation was all sorted out quickly and with great charm by Reception. We were in a family room in the North Block (which initially made my heart sink), but it's a one-minute drive (or a couple of minutes walk) from Reception - the room was spotless, comfortable and easily large enough for the three of us. It was boiling hot when we got in there, but, er, we turned off the radiator and opened the windows and that sorted it :)

Throughout our stay, the staff were friendly, polite, charming and couldn't do enough for us - we couldn't fault them had we wanted to. Breakfast is a huge buffet affair with every type of food going - we found it really well cooked and delicious. We have read that people waited forever to be offered coffee - there were always loads of helpful staff around, what's wrong with catching a waitresses eye and asking for coffee? The only thing I would say, it's that it's a huge hotel which is packed with execs during the week and families at the weekend - this morning's (Sunday) breakfast was total kiddie mayhem, but our five year old loved it. I might not have felt so exhilarated by the whole experience had I been at the hotel for a romantic weekend break. It's a five minute walk from the family rooms to the restaurant, but kids love zooming along the corridors, which have large prints by Warhol, Liechtenstein, etc on them.

The grounds are fantastic - we went for long walks on three occasions and had the grounds to ourselves - we were also the only people in the pool on two occasions, so it is very easy to get away and get some peace as a family. As for the noise from the aeroplanes, well, you're on the Heathrow flight path, folks. We live in rural Sussex where it's deathly quiet, but the noise didn't bother us or keep us awake - in fact, we enjoyed trying to identify which airline the planes were from and where they were going (yes, a bit sad, I know). The football pitch is a nice touch - again, we had it to ourselves. There was something going on round every corner, too - an Indian wedding, a film crew making a BBC3 comedy, a trade fair etc etc.

In all, for £297 for three nights B&B in a family room, we felt we got an absolute bargain. We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Coventry, England, UK
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed for two nights here recently and was disappointed with almost all aspects of this hotel.The room was very small. Mine was configured as a twin which made it impossible to fully open the wardrobe door!
The bath room could do with a refurbishment. The trouser press appeared to be out of order until I discovered the switch was under one of the beds???
Old style CRT 12" TV in this day and age was a surprise.
The whole experience felt like they just wanted to get you, get your money and get you out.
They lay out of this sprawling confusing conference orientated mess of a hotel added to the lack of atmosphere and I would only use this place again as a last resort.

Room Tip: Ask how far your room will be from the facilities, mine was a 10 minute walk and some were further a...
1 Thank Blakeyman

Travelers are raving about these Old Windsor hotels

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago now for a work conference.

From the exterior the hotel looks beautiful. Check-in did takea moderate amount of time and the subsequent walk to our rooms took (and I timed later in the day!) 14 minutes to walk down snaking corridors, up stairs etc. which when you have a suitcase, laptop bag & handbag is not the easiest.

Parking was a bit of a nightmare. On day two I resorted to parking in an unmarked bay on grass verge as there were just no other spaces.

We had a printing problem with some documents and I will give the staff credit - they handled this well and were friendly, helpful and efficient. In fact, everyone I dealt with staff-wise were frendly and polite.

The room we had our evening event in was beautiful and the food was fine. The buffet lunch was good, if a strange choice, but the seating was difficult - with too many rows of tables and chairs meaning that squeezing into a seat was nigh-on impossible!

The conference facilities were good, the internet worked and there was a good selection of drinks (cans of coke etc.).

My room was, I would guess, very recently refurbished and very clean. The bathroom was modern and good andso was the TV (unlike other reviews, I must've had a room in a different area). The 'wing' I was in was relatively newly constructed (probably early 90's) -what made this most difficult was the walk to the room. It makes me sound lazy but when youve walked for 15mins only to find your key isn't working/ you've left something in the room it just becomes a bit of a hassle!

I feel fortunate that I get to stay away each month with work and have a little break from home and this hotel was fine for that.

1 Thank KatieCM
Consett
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed two nights for a big conference & dinner dance last weekend.

Check in took forever as there was only one receptionist working for most of the time. A second girl kept disappearing. The room we were given was miles away from reception and when we finally got there it was awful.

The whole room was very tired and I haven't seen a TV that size in many years. Never mind it being tiny and not being a flat screen, I couldn't even get reception for BBC1 without grey lines throughout.

The bathroom was very outdated and had mould growing on the grouting, it also didn't feel very clean and only one small towel was left in the bathroom, with some more towels stored in the wardrobe.

The mattress on the bed was so soft and as we later realised not straight either; we kept rolling towards the middle of the bed.

Now to the worst bit - The food was absolutely appalling. For our annual dinner dance the starter was a leek and potato soup, it tasted of water and not much else with stringy bits of leek getting stuck in your teeth. I just had to laugh at everyone first trying to season it and then still leaving it in the bowl, as there was no improvement to the taste.
The chicken main course was not much better, the chicken was very dry and the mash had a dried out crust on top of it, as if had been standing somewhere hot for a long time.
Crumble for dessert was ok, but I was almost certain that this had been bought in.

The service was mediocre at best and they seemed to be very short staffed in all areas. 15 minutes wait to order drinks was the shortest wait.

Breakfast did not fare much better. We were waved towards the direction of where our group was meant to sit and than point blank ignored for the 30 minutes we spent in the breakfast restaurant. Neither my girlfriend nor I got offered coffee at any point and the buffet just kept running out of stuff. No one even attempted to clear our table at all, even though there were 10 of us sitting down eating, so we just piled up cereal bowls, plates juice glasses etc. in the middle of the table. Whatever we did find available on the buffet was of very low quality and swimming in oil, I would have had a much better breakfast in my local 'greasy spoon'. At least they don't claim to be 4 star.

Luckily we were spending the day in Ascot, where the service and catering were perfect. A big group of us just went straight from Ascot to Windsor, to avoid having to go back to Beaumont House. We had dinner in Mango Lounge and had the best time.

We decided to leave without breakfast after our second night and waited around 20 minutes to check out.

I would never stay again!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were unfortunate enough to have our flights cancelled due to the fog in London this week. After lining up for 5 hours at the airport, British Airways sent approx. 300 people to the Beaumont for the night, giving vouchers for the hotel, dinner and breakfast. My package was missing the dinner voucher for me and my husband, so we were told that we would not be given access to the restaurant that night.
After trying to reason with the person on Reception and three Managers, we were finally told, that they wouldn't give us dinner because, without the vouchers, they would not be able to claim the money back from British Airways. The fact that we had been travelling all day and were hungry and tired meant nothing.
This hotel made thousands of pounds that night, on rooms that would have otherwise be empty. All they were concerned about was the price of two dinners.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patricia G
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for the review, and I am disappointed that you expereinced poor service from our Management team in relation to your dinner voucher. The airlines have very strict guidelines on the redemption of vouchers and naturally as a hotel we do have to abide by those rules, however we could have contacted the airline to query or arranged to have submitted a receipt on your behalf, although I apologise that you were not entirely satisfied with the way we managed your issue.
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently attended a conference in this hotel and it felt like I was back in the 1980s. Don't get me wrong, my room was good (after a hike to get there), but my mobile phone (Vodafone) reception was terrible and the Internet was worse. The company that was hosting the event apparently paid for the upgraded speed, not that you'd notice.

For a hotel that is clearly geared toward company events, they really need to sort connectivity out.

The food is average, the service could be better and I certainly wouldn't spend my own money to stay there.

On the flip side, check out The Chapel room in the hotel - what an amazing venue.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a fair walk from reception, the rooms are modern and nicely furnished, but roo...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Windsor
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!