“Basic, Quaint Little Hotel”
Review of Hawthorn Hotel

Hawthorn Hotel
Hawthorn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Radcliffe B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Since we were visiting family in Radcliffe, this hotel was the most convenient location.

The rooms were basic but clean. There was a flat-screen TV and coffee maker, but no phone. However, the staff let me use the house phone to place a call. The decor in our room was "frilly" with lace curtains and bedspread. My only real complaint with the accomodations was that the bathroom needed a good once-over and the toilet didn't work particularly well. But it is an old property that probably hasn't been renovated in quite some time, so that can be expected.

The breakfast was quite good. We ordered the Full English and it was rather filling and tasty. There is also a small bar/lounge area with televisions and newspapers available.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in walked us to our room and offered to help with our bags. Since there was no phone in the room, he also let me use the house phone to call my relatives.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HillPill

Reviewed May 23, 2011

My pal and I stayed in Room 6 for the night for our trip to Manchester to see Roger Waters. Our host was enthusiastic and friendly and did everything to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The room appeared to have been recently renovated and was clean and well appointed. The en-suite was fresh and clean, the bed and bed linen comfy and clean. We had a TV and plenty of cupboard/hanging space and we had tea/coffee making facilities. The bar downstairs was a plus and the proprietor was happy to organise a taxi for us to get into the city. We would be happy to return to the Hawthorn, either for another pals night out or with our respective other halfs. The hotel is out of town and I am sure our host would agree that one would not visit Radcliffe for the surroundings, but, as a taxi will take you anywhere you want to go, why not go out of town a bit for a friendly face and a bit of banter with an interesting guy.

Room Tip: Ask for the soothing violet hues of room 6
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank asav7
Reviewed May 22, 2011

met by a friendly chap who gave us the keys to the dog end room, we even booked breakfast before we saw rooms.. the room we stayed at was featured on tv,s life of grime .on the plus side it was near metro station breakfast was not good but i have had worse

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank derekm1966
Reviewed September 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hawthorn for a couple of nights while visiting Manchester. We were given a warm welcome from the owner and shown to our room. He apologised to us about the mess in the corridors as the place was undergoing refurbishment and by evening you wouldn't have known the workmen had been in. Our room was clean and comfortable which we regard as important. The staff were very friendly and gave us good advice on using public transport into Manchester City centre rather than taking the car in. The breakfast was excellent in a pleasant dining room. We would recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JockMeldrum
Reviewed July 20, 2010

The hotel is in need of refurbishment and the owner seems to be doing the refurbishment himself so its a bit run down. The area is quite run down too.
There was a bar which was not open at all.
There was only one set of towels for a double room.
The breakfast was fine and the service was fine.
The room was quiet and peaceful.
For the money I did not think it was very good value - if the room was cheaper people would not be expecting a better standard.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2010

This was one of a list of 3 possibles for a recent trip to the area. The others were priced either higher or lower, but this was closer to where we needed to be. We read the reviews and looked at what the hotel had to offer. Added to this that I had Parents who had stayed here many years ago. In fact my Father spent approximately 3 or 4 years here whilst working - though this was 35 years ago. Booking was fine, by email, then I confirmed by phone. On arrival we were met with a very pleasant man, who remained that way throughout or 2 night stay. Though it appears he was the only person running the place. There was a bar downstairs, and some 'dated' decor in the eating areas. The room was a double with en-suite, LCD tv, tea and coffe facilities etc. The bed linen appeared clean, as did the towels, and was warm enough. And that is the best bits I can think of.
The whole place smelt damp. The room decor seemed the same as it would have been 35 years ago, and what was probably a pink carpet then, now had a grey/brown walkway through the room. The 'velvet' pink headboard was now faded with many a head rubbing on it. The bed fell to the middle, and was not comfortable. Two pillows added to about two inches in height when used. The floor was uneven with many cables running under the carpet. Couldn't decide if the ceiling was sagging down or just more wallpaper coming off.
The en-suite was dire. Black mould on the ceiling, a 'lovely modern pink' basin, toilet and accessories (NOT!). Uneven lino floor, not clean. A shower but no bath, that we obviously used (think it had a special 'slow-flow' feature), but would rather not. White tile lined with huge amounts of thick furry mould all over, gross! Recommend taking the toilet roll off the holder before sitting down on the loo - unless you're a contortionist!
Poor decor throughout, though there were a number of signs apologising for inconvenience during decorating - though none could be seen.
Breakfast had a glass of orange juice, choice of 3 cereals, tea/coffee, and a cooked breakfast. as for choice you could have it - or not have it, I would recommend the latter as it had a strange taste!
I have stayed in many hotels for work and pleasure, and may have said that this would only be ideal for tradesmen, but saying that you can get much better for much cheaper, and in a better area.
This is, without doubt, the worst I have stayed in. For £60 per night it is unacceptable.
"the best hotel in Manchester"? I shudder to think of the standards of the others. This should be on 'Hotels from Hell', or maybe better as a £20 a night doss house.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I do not believe the other 2 reviews of this hotel. I booked here on teh basis of the reviews but having been shown my room and had a walk around nearby I checked out and found another hotel nearby. There are plenty nearby at a similar price that are proper professionally run hotels. This one looked like I was the only one there apart from the one member of staff. The whole building had a musty smelly feel to it. The bedroom and shower room had mould on the walls. There is nowhere to eat nearby. No need to stay here, there are plenty of better alternatives.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radcliffe
Travelodge Bury
#4 of 9 in Bury
Home Stay At Black Moss
Home Stay At Black Moss
#1 of 1 in Radcliffe

Been to Hawthorn Hotel? Share your experiences!