“Nice atmosphere and staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mumbai Lounge - CLOSED

Mumbai Lounge
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere and staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Visited this restaurant as part of a large works do party. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly. As there were a lot of us in our party it took a while to serve everyone, things got slightly confusing due to food being ordered weeks before and trying to organise who was having what but the staff tried there best to make sure we were all served as quickly as possible. Due to the fact we had paid for the meals in advance we had to go up and down stairs to get drinks from the bar which wasn't ideal. The food was average, my Tikka Masala was very very mild but tasty, my partner had Madras which he didn't really enjoy as it was very mild too. On the whole we had a good evening, we wouldn't be in a massive hurry to return but we wouldn't deliberately avoid.

• Visited October 2012

Bury, United Kingdom
“Superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We attended here recently after being let down by another restaurant, we were a party of 10 who dropped on them on a Saturday night peak time with no booking, the manager was very understanding and accommodating, he found us an area of our own and with no fuss arranged seating for all of us, drinks were ordered and served very quickly, the starters came just as quickly and were all excellent, the same was with the mains, every one was of a very high standard, very tastey and cooked with fresh ingredients, I can honestly say it's some of the best Indian food I've eaten in a long time, when the bill came there were no mistakes and was very reasonable. We will definitely be going back.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank James G
“Friendly staff, but a very average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just got back from my first trip to the Mumbai Lounge for the Sunday buffet. Initial experience was nice, cozy looking premises and welcomed by a friendly member of staff who showed myself, my wife and our two young kids to our seats. Offered drinks straight away and popadoms with dips were swiftly placed on the table. Starting the poppadoms, I was struck by how quiet the room was, there was music playing but it was only just audible. It gave the room a tense feel, especially when the kids talked. I found myself telling the kids to whisper as to not disturb the silence! As you can imagine they didn't and soon announced our presence!

One of the kids pointed out various holes in the ceiling and asked quite loudly if mr mole lived up there. Although funny, it did bring my attention to the room which could have done with a revamp or a lick of paint here and there. At least get some filler for the holes in the ceiling! Checking the FSA website they do have a 5/5 hygiene rating so Mr Mole must live somewhere else!

The food was plentiful and hot, although there was a very limited choice to what I'm used to at other manchester Indian buffets. The food overall was very bland, the chicken tikka pieces were dry with a kind of chemical after taste, the currys were more like supermarket take out than authentic indian. They were all just missing the presence of flavour in one way or another. Need more of a kick to them too! That said, the kids (age 3 and 5) did enjoy the chicken tikka. The naan bread had the texture of a pancake which I found strange?!

They may have done then but I wasn't made aware of any desert options so we stopped at the supermarket on our way home for some ice cream. Overall, lovely friendly staff, lick of paint needed here and there, but the most disappointing aspect was the choice and quality of the food which I suppose is one of the most important things. Would I go back? Probably not, for the money I can travel into Manchester to one of the bigger Indian buffet venues

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Saxman69
Lancs
“Poor food and service- one to avoid.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Invited here with a party and rather wished I hadn't. This is a very poor restaurant, the key element- food is bland and was undercooked (seems to be a theme here) and the rather self satisfied staff fail to deliver any consistency in the service, got the impression they are more keen on the money than providing a decent product. The place is on split levels and has a number of different dining and seating areas which is not ideal and doesn't give for a good atmosphere. Cant really think of any pluses- one to avoid.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LamcsMr-b
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was more than happy with my first visit here. We went early doors (about 6pm) on a Saturday and were warmly greeted, seated and offered the drinks menu (The house red is very good!). The staff, and in particular the manager were all very polite and helpful. With it being a converted pub it had an unusual layout for a restaurant, and was all the better for it as it added character.

The place soon filled up (unlike some curry houses that sit empty until 10pm) and the atmosphere was buzzing with regulars. We ordered onion bhajis, poppadums and an excellent mixed sizzler starter to share. The main courses were also good, but not exceptional, with the lamb pathia being a bit tough - Most of this got left as were too full anyway! The manager noticed we'd not eaten much of it and asked if there was anything wrong.

Overall, it was a very pleasant (and inexpensive) evening and I would definitely go again.

• Visited July 2012