“Fantastic authentic Greek fooId”
Review of Athena's Greek Restaurant - CLOSED

Athena's Greek Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The New Athena's Greek restaurant after a long presence on the Hoylake's Market Street, is turning a new page and direction with its new management as from July 2013. It now offers authentic traditional Greek food and unique atmosphere. Our aim is to extend our family traditions of which dining is paramount. All our food is home made, cooked with excellent quality ingredients, and love. We hope to deliver to you that treasured taste and experience, close to home and to your loved ones, right here, in our beautiful Hoylake village.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went Saturday 21st Sept, this is our second visit since Yannis and his team took over. We had a selection of starters; Kefteds, Patates Tiganites and the Tirokafterid which is wonderful. For our main I had mixed Soulvaki and my husband had The Kleftiko. We had ordered far too much and just couldn't fit in a desert. The waitress kindly wrapped Baklava for us to take away. We were presented with a shot of Ouzo and what can only be described as a bakewell tart in a glass - Yummy. Yannis is a perfect host who cares passionately about serving authentic Greek food. We were lucky to spend a week in Santorini this summer and can honestly say that the food took us back there. If you want the real taste of Greece and not a British imitation then this is the place to go. We will be returning again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went back again last night on a spur of the moment thing and the food was amazing again.

My partner and our son had garides saganaki (which I must admit I wish I had - in fact my partner's just printed the recipe off to make at home) and I had loukanika (which I found really nice, but a bit dry, but my son preferred it to his garides)... For mains, my partner and I had the mixed souvlaki and our son had the katsiki on my recommendation and once again the portions were HUGE and DELICIOUS.

BUT, Athena's can best be summed up by the overheard conversation from the next table:

I'd overheard the gentleman saying something about the meze coming in bits, as opposed to all together, but didn't really pay attention, however, there was a bit of kerfuffle at the end, as they were paying... It appears that they objected to the price of the wine being knocked OFF the bill as the food was THAT good - it made up for the shortcomings with the meze!

I found out later that they were unfortunately short-staffed in the kitchen last night, hence the minor problems, but when people are objecting to getting a freebie, you KNOW that a place is FANTASTIC!

1  Thank Adam C
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked a table for me and my partner, we were really looking forward to the meal but what we got was so disappointing the food was deep fried tasteless left us feeling like our night out was ruined : (( Shame because the restaurant was lovely inside and looked like it was going to be a lovely place to eat.

1  Thank 101joanne
Yannis2908, Owner at Athena's Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Joanne, we are really sorry to hear about your bad experience at Athena's in December 2012. However, since July this year the restaurant is under new management and with a new chef creating freshly cooked authentic greek dishes. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you and your partner in the new Athena's.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had a lovely meal here. The food was fresh and well prepared. We particularly enjoyed the stuffed sardines, the homemade sausage, the Greek salad, the stuffed aubergines, and the grilled sea bream. Nice bottle of Nero D'Avola too. The service was attentive and unintrusive. Surroundings pleasant enough. The bill was very reasonable for the quality of the the food.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I love Greek food, I travel to Greece frequently and have visited many Greek restaurants. The food here is average which is a shame it's a nice restaurant but staff not as attentive as they should be. Salad not as fresh as it should be and feta cheese tastes like it was out a supermarket. Come on guys get your act together if your going to be so expensive then at least deliver quality food