“The Devon Doorway - great food”
Review of The Devon Doorway

The Devon Doorway
Ranked #14 of 75 Restaurants in Heswall
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our menu changes with the seasons and is modern British, comfortably interwoven with some Mediterranean influences.It ranges from traditional favourites such as fish and chips and steaks to freshly made pizzas and pastas with the chef’s daily specials showcasing the finest market fresh ingredients. There’s something for everyone and for all occasions too. You don’t have to go for the full works if you don’t want to, just have a snack and a lovely drink in the bar with your friends.Wine is something of a passion for us and nothing pleases us more than when we unearth a new discovery that blows our socks off! We’ve got everything from crisp refreshing whites, trendy pinks to fat juicy reds by the bottle or glass so we are really looking forward to your reaction to all the latest treasures!We are also very proud of our beers and we have a great selection of cask ales, super chilled draft and bottled beers to quench your thirst.Just stop by for a pint of ale, read the papers and chill out or book a table and enjoy simple food prepared with care.
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I've eaten here over a number of years and the food quality and service have always been great.

Place is always busy and always buzzing.

Will return again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I love going to this Restaurant and Bar. On every occasion we have been we have always had excellent food and service. Good choice of food and the place has a lovely ambience. It has an old fashioned look mixed with modern. I would definately recommend and I am surprised at some of the previous negative comments. The only negative point for me were the price of the drinks. £7+ for a large wine I think is a tad expensive. If I had realised it was so expensive I would have bought a bottle of wine as I had 3 delicious glasses I did think £21 was a lot to pay but it was worth it as we had a lovely evening.

Reviewed October 15, 2011

My Wife and I visited the Devon Doorway in Heswall earlier this evening we did not make a reservation. On arrival we were told that a table would be 15 mins. We had a drink in the bar and before we had finished it were shown to our table. The waitress allowed enough time to view the menu before taking our order. For Starters we had the rustic bread sharing plater a selection of homely chunks of bread, olives and a roasted garlic with oil and vinegar, which was throughly enjoyable.For main i went for the fruit der mer stonebaked pizza which was fantastic chunks of tuna, tiger prawns and anchovies on a light base and a beautifull tomato sauce. My wife went for the braised rabbit pasta, a large bowl of ribbons of pasta a light creamy sauce and a huge portion of rabbit it looked so good i had to try it. The meal was a triumph. The service was attentive but unobtrusive. From my first visit i can not see where the negative comments have come from. I would not hesitate to recommend the Devon Doorway and will be visiting again very soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

Dreadful service do not visit under any circumstances. Turning up with out a reservation we expected to either not get a table or have to wait, on entering the restaurant was half empty so were hopeful. Having been ignored for over ten minutes by staff busily doing nothing we were eventually told there was an hour wait. We did wait and when are turn came sat down and ordered immediately. We thought a burger and a steak were easy to cook. After another hour the food turned up. The burger was cold as were the chips, the steak was not cooked but the garnish was. But by far the worse thing was the manager she was incredibly rude, implying that we should just sit down and let them try to cook it again. Under no circumstances go here - the chippy up the road is far better.

2  Thank Howard W
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I booked a table for Friday 8.15pm. There was a small queue of people waiting to be seated. There was clearing seats and tables available so I don't know why we were directed to the bar with a time frame of 15 minutes wait. Trying to get served at the bar, we waited a while, only two bar staff working on slow time. Our wait turned out to be half hour with my husband having to search for a member of staff regarding when we will be seated. The staff aren't bothered whatsoever, and no apologies for our long wait. The atmosphere is very cold and unwelcoming. To be honest very snobby and its only a pub you would think it was The Ritz! Again, we waitied sometime for our so called starter which was bread, so all they have to do is slice and serve it, this took over hour! Never again, we have been before and again the service of the staff is terrible. The meal came after 15 minutes...the food is nothing to recommend for the 2 hours time we wasted. I don't mind paying expensive for good, service and fine quality food, but this place takes the biscult. WOULD NOT recommend this place it needss a good shake up and for someone like Gordon Ramsey to tear it apart. Stay away much better places with better service and staff who know what they are doing.

2  Thank Misstwinklestoes