“Warm, friendly, immaculate and professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Trehellas House

Trehellas House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washaway
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Warm, friendly, immaculate and professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March 2013 and was hugely impressed by this small and very well run hotel. Lovely rooms, very pleasant bar and restaurant. Worlds away from the prescriptive and predictable hotel chain type experience and made to look so natural, uncomplicated and welcoming. An excellent stay, well worth the cost - would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mikelawtons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a really friendly and well run hotel. it is perfectly situated to see all that Cornwall has to offer. The owners are very helpful and will do their best to improve your stay. I like to book one of the two single rooms, as I travel alone and it works out cheaper. I enjoy the room in the little coach house, which is delightful, apart from the shower which is just a squirt of sometimes very hot or very cold water, sorry maybe I use it wrongly. Breakfast is excellent and I enjoyed the delicious smoked haddock and poached eggs very much. Dinner can be included as part of a deal can be a tad unadventurous, however always quality ingredients, well presented and reasonable wine list including some local Camel wines.
I recommend Trehellas to anyone wanting a base to see Cornwall and I am returning soon

Room Tip: I like the coach house rooms as they are modern and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were made to feel very welcome. The standards are high and the people are friendly Alistair and his wife are excellent hosts and the deal we had was excellent. I can only recommend this hotel was superb.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2013 for my birthday.

We had a lovely little room which was quaint, cosy, and surprisingly quiet considering it was at the front of the property close to the main road. The bed was comfy (if not a little soft) and there was a lovely powerful shower etc.

There was a good variety of breakfast options, both continental as well as several varieties of cooked options; we had to go for full breakfast everytime though!

The only slight let down was the slightly stand-offish staff, having said that the older lady who served us breakfast on our last day and checked us out was lovely.. The others could do with some of her smiles!

I'd visit again if I was in Cornwall though, we have family nearby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KDuffell86
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I am reluctant to have a wee moan as the client I was working for had a special deal
I arrived late afternoon and the young man at reception just turned his computer chair with no welcome, I queried a light meal and with reluctance he said there maybe the possibility of. Cheese plate which I declined and instead decided on Dinner
A young lady took me to my room explaining she no longer works in the hotel ,the room was freezing cold and I turned the radiators on ,not a good start
However the service at dinner by the same young man was very professional I had the steak and dessert special offer the steak was superb as were the chips so much so I declined the dessert
The room was quite small but spotlessly clean and the next morning the shower was good too ( take plenty of toiletries with you as you get very little just one small bottle shower gel and one small shampoo on arrival)
Wi fi is available in the main house there are two lounges both very comfortable and there was an ambience of a family home and one night there was even a debate very friendly I must add there is no bar but drinks will be served ,the Lady owner was lovely and certainly made you feel comfortable and very welcome,all the young staff were trained to a very high standard something lacking in most Hotels nowadays
Every night the food was top class and every morning the breakfast was excellent ,eggs were fresh from the Hotels own Hens
one of my colleagues asked me about the hotel my answer was this
It's great the service is from a forgotten era ,the single room was small but cosy
The owners must work very hard to keep such high standards of service I think it's a Restaurant with rooms I will be very happy to stop there every time I come to the area oh! Have the Cod and Seafood Taglitelli its wonderful oh so are the steaks oh so is the The Rack of Lamb , the breakfast sausages were a bit grisly though
Please support this Hotel you will not be disappointed go for a meal or stay over
I bet its great in the summer with a pool too
Enjoy !!!!

Stayed February 2013
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having dined previously at Trehellas House we were very impressed not only with the food but the lovely ambience and impeccable service, so finding ourselves visiting Cornwall on a business trip, it was a 'no brainer' where we chose to stay for the night. On arrival, the the staff were attentive and efficient, our room was very clean and comfortable and came with all the usual facilities. Our evening meal was excellent and the local wine a real treat. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and plentiful. The grounds are lovely (even on a cold day in February) and we hope we have an opportunity to stay again at Trehellas Hotel. Thank you to all concerned.

Room Tip: Can recommend Wadebridge Room. Can't say about other rooms. If you are tall person you might fin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Dined here last minute on a Monday night without a booking. After ordering in the lounge we were shortly shown to our table, whereby our steaks arrived very quickly. We barely had time to indulge in the bread and balsamic provided because the meal arrived so soon! We both went for the steak and desert deal. Good quality steak, which was cooked and seasoned well. Dessert was clearly homemade ... Not sure why a berry coulis was put on the plate with the sticky toffee pudding?! That aside the pudding was moist with hints of ginger ... Lovely. We also shared a cheese course, which included a nice selection of local cheese. Overall the service was friendly and attentive, maybe a little more attention to detail would enhance the diners experience. Will be returning the future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washaway
Tredethy House
#1 of 3 in Lostwithiel
Westberry Hotel
Westberry Hotel
#5 of 9 in Bodmin

Been to Trehellas House? Share your experiences!