“Perfect weekend away”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My husband and I were a little nervous about our stay at the Lugger after seeing some of the reviews on tripadvisor but we needn't have worried. The hotel is wonderful. The location is absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are pleasant enough. They are not 5 star but they are clean and the bathrooms are spacious and our room (301) had a lovely terrace which we used a lot. The setting of the hotel is the reason to go there though - it is really stunning and I recommend table 21 for dinner and breakfast. We think it offers the best view for 2 people as you both get to see the sea and eachother! Lovely food, very good choices on the menu each night and breakfast was lovely if a little heavy. Portloe is tiny and the local pub - Ship Inn - was worth it for a quick visit to taste the ale but I wouldnt go again. Bit out of the dark ages and not the cleanest of places....the carpets on the floor were filthy but I guess it is the country so muddy boots are plentiful. Fridge in the room which they fill with soft drinks and water which is great. Only slightly strange moment was the offer or veiled request (which is how it felt)when paying the rather large bill that we leave a tip...you'd rather leave it along the way but it felt very uncomfortable to be asked directly whilst you are being handed the chip and pin machine. We obviously felt obliged to so its a tactic that works everytime I imagine but its not cheap and we were paying £330 per night. It is not a flash hotel by any stretch of the imagination. Minor point though - go if you want to escape it all and recharge (no mobile reception). Dont go if you want to be sociable and stay up drinking in the bar at night.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Darls3000
There are newer reviews for The Lugger Hotel

Reviewed June 6, 2007

I stayed over the wet May bank holiday with my girlfriend for two nights. The location is fantastic, stuck at the end of tiny narrow lanes meaning you will never be overwhelmed by others. We have been to other similarly described hotels so we had high expectations. We were staying in a superior double. It was nice but not big and sparcely equipped. For example there was no comfy chair. There are nice lounge areas to sit and read with a variety of mags and daily papers. The dining room was really pleasant and the service good though my other half found the way they whisked away unused items through out the meal annoying. The menu's look very appealing but are generally disappointing with most items over cooked. Even the full English was lack lustre. This is a shame as the ingredients are fresh and locally sourced. And its expensive. Try £7.95 for a beef sandwich of which a large part was thick fat though the actual meat was excellant.
Oh and the quoted 20 minutes to Eden Project is actually 50+.
Our two nights cost us £750 all in. That is a lot of money and I think one has the right to expect a lot more than they deliver.

Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank Windsorbloke
Reviewed May 31, 2007

Just spent the weekend at this hotel with my wife for her birthday. Happy to report we had a truly great time, my wife has demanded we go back next birthday!

The location was spot on and as the main point for our visit was to get out and about on the cliff top paths, we couldn't have asked for better. The weather was on our side too.

Our room was not the largest I've ever stayed in, but it was the size you would expect in a 17 century fisherman's cottage and was certainly not cramped. My wife and I had plenty of room, for ourselves and.. all of her clothes. It was immaculately clean and well kept, and the luxury towels and powerful showers were an added bonus.

We found our first floor room very quiet and did not encounter any noise other then the sea and the seagulls (and the odd fisherman). In fact, my wife did comment on how quiet it was and we live in the countryside.

The Staff were very friendly and polite and were always around in the background, ready and waiting to help, whatever it may be for.

Our Room rate included breakfast and evening meal and these were always superb. We certainly didn't go short and there was plenty of choice. The dinner menu was not overly trendy or fussy but wholesome and honest food, prepared perfectly which suited us after our days spent walking.

On our final evening after dinner we retired to the terrace overlooking the sea, and enjoyed the cool breeze from the water, whilst the sound of a buzzing, happy, dining room intermingled with the soothing sound of the waves breaking just feet away from us. It was a lovely end to a fantastic weekend break.

A little tip: the rooms have fridges (with a few complimentary soft drinks thrown in) We bought our own drinks with us and served ourselves from this little fridge before dinner, thus saving ourselves temptation and a small fortune too.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pherick
Reviewed April 15, 2007

My wife and I had been away being entertaiuned by clients in Dubai and getting 'pampered' by the usual 6 star luxuries so I thought I was already pretty relaxed and refreshed. However on leaving the Lugger I felt a deeper sense of contentment, the sort that can be found by finally stumbling upon a truly authentic, luxurious and wonderful haven we can escape to whenever life gets too hectic. Days
spent walking the beautiful cliff paths seemed to invigorate my creaking joints (though they were aided by an excellent massage at the spa), the sea air perfectly building a hearty appetite that was well satisfied by the wonderful meal we shared in the restaurant. Evenings were spent in a contented haze (there were some excellent wines available!) looking out on to the bay and feeling that everything was alright with the world. I would thoroughly recommend the Lugger, great location, welcome, staff...just don't all come at once - it's my secret!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Marlowmuddler
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Set in a beautiful cove in a small Cornish village, the Lugger Hotel was exactly as had been recommended. Friendly staff, good food a homely atmosphere. Secluded but not empty, comfortable but not outdated, elegant but not pretentious, a fine place to spend a weekend.

In spitting distance of costal paths and beaches, plenty of opportunity to sample the local delights and reflect in an atmosphere of calm and tranquillity.

My thanks to the manager and his team for a joyous weekend

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jgunn
Reviewed March 14, 2007

My partner and I stayed in February and had the best short break ever. Food, service, atmosphere, in fact everything was first class.

At one point we managed to get ourselves lost on the coastal path, with no taxis available. No problem – Ben (the manager) came and personally picked us up! This was a first for me and really summed up the attitude of the staff. We understand (as pointed out by a previous reviewer) that the hotel has been undergoing some tumultuous changes and hope this hands on approach to customer service is never compromised.

I cannot really believe that the bad reviews can be genuine; could it be someone with an axe to grind? Whatever, I’d thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we did!

Loved: customer focussed service, beds, location, food
Hated: the snobby hotel we had lunch in a few miles west!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MorlayR
Reviewed December 22, 2006

I have just returned from a three night stay. The room I was given was in the annex, with a beautiful seaview. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was adequate. The Seboni Spa products were wonderful, and this encouraged me to try their Spa.

Unfortunately this was not a happy experience. As a previous guest remarked, the Spa room is off/under the car park, and the therapist was extremely 'chatty'. In my opinion the products were good, but the therapist was not up to speed with her treatments.
I also feel that the treatment was poor value for money. Nail polish poorly applied. A different therapist arrived to give me a massage and she was much more competent.

The service was unobtrusive and more than adequate. As a previous guest remarked - there is no one to take your bags to your room, and I found this irksome.

On balance, I would stay there again as the people were most helpful, but I would avoid the spa at all costs.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank aston1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Fowey Hotel
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Llawnroc Hotel
The Llawnroc Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gorran Haven

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!