“Birthday treat???”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Truro
“Birthday treat???”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I wanted to treat my best friend to a Portloe crab sandwich lunch at the Lugger, for her birthday. On leaving the establishment after paying £26.00 for the meal, I told the man who had served us that the meal had been completely Forgettable. What I should have done was to refuse to pay at all, but didn't want to entirely spoil my friend's day. I was appalled. The following are my friend's comments...."we were disgusted by the mean-ness of what we were served. Two slices of cheap brown bread with the minimum of crab filling, packed out with creme freche, a minute handful of leaves drowned in oil and very obviously, one small packet of crisps split between the two of us and a tiny piece of lemon. Our two fruit drinks were brought, swimming in ice which we had not requested and didn't want. This cost my friend £26.00. I did complain at the desk. It barely registered. There was no apology. We thought highway robbery died out in Cornwall many years ago, obviously we were wrong. My friend has a lifetime's association with Portloe. The last time we went to Portloe, we both looked at the menu displayed outside the hotel reception, we expected very high quality. We didn't get it. To describe the style of this hotel is 'all front, no substance'. Its only asset is the sea and the beauty of the village and cove.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank poppyTruro
OHIML, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
I am extremely disappointed that you were unhappy with the service and food you received during your visit. Your comments have helped us identify some shortfalls in our restaurant service and we have been able to address these training issues with our staff, thank you. With regards to the food you received, I have spoken with my Head Chef and he wishes to pass on his apologies that this was not received as would have been expected.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Having read the latest reviews of the Lugger Inn on here, I could hardly wait for my perfect experience to begin! But I'm sorry to say that my experience could have been a bit more perfect. It has to to be said that the hotel is in a stunning location. Who could not enjoy a leisurely sunbaked breakfast outside on the terrace watching the fishermen set out to sea? Falling asleep to sound of the waves? Or exploring the meandering coastal paths on either side? The room itself was clean and well-maintained if a little difficult to access and with no view as such. However, its the "little things" that need a little work on. The tea and coffee tray was not fully restocked each day; one day I had flannels, then one day I didn't; one day both still and sparkling water, one day only sparkling. A little jug of milk was available on request, but nothing to let the guest know that (a little note on the tray would be an idea). There was nothing to indicate what channels were available on the TV (something for the guide). Envelopes in the hotel guide but no note paper. Little things really, but easily corrected. I had the impression that all the regular staff had been abducted by aliens overnight and that everyone there was just helping out as a favour (I think in reality that due to the Indian summer weather a lot more guests than expected arrived). On arrival there was some confusion about my booking (which I had done via an on-line agency) and was left feeling that I had done something wrong and that I shouldn't really have been there. I wasn't shown where the public rooms were and no mention was made of the spa facilities. I was asked if I would like to dine in the restaurant that evening, but could not be shown a menu. Having had read good reviews I decided to book anyway. The view from the restaurant over the cove was amazing. The food was very nice, and used local produce (e.g. the plaice from St Ives), but was expensive for what it was. The waiting staff were very friendly but despite being in a constant rush there was a considerable wait between courses. This seemed to be even more the case at breakfast, where cutlery, condiments and food ordered seemed to go astray. The staff were obviously doing their best but needed help. I have to emphasise that apart from the unfortunate "welcome" all the staff were friendly and obliging during my stay. While not a criticism as such, just my personal opinion, I think the Lugger could make more of its "sense of place". I was intrigued by the mention on the website of a possible smuggling connection, but did not see any further mention of this at the hotel. (The nearby Ship Inn has a local history of Portloe which gives some interesting background to the history of the hotel). The Cornish breakfast might be more Cornish with some hog's pudding or the use of local jams and honey. And using Cornish produce (such as local water, biscuits, or even the local Tregothnan tea) in the bedrooms would dovetail nicely with the use of local produce in the restuarant and add a sense of place and luxury. For a hotel aiming to occupy the luxury boutique slot, I think it needs to be a little more consistent in attending to the details and quality of service. Previous reviews indicate that excellence is often achieved, but not always. Having said all that, I did have a good time. Honest!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank ymwelyddCaerdydd
OHIML, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
I would like to thank you for your constructive comments as these will aid us with staff training and continued improvements. Please be assured that we do take your comments most seriously and I have discussed your comments in detail with the team. It is through guest feedback we are able to monitor and improve on our levels of service.
Hampshire
Reviewed August 21, 2009

When I booked this for our first break away without our small children in nearly 6 years, I was a little worried having read some of the previous reviews. I needn't have been. Whatever problems they had before (staff etc.), they have obviously taken everything on board and ironed out every single niggle, because the place is complete and utter perfection. The staff were fantastic and not at all 'in your face' with it - just very professional. We have stayed all over the world in some beautiful hotels, but this is now, by far, the best and at the top of our list (well, perhaps along with La Locanda in Radda in Chianti). Okay, so we were given, in my view, the best room in the hotel (we were upgraded without even being asked to be). It helps when you wake up in the morning, open the shutters and see the waves crashing against the rocks right in front of you and watch the fishermen bringing in their catch of crabs etc. ready for your incredible meal in the evening! We're not keen on large, chain hotels with that, well, what can I say, 'Footballer's Wives' touch. We prefer low key, hidden away, simple but elegant, tasteful, a little extravagant (expensive toiletries, fabulous food and wine etc.) places to stay, in private, tucked away locations - this was it. Despite the fact that it was raining, I went for a walk along the coastal path right by the hotel, and it was simply breathtaking. We left, after just two days, feeling as if we had experienced the ultimate in relaxation in the most exquisite form. Words to describe the whole experience - stunning, romantic, tranquil spot with excellent attention to detail, First Class in every way.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 21, 2009

A little gem of a hotel, in an incredible location tucked away in a protected harbor. We stayed here our last night in Cornwall, and we wished we had spent all our time here. The area is beautiful, and the hotel, small cozy and intimate. The staff was welcoming, and the room--with an incredible view--was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed, and great linens. The bathroom and shower were great. We had dinner in the restaurant, which excellent. The waiters were pleasant and the food was well prepared from good ingredients. It was a bit slow to come out however, but in Portloe there's no reason to be rushed.
Falling asleep and waking up to the sound of waves crashing on the rocks was wonderful. The breakfast is average, but the continental buffet and juices were much better than the cooked breakfast.
We'll make it a point to come back to Portloe and the Lugger soon, would be great to experience it in the winter time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dublin
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The Lugger Hotel in Portloe is a total delight. Portloe is a beautiful small village set in a cove and is very well served by this small but exceptional Hotel! I spent 5 days there, walking and touring the area (great walking around, near EDEN and HELIGAN gardens). The rooms are crisp and white with everything you need for a comfortable stay. Those with terraces over the charming village or wth Sea Views are worth paying that bit extra for. The breakfasts, everything from exotic fruits and cakes to all things fresh-cooked to order were great and well worth getting up early to enjoy at a leisurely pace. The exceptional daily Dinner Menu was a real surprise to me - terrific fish and shellfish but much more too and all cleverly married with inventive ingredients. The staff, all of whom you quickly know by first name, also set The Lugger apart from neighboring hotels. Everybody without exception at The Lugger Hotel is attentive and helpful, warm and friendly . Enquiries are instantly attended to, and if you are willing, any amount of local knowledge or tips to enjoying your stay are imparted. There is also a great pub in Portloe 'The Ship Inn' which has a lovely garden and serves great lunches and dinners piled high (so you can explore more outside the hotel) and the Portloe Tea Rooms, right in the middle of the small village, is just charming with the best cornish cream tea, fresh sandwiches and home-baking. In all I genuinely can't wait to go back. PS no cellphone reception in Portloe but free WIFI at The Lugger. Josephine Dublin

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed at The Lugger last weekend and it was everything we'd hoped for our special anniversary weekend without the kids. The location is right on the tiny harbour in Portloe and is spectacular - steep cliffs, crashing waves, crying gulls, sea breeze and the smell of salt. The hotel looks nothing special from the outside, but inside it is warm and intimate, decorated in a cream pallette. Our deluxe room was sparkling clean and comfortable (not huge, although the bed was!), with an outside patio area for lounging around, people watching. Staff were young, friendly and helpful, which contributed to the relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere. We ate dinner there on both nights and found the food delicious on both occasions. It's probably a tadge on the pricey side for B&B, but on a par with other quality hotels in south Cornwall. Would definitely recommend for a romantic weekend away, particularly for those - like us - who hate the whole 'country house hotel' chintz and snobbery scene, but still want to enjoy great food.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Boutique not grand.
I found the staff welcoming and helpful and the dinner very good indeed. To be objective I have had better cooked breakfasts but really that is trivial compared with the overall impression
The bedroom was very comfortable and extremely tastefully decorated as was the rest of the hotel.
The views from the restaurant are wonderful

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Fowey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gorran Haven
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!