“Pure Heaven on Earth in Every Respect!”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Reviewed August 21, 2009

When I booked this for our first break away without our small children in nearly 6 years, I was a little worried having read some of the previous reviews. I needn't have been. Whatever problems they had before (staff etc.), they have obviously taken everything on board and ironed out every single niggle, because the place is complete and utter perfection. The staff were fantastic and not at all 'in your face' with it - just very professional. We have stayed all over the world in some beautiful hotels, but this is now, by far, the best and at the top of our list (well, perhaps along with La Locanda in Radda in Chianti). Okay, so we were given, in my view, the best room in the hotel (we were upgraded without even being asked to be). It helps when you wake up in the morning, open the shutters and see the waves crashing against the rocks right in front of you and watch the fishermen bringing in their catch of crabs etc. ready for your incredible meal in the evening! We're not keen on large, chain hotels with that, well, what can I say, 'Footballer's Wives' touch. We prefer low key, hidden away, simple but elegant, tasteful, a little extravagant (expensive toiletries, fabulous food and wine etc.) places to stay, in private, tucked away locations - this was it. Despite the fact that it was raining, I went for a walk along the coastal path right by the hotel, and it was simply breathtaking. We left, after just two days, feeling as if we had experienced the ultimate in relaxation in the most exquisite form. Words to describe the whole experience - stunning, romantic, tranquil spot with excellent attention to detail, First Class in every way.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 21, 2009

A little gem of a hotel, in an incredible location tucked away in a protected harbor. We stayed here our last night in Cornwall, and we wished we had spent all our time here. The area is beautiful, and the hotel, small cozy and intimate. The staff was welcoming, and the room--with an incredible view--was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed, and great linens. The bathroom and shower were great. We had dinner in the restaurant, which excellent. The waiters were pleasant and the food was well prepared from good ingredients. It was a bit slow to come out however, but in Portloe there's no reason to be rushed.
Falling asleep and waking up to the sound of waves crashing on the rocks was wonderful. The breakfast is average, but the continental buffet and juices were much better than the cooked breakfast.
We'll make it a point to come back to Portloe and the Lugger soon, would be great to experience it in the winter time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The Lugger Hotel in Portloe is a total delight. Portloe is a beautiful small village set in a cove and is very well served by this small but exceptional Hotel! I spent 5 days there, walking and touring the area (great walking around, near EDEN and HELIGAN gardens). The rooms are crisp and white with everything you need for a comfortable stay. Those with terraces over the charming village or wth Sea Views are worth paying that bit extra for. The breakfasts, everything from exotic fruits and cakes to all things fresh-cooked to order were great and well worth getting up early to enjoy at a leisurely pace. The exceptional daily Dinner Menu was a real surprise to me - terrific fish and shellfish but much more too and all cleverly married with inventive ingredients. The staff, all of whom you quickly know by first name, also set The Lugger apart from neighboring hotels. Everybody without exception at The Lugger Hotel is attentive and helpful, warm and friendly . Enquiries are instantly attended to, and if you are willing, any amount of local knowledge or tips to enjoying your stay are imparted. There is also a great pub in Portloe 'The Ship Inn' which has a lovely garden and serves great lunches and dinners piled high (so you can explore more outside the hotel) and the Portloe Tea Rooms, right in the middle of the small village, is just charming with the best cornish cream tea, fresh sandwiches and home-baking. In all I genuinely can't wait to go back. PS no cellphone reception in Portloe but free WIFI at The Lugger. Josephine Dublin

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed at The Lugger last weekend and it was everything we'd hoped for our special anniversary weekend without the kids. The location is right on the tiny harbour in Portloe and is spectacular - steep cliffs, crashing waves, crying gulls, sea breeze and the smell of salt. The hotel looks nothing special from the outside, but inside it is warm and intimate, decorated in a cream pallette. Our deluxe room was sparkling clean and comfortable (not huge, although the bed was!), with an outside patio area for lounging around, people watching. Staff were young, friendly and helpful, which contributed to the relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere. We ate dinner there on both nights and found the food delicious on both occasions. It's probably a tadge on the pricey side for B&B, but on a par with other quality hotels in south Cornwall. Would definitely recommend for a romantic weekend away, particularly for those - like us - who hate the whole 'country house hotel' chintz and snobbery scene, but still want to enjoy great food.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Boutique not grand.
I found the staff welcoming and helpful and the dinner very good indeed. To be objective I have had better cooked breakfasts but really that is trivial compared with the overall impression
The bedroom was very comfortable and extremely tastefully decorated as was the rest of the hotel.
The views from the restaurant are wonderful

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and yong baby and found the staff very polite and helpful. The room was very comfortable with a lovely terrace. It was very clean and fresh feeling.
The hotel is tucked away in a small village so a car is a must. I was that I was hoping to use the spa but it was only when we cheked into our room were we informed via a letter that it was closed. I would have preferred to have been told when we booked (2 days earlier) as that was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. The food I thought was expensive for Cornwall. The prices were up there with good-top London restaurants. It was however edible!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PoppyTT
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I had lunch here today with a view to booking a weekend stay later in the month. We'll be staying somewhere else. The three course lunch, whilst not particularly expensive at £17/head, was poor. Bland starters, the main was overcooked duck breast swimming in a not particularly pleasant sauce and very average crème brulées. I mentioned to the disinterested waitress that the duck was overcooked but I suspect this was not passed on to the chef. The bill, when it came, was for three set lunches. There were only two of us and, more to the point, we were the only two people in the restaurant. I can easily imagine what a shambles this place would be on a busy day - if they ever have them. I asked to see the manager and someone in a crumpled shirt turned up saying that he was the assistant manager. He was slightly less disinterested than the waitress but I didn't feel that he really cared much. I can't comment on the accomodation but this very lacklustre experience has put me off shelling out over £200 a night.

Ate here two years ago and it was fantastic - not sure where it all went wrong

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kernowboy
OHIML, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinions on Trip Advisor. I was saddened to hear that your expectations were not met during you recent lunch at the Lugger. We take guests' opinions very seriously and all members of the restaurant have been spoken with to ensure a smoother opertaion.

You will see that other reviews in recent weeks have been outstanding and the level of guest complaints we actually receive are very low. I hope that during your next visit to Cornwall, you will consider a visit to the Lugger.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Idle Rocks
#3 of 3 in Fowey
Driftwood Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trewithian

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!