“will definitely return”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Reviewed October 14, 2008

This was our 3rd return trip to this wonderful hotel, it was with some trepidation as it has recently been bought by a chain . After receiving an e-mail from the hotel advertising special offers we decided to book on the 'seafood sensation' weekend. Both our previous stays had been excellent in every way, so we were interested to see why they were advertising these themed weekends and if they altered the whole ambience of The Lugger. Our room which was in the main building was great, clean, wonderfully comfy bed and bedding, but no Seboni toiletries which was sad. We booked our meal for 8pm and arrived down just before. It was a while before our drink and food orders were taken which before would never have happened as the staff were just behind you as if waiting in the wings. We didnt sit at our table until just before 9 by which time we were starving. The chef didnt disappoint us despite not being Franz!
There only 2 gripes I have regarding our stay. They are: Early morning staff coming on duty please be quiet as I didnt appreciate the early morning call at 6 outside my bedroom window, and, there seems to be a bit of chaos going on with the evening drinks/meal time.
Caroline the new manager was perhaps a bit too chaotic as she seemed to be rushing around but getting nowhere, saying that,she did introduce herself and gave us round of drinks to welcome us back!! Thank you.
Please visit The Lugger as it is wonderful-you have to go there to appreciate it and you will get why so many people return.
Please,please now you are a chain dont lose this.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2008

It's interesting to read other people's reviews after having stayed at the Lugger. Some I agree with, others seem a bit harsh. Firstly, the drive down was magical, pheasants in the road, lots of wooded valleys and tiny coves all added to the expectation. Portloe is picture postcard beautiful - as someone who grew up in Cornwall even I was blown away. The welcome was warm tho no one offered to carry our bags despite my wife being 8 months pregnant. Still, that seems to be the trend in most boutique hotels now. The room (205) was beautiful and relaxing and overlooked the slipway. Gorgeous. I had a pint in the Ship nearby - lovely. Then it slipped a little. We asked the (very young) waiter who took our pre drinks order for a Mohito and he made a valiant effort that didn't much resemble a Mohito. I felt a bit of a sucker paying top whack while he trained on the job. At the meal, I ordered the bouillabase which was really disappointing. It's one of my favourite dishes and this one was fish soup with carrot cauliflower and potato in it. The rest of the meal and breakfast were faultless and it was a brilliantly romantic place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My wife saw Giles Coran's positive review of this hotel in the Daily Telegraph, so I took a look at the feedback on Tripadvisor. Not promising, but as we live locally we went anyway (without booking ahead) for Sunday lunch - just to see for ourselves.

Arriving at 12:15 we were greeted with the news that 16 pre-booked diners were expected very soon, and so it was unlikely that they could accommodate us. But they would check. And then - yes, if all we wanted was a sandwich on the terrace and nothing cooked, that would be fine. So we enjoyed the autumn sunshine and the view from the terrace, and the sandwiches arrived in due course.

On leaving I noticed that the restaurant was totally deserted, and asked what had happened to their lunchtime booking. Apparently all sixteen had arrived, though where they were we could not see (apart from a few others who arrived later and occupied the terrace with us).

My point is this - why should two extra visitors seeking Sunday lunch pose such a problem as this to such an up-market hotel as this? And if they can't deliver Sunday lunch, why should two sandwiches and three drinks cost £27.75?

Answers on a postcard please.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nankersey
OHIML, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2008

We do always recommend booking for Sunday Lunch as our 3 course menu is very popular ~ on this occasion we had a private Christening party in our library of 16 and a number of other tables booked.

I am sorry if this was not explained to you but pleased that you were offered refreshments and able to enjoy the sunshine and gorgeous view from our sun terrace

Reviewed September 5, 2008

We went to the hotel for 2 nights over the weekend and overall our stay was disappointing - especially for the money.

The hotel itself is in an amazing location - really picture postcard material. On booking we were told we had a harbour view and from that I had an impression of looking out over the sea with boats bobbing away etc. What we actually saw was the concrete ramp down to the sea. Technically a harbour view I guess but . .

The main problems with our first room was that it was over the kitchen and that the ceiling was so low we couldn't stand up in the shower. Maybe this is the 'character' of the place. We just thought it was really inconveniant - and for the rates unaccpetable. On complaining we were upgraded to a really nice room with a patio area - so well done to the Lugger for at least resolving this in a positive way. That said, both rooms looked like they needed a coat of paint and some TLC!

Also - we had booked on a B&B rate. One small sausage, I rasher of bacon, maybe one scrambled egg, half a tomato and half a slice of fried bread is really not good enough when the charge is £17 (if you are paying directly). They also seemed a bit upset that we weren't having our evening meals in the restaurant!

We went down to the Tresanton at St Mawes as well just to have a look at the competition. Looked like a much better option to us.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UK-James72
Reviewed August 23, 2008

The location of the Lugger Hotel is magnificent.

However, location alone does not a lovely hotel make. Our rooms were (very) damp, smelt musty and I had real problems sleeping, despite leaving the ground floor window open as wide as possible all night long. The shower dribbled and the bathroom was cold and damp at all times. The bed was comfortable, however, and the room was clean. The décor was dreadfully uninspired - early 1980s John Lewis home style. Why oh why didn't the designer of this hotel decorate in keeping with the 18th century smugglers inn architecture? I think I could have forgiven a bit of damp more easily in a beautiful 18th century room with a lovely open fireplace.

The restaurant was definitely not up to scratch. There is a new chef, Didier Bienaimé, but I am not sure that he devised the menus as he had only been at the hotel for a month and a half when we stayed. In any case, the menus were uninspired and the cooking second rate. Worst of all, the service was unbelievably slow, despite the menu being short. I suspect the real problem is that the kitchen is just too small for the overly elaborate type of cooking that the menu requires. Why couldn't this be a Cornish gastro-pub? It would be so much more appropriate and easier to cater.

Breakfast was awful - by 9.15 the "continental" option was only toast and cereal, as the brioches, croissants and fruit had all been eaten. And there was no proper expresso coffee, just cafetière coffee served in expresso cups. Bad, bad, bad.

This could be a gorgeous, romantic, boutique hotel. It isn't. However, it charges the prices of a boutique hotel. So we left very dissatisfied (and exhausted, with indigestion).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank English_girl_Paris

Thank you for your feedback which is always helpful. The Lugger is a 17th Century Inn set actually on the slipway and due to the unusual high tide and rainfall during August we did experience a few damp problems in one section of the hotel. I am pleased that we were able to offer alternative accommodation in most cases that we were aware of. I will be looking into the other issues that you have raised and would like to assure you that they will be dealt with very seriously.

Reviewed August 17, 2008

Room/bathroom small but very nice. Staff/service good if a little chaotic at times. Food was excellent. Setting- beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank benannaspanner
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Any review of this hotel is pointless without taking its unique location into account. My wife and I walked from the Lugger to Place (opposite St Mawes, from where one can take a ferry into St Mawes). It was 13 miles on a sunny day along one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline ... in the world. Starting at 10.00am on a Sunday morning we met nobody for the first two hours. And all this starts at the doorstep of the Lugger. The South Cornwall Coast Path is superb.
I also disagree with some of the negative comments about the Lugger's restaurant posted here. I can't understand the comment about quantity offered over quality -- I thought it was light and well-prepared. The wine list was fine. What annoyed me was a £5 supplement for cheese rather than a dessert. Why?
The Lugger is far too expensive, especially because of the indifferent quality of the rooms. And the walls are thin -- I could hear someone reading out crossword clues next door!
On balance, I would recommend a night there to anyone who wants to be in the perfect starting place for a memorable walk. Just don't bother with one of the more expensive rooms and consider the option of walking on to another hotel. This should be especially relevant advice to those who prefer getting there by train rather than car. St Austell is the nearest station with direct trains to London (and Penzance!).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FotallyTocused
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Idle Rocks
#3 of 3 in Fowey
Driftwood Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trewithian

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!