“Little Gem!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
cornwall
“Little Gem!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Another lovely stay at this fabulous gem. Tucked away on the Roseland it is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.Dinner was delicious. Breakfast outstanding. Room clean and very comfortable. I cannot fault anything about The Lugger. Welcoming helpful staff make it a home from home. Thanks to Russell and Richard and all the staff for a perfect stay

Room Tip: Rooms with their own terrace are quite special
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank josephincornwall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Relaxing, unpretentious hotel and staff. How a boutique hotel should be. Already looking forward to a return visit.
Superb location to idle away the hours - be it afternoon tea/coffee or something a little more lubricating.
Minor niggle - i love my coffee and nothing beats a proper morning coffee in your room. Sachets just don't work - so many capsule machines out there.
Apart from that, rooms are big, towels fluffy, toiletries wonderful and the biscuits are homemade.

2 Thank 247uktraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend away at The Lugger, we had a great time and would definitely recommend it.

I had read some of the reviews about the service and did not find the this a problem at all. The staff are very attentive especially Russell, who was constantly running around!

We ate in the restaurant on one of the evenings the food was excellent especially the fish. The cakes and biscuits left in the rooms were also fantastic and a really nice touch.

Portloe is a beautiful village, we found the views stunning when we walked along the coastal path. Also the fact that there are no shops or phone signal makes it even more relaxing.

We will def be returning!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Msquires
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the first time I have been to Cornwall, my partner comes here quite often on business. When I first arrived I was blown away as to how beautiful and quirky the hotel is. You are in a very remote place, with a cove to yourself!! The hotel itself is small, but I think if it was bigger it would take away the cosiness of it all! We stayed in the out building to the left of the hotel, our view was amazing. With the balcony door open we were about 200yards from the water. This is a location where you want to come and relax and spend time with your loved one or family. We only stayed the one night, but would have loved to stay another! There is a terrace where you can sit and enjoy a glass of your favourite vino and taken in the view.

We had reserved a table for dinner, this is advisable as the hotel was full! We sat in the lounge area and had a glass of wine. Our order was taken for our drinks and food. We were not rushed, and were called to go to our table and await our food. We were offered fresh different bread rolls which were out of this world. The atmosphere in the dinning area was friendly, I believe that there were a lot of people staying just more than one night and they got to know each other. The starters came, and I was blown away as to how beautifully it was presented! I ordered the squid, which was divine! My partner is very fussy with his food and he had the cod balls, he too was very impressed. It was lovely to sit and watch the sun go down and hear the water lapping up against the beach! Our main meal came, I ordered the sole, I was a bit nervous as I'm not a big fan of this fish. I was wrong, it was lovely and cooked to perfection! My partner had the fillet and was cooked as to how he likes it! The most important part of the evening was in my books the dessert! I had the panna cotta, this was smooth and I didn't want it to end! My fussy partner just wanted ice cream and strawberries and that is what they brought him! Its very pleasing to know that they cater for people like him as he wouldn't of enjoyed the food at all. The evening was completed with a coffee and homemade truffles yummy!

We then retired to our room with a nice surprise! Hot chocolate with marshmallows and a good written joke for a laugh! There was nothing better than going to sleep with the door open and hearing the water. We awoke to the seagulls and the sun shining through the shutters.

The breakfast was of a good selection, you can taste that everything is fresh and local!

What a perfect trip! I can't wait for our next one, which I believe will be in the winter where I can enjoy the fire and sipping a glass of vino!

This hotel is worth every penny, I am upset to hear the bad reviews that some people have put. People should do some research and realise that yes certain things in life are expensive but you only live once and live life to the fullest!

Room Tip: The outbuilding to the left of the Hotel, has a few rooms.
1 Thank sarahshiels
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I had to spend a couple of days in Cornwall on business and had heard about this hotel through a friend who raved about it.My husband and I decided to splash out on 2 nights in a sea view room and weren't disappointed .Portloe is just unique ,you arrive and instantly relax.Our room was perfect and was more on the beach rather than having a sea view . I feel asleep each night listening to the waves and looking at the stars.The room had lovely touches like robes and homemade biscuits and we arrived back after dinner to find hot chocolate in our room.
The food is fantastic and the restaurant also overlooks the beach.I would recommend the fish which is all locally sourced and delicious. It is not a cheap experience but worth the outlay and you can get some good deals .I have just booked to return on a very good deal .I think everyone should experience this hotel at least once.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 1laurdouglas
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a few days at this little gem of a hotel. Everything about the Lugger is excellent with the quality of everything, the location, the food the attention to detail and the wonderful staff it is an idyllic place to have a real break especially as there is no phone signal! We rarely return to a hotel again but this is somewhere we will definitely return to. Thank you to all the Lugger staff.

3 Thank AlanBeazley
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have known this area of Cornwall since the 1990s but only stayed at the Lugger for the first time last week. I had very high expectations, which perhaps accounts for the 'sort of'. It is a beautiful hotel right on the water's edge in a lovely small fishing village. The sea view from the room was wonderful - great to hear the waves, see the moon rising over the sea at night and people/fishermen watch (take ear plugs if you don't want to watch them in the early morning too). The bar and restaurant also has very pretty views over the water. There were nice touches when the rooms were made up with information about the next day's weather and cakes brought to the room etc. It is a wonderful place to go if you like nature, and you want to switch off and relax.

However, a couple of qualms. We were in the boat house, not the main hotel. The bathroom was small and a bit shabby, there was paint peeling off the walls and a couple of light bulbs not working. (The lights were fixed the next day after we told reception, but I thought this could have been checked on change over). Also, I wasn't very happy about not having filter coffee in the room. Yes, I am a bit of a coffee snob, sorry, but at the price we were paying a night I expected real coffee! When I complained about it the member of staff seemed incredulous that I would want such a thing and then when I asked if he could try to do something about it he with a pained expression said he would. When I asked again the next day, the manager said yes, he had got the message. Full stop. I did get the coffee in the end (thank you) but I was made to feel like a nuisance for letting them know and asking for these things, and I suppose to them I probably was. Being a 'bespoke' hotel though - I felt the service could have been better.

Room Tip: Sea view will help you ignore the less desirable bits!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kir_kag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
Driftwood Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow
The Old Quay House Hotel
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!