“What a find this hotel is top quality and one of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“What a find this hotel is top quality and one of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I had to spend a couple of days in Cornwall on business and had heard about this hotel through a friend who raved about it.My husband and I decided to splash out on 2 nights in a sea view room and weren't disappointed .Portloe is just unique ,you arrive and instantly relax.Our room was perfect and was more on the beach rather than having a sea view . I feel asleep each night listening to the waves and looking at the stars.The room had lovely touches like robes and homemade biscuits and we arrived back after dinner to find hot chocolate in our room.
The food is fantastic and the restaurant also overlooks the beach.I would recommend the fish which is all locally sourced and delicious. It is not a cheap experience but worth the outlay and you can get some good deals .I have just booked to return on a very good deal .I think everyone should experience this hotel at least once.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 1laurdouglas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Thai first
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a few days at this little gem of a hotel. Everything about the Lugger is excellent with the quality of everything, the location, the food the attention to detail and the wonderful staff it is an idyllic place to have a real break especially as there is no phone signal! We rarely return to a hotel again but this is somewhere we will definitely return to. Thank you to all the Lugger staff.

3 Thank AlanBeazley
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have known this area of Cornwall since the 1990s but only stayed at the Lugger for the first time last week. I had very high expectations, which perhaps accounts for the 'sort of'. It is a beautiful hotel right on the water's edge in a lovely small fishing village. The sea view from the room was wonderful - great to hear the waves, see the moon rising over the sea at night and people/fishermen watch (take ear plugs if you don't want to watch them in the early morning too). The bar and restaurant also has very pretty views over the water. There were nice touches when the rooms were made up with information about the next day's weather and cakes brought to the room etc. It is a wonderful place to go if you like nature, and you want to switch off and relax.

However, a couple of qualms. We were in the boat house, not the main hotel. The bathroom was small and a bit shabby, there was paint peeling off the walls and a couple of light bulbs not working. (The lights were fixed the next day after we told reception, but I thought this could have been checked on change over). Also, I wasn't very happy about not having filter coffee in the room. Yes, I am a bit of a coffee snob, sorry, but at the price we were paying a night I expected real coffee! When I complained about it the member of staff seemed incredulous that I would want such a thing and then when I asked if he could try to do something about it he with a pained expression said he would. When I asked again the next day, the manager said yes, he had got the message. Full stop. I did get the coffee in the end (thank you) but I was made to feel like a nuisance for letting them know and asking for these things, and I suppose to them I probably was. Being a 'bespoke' hotel though - I felt the service could have been better.

Room Tip: Sea view will help you ignore the less desirable bits!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kir_kag
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with exceptionally friendly staff, great food and a relaxed atmosphere,

Being in a secluded location on the Cornish coast, the menu is predominantly fish based and of excellent quality. The breakfast menu includes cerals, fresh fruit salads, cold meats, cooked "Cornish Breakfast" (Bacon, Sausage, Eggs, Tomato etc, all locally sourced), fruit juices, hot coffee/tea and toast/marmalade. The restaurant windows look out over the cove and if fine weather there is a terrace area where you can eat your meals.

As with many parts of the South West, there is no mobile phone signal but there is free wi-fi in the reception and cosy lounge area. Very helpful and friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms with excellent bath and shower.

Highly recommended.

2 Thank Trippy2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had a lovely two night's stay here for the bank holiday. At all times I was served by friendly staff, who seemed to work hard and were good and efficient. I used the Lugger as a base for a very touristy time in Cornwall. At the end of a hard day's photographing and driving, it was great to return to this cute hotel in such a secluded location.

My room was a good size, with a big bed, decent bathroom but sadly without a view. The price was, I suspect, high because of the bank holiday weekend but not astronomical. There's no mobile reception in the village but there is wifi in the lounge. I wonder if it might be extended to the outbuildings at some point?

Travelling on my own, I ate here on both nights, attracted by the interesting menu. There were a lot of appetising dishes to choose from and those that I went for were presented in a beautiful fashion. Presentation may have taken the lead rather than flavour, as there were a few tricks missed - on Saturday, the pastry on my tartlet was undercooked, my lamb was overcooked (or had sat too long whilst being plated) and, on Sunday, my tart [sic] tatin had not been caramelised properly. Nothing too dire, but things to note, cetainly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JohnRPearson
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Taken by surprise and whisked off to the Lugger Hotel for a weekend, I really had no expectations. But having stayed in many hotels per year for work and pleasure, I am a little analytical to say the least! This is a lovely little place in a tiny hamlet right on the sea. Great service, big clean comfortable rooms and absolutely delicious food. Cream tea on arrival, 3 course supper, the quality of which was way beyond that I would expect of such a little place and good wine list. It is a fantastic bolthole for those looking to explore cornwall, a romantic weekend away or simply needing some time out. The only downsides would be that there is no mobile signal (although this applies to most of Cornwall, and the wifi was very good by compensation) and it was very relaxing and quiet, I would recommend for chillout stays, not for children.The espresso martinis were great!!!

5 Thank annymouse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Best hotel we've ever been. Relaxed atmosphere, relaxed staff, fab food, unsurpassed views, really comfy beds & lovely touches make this the loveliest hotel; a real treat to stay here. Please try it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Boffies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
Driftwood Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!