“not what i expected”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The hotel rooms are very nice & clean if somewhat small,
The lounge area needs updating to keep in contrast wih the resteraunt ,which the whole hotel revolves around due to its outstanding views, it certainly isn't for the food,which was very pricey & not up to scratch. If your going to charge london prices in the middle of nowhere you've got to be good, in my oppinion it was'nt. There is no atmosphere in the hotel or resteraunt whatsoever, it was like eating in a library
The good point is there is a great pub 200 yds away "THE SHIP"
which does do very good food at a fraction of the cost & is full of lovelly people with a great atmosphere

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank allytk
There are newer reviews for The Lugger Hotel

Reviewed January 18, 2008

Stayed here late last year with my wife for a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cannot agree with previous post other that the rooms are great! Enjoyed the food immensely (it has a rosette too) and found all staff to incredibly friendly and helpful in their atittude.

Apparently the hotel is now owed by some big corporate chain, what a pity, how can this cool little boutique hotel fit in with that?!!

Lets hope things remain as they are, if they do we would most definately return.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EnglandWanderlust
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I would have to agree with the majority of the reviews on this page.
We went to the Lugger Hotel for our honeymoon night! We found our room to be very comfortable, and have absolutley no complaints there.
Our evening meal was so so so disappointing. To be fair, my starter was fantastic, local seafood, and delicious!
However, my husband and our friends starters were greasy, and tasteless.
The main meals were the worst! We all agreed we were paying far too much money for the lower than average quality!
I think we were paying over 40 pounds a head for quality, which is lower than you would have expected for a five pound meal at Wetherspoons!!! The menu is typically sprused up to sound as exotic as say the Ivy, when you are basically getting a simple roast dinner (which was nasty) and greasy steak covered in not so nice peppercorn sauce!!!
The food was just awful!!!!
However, the saving grace was the location, and the rooms! Breakfast was nice (amazingly) and the views over the lugger was beautiful!!
Oh, and before I finish, excluding the bar man, we all found the staff to all be WAY above their stations, very pompous, and arrogant!
So, basically, VERY disappointing!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank andzHoggarth
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Situated in a tiny hamlet nestling in cove on the shore used by the local fisherman, the Lugger has an authentically salty location.
Our room was quite spacious with french windows onto a terrace outside beside the lane to the slipway but: Cables dangled from the wall to the television, the wardrobe had the sunbed mattress, a chest of drawers and the kettle and tea making facilites in it leaving no room for hanging clothes. Many of the areas of the hotel that we used were tired, the carpets were worn, the bath surround rubbed back to the wood and in the two rooms that we booked there was a liberal splattering of blackened grout in the bathrooms. The steps outside our building were cracked and a plant that had probably been delightful in the summer now whipped it's dead wet leaves against you when you left the building to cross the carpark to the restaurant. The hotel does provide wellies for guests to use if required. The extractor fan in our bathroom didn't work not was it fixed when reported, the condensation was copious and the drain in the sink smelt stagnant.
On our first evening in the bar there was no fresh orange juice, we were offered Britvic instead. No one offered me coffee or toast when I arrived for breakfast on my second morning. The food is quite good, my creme caramel and panna cotta were both lovely. Tea for two in the afternoon came in a small pot with no additional hot water. No one bothered to light the fire in the sitting room on our first evening - it was windy and wet outside so a welcoming fire would have been lovely.
Some members of staff are friendly and charming, others are less so.
There is no internet access in the room and no chance of a mobile signal, the hotel charges £1 per minute for calls to a mobile on the hotel phone.
All of this would not be bad if the hotel's charges reflected it's status, We were charged £270 per room per night inclusive of breakfast and dinner which if everything was as it should be would be fine - sadly it was a long way to go to be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank jugsholme
Reviewed November 13, 2007

We stayed here for two nights and left feeling relaxed but disappointed. Top rates were not matched by the service, decor or quality of food. This place is saved by its location. The main gripe is the WAY overpriced menu, for food I could have cooked myself. It promised a lot but was poorly executed, ruining the expensive ingredients of fresh fish (overcooked) with rustic, crass roast veg and dull boiled potatoes. The steak was cooked ok but accompanied by a variety of grilled items - not a complete dish but an ensemble of 'the usual things that come with steak'. No where was the price of the set menu given, but at £37.50 I expect VERY good food, very good cooking.

The room was ok had it not been for the noisy plumbing from above and the tired bathroom paintwork. Promised sea view non existent.

The spa was being 'rebuilt' but we had a massage which was good but very expensive - London prices of £55 per hour. We weren't informed of cash or cheque only payment to therapist which left everyone feeling very awkward and uncomfortable.

I would normally have aired my views but the lack of interest from the staff left me waiting for them to invite my comments... no luck, so here they are. Perhaps they will read. I doubt it, they don't really care. Apparently the hotel has changed hands several times (including liquidated Swallow Hotels) leaving a disjointed outfit now to be sold again. I wouldn't return which is a shame after the recommendations I'd had previously.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SianB
Reviewed November 7, 2007

This is without doubt a hotel with some character in a gorgeous setting, however it is fatally flawed by overcharging and the food is just reasonably adequate. To be fair breakfast is not bad - a reasonable choice of freshly cooked food, and fruit, cereal etc. but remember to ask for your eggs well done if you want the white to be less than soggy!
Dinners were very high in butter content with few fresh vegetables, my wife had to ask for extra veg to keep up her daily supply.
For the price and hype ( sea view - if you lean out of the balcony) we went expecting a delight, what we found was just ordinary, and in the context very disappointing.
For £260 per night (more if not a 3 night stay) you expect to be wowed and we were not.
All the touches should be there for that but for example, cotton wool balls - we had to ask to be replenished, there was real coffee in the room, but it was very basic catering blend, again it should have been exquisite.
Overall a disapointment, and not to be recommended

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rayw
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I'd read the reviews in the Mr and Mrs Smith guide and so on and had really high expectations. I took my boyfriend for his 30th birthday.

You wind your way through narrow lanes and it really does seem like you've reached the edge of the world when you get there. Portloe is a lovely little place tucked away in a natural harbour in Cornwall. The Lugger is an old smugglers' inn and I was hoping for something out of Daphne du Maurier.

Perhaps this is just my own personal pet hate but I was really disappointed to find it had plastic windows everywhere. The rest of the decor is fairly chic and this really let the place down. Still, I loved looking out of our window to watch the fishermen bring in the crabs and lobsters. And falling asleep to the sound of lapping waves is marvellous.

The hotel clearly thinks its food is better than it is. The menu is typical of posh hotels but the actual food bordered on bland. The puddings were unremarkable. My pavlova was hard and chewy at the same time. The cheese board has gimmick cheeses like Stinking Bishop, which suggested to me that it had been picked by someone who didn't know anything about cheese. And it was a whopping extra £5.50 per person for cheese (that's instead of pudding)!!!

Breakfast was better than dinner but they don't have home-made marmalade and the orange juice isn't freshly squeezed.

The hotel has a pretty narrow window for dining (7 till 9pm). We, along with everyone else in the hotel, wanted to watch the rugby at 8pm but they weren't showing it in the hotel and we had to drive 2 miles away to somewhere that was. Which meant wolfing our food down. I thought the hotel could have been a bit more prepared for that as all the couples were doing the same thing.

Talking of which, it is full of couples, straight out of the Mr and Mrs Smith book. I think it would have been distinctly odd to have been there on my own or with my mother.

I'm giving it above average because it is a really nice place. Don't bother with the dinner, bed and breakfast thing and make sure you ask for a sea view. Is it worth the money? Well, only you can decide that. There are much cheaper places to stay nearby but they won't be as nice. The sad thing is that the Lugger could be a lot better than it is.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Catharine0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Fowey Hotel
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Llawnroc Hotel
The Llawnroc Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gorran Haven

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!