“Total Chill Out with superb food”

and 1 more site!
The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wrea Green
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Total Chill Out with superb food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just had an overnight stay at the Spa hotel coupled with a 'Thermal Journey' in the spa and an evening meal and breakfast in the spa restaurant.
Room was first class, very modern, very clean, very quiet, totally linked up for ipods etc, HDMI ports for lap tops etc if required. Beautiful bathroom with bath and separate shower, nice large comfy bed but rubbish pillows !
The pinacle of the stay here though was the restaurant, flavours and presentation were first class - the first time I have ever eaten petals! All staff are immaculatey dressed, very polite, very professional, no surly attitudes on show here, and if you want to know anything about the food before you order just ask the waiter and he will tell you how it comes and how its cooked etc etc.
Breakfast was again very high standard, lovely fresh food that looked like it had just been prepared and if you want hot food, you dont select what you want from a tureen full of food on warmers, each plate is freshly cooked for you, Full English, Eggs Benedict etc.
Lovely stay, and we will be back later in the year

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had really high expectations of this hotel from the reviews there were some really good points but some lacking in attention to detail - booked the weekend as a treat for my step daughter for her 21st Birthday, oblivious it was mothers day weekend.

It took nearly 15 minutes for us to be attended to at the downstairs spa reception, we were then taken to main reception, we had a lunch booking at 12 noon but only got to our table around 1220hrs. service was great we both had pulled pork ciabata on special, my ciabata was burnt and tooth breaking - it was sent back and replaced no problem.

We had an express facial although I wanted an elemis tri enzyme but at time of booking 6 weeks prior the beauty salon was nearly fully booked ( odd as a few weeks before mothers day they popped a special offer on including this facial )

We then booked into our room it was lovely absolutely no complaints -

The aqua thermal journey was nice a bit busy so not able to do the whole journey in the order stated, now here is where I have an issue, each steam room/ sauna suggests a maximum time limit other reviewers have complained about people spending longer in each than recommended, but here's the issue theres only one clock on the main spa wall and in each steam/sauna room two have egg timers there is no clock /timer in any of the others- so how do you know if you have spent your 10/20 mins in each station - I also consider this a health and safety issue

We both had a pedicure now my step daughter is a beauty therapist and was quite horrified at some of the practices - and if you read down the reviews another lady found this an issue. we had a pedicure together and had a constant stream of peope coming in and out both staff and clients to get polishes and products. the polishes were situated in between us and one lady was really embarrased stretching over us to look and pick her polish, plus a therpaist came in with plastic cups and scooped products into them with her bare hands mind you the rest of the therapists doing our pedicure did the same, no scoops or anything. Sophies manicure was atrocious - I did not make a fuss at the time and neither did she but she felt it was so poor it was a dissapointment one toe was half painted and her nails had been filed to a slight point, very odd , the polish was gunky and a new bottle was not sought out or another option offered not one nail was painted neatly, next morning I asked they be redone and this was done and the therapist that did them agreed it was poor job, mine were avearge, but even after an hour plus they still smudged, so back to my normal therapist in Bolton for a re do and a perfect result.

we spent and hour or so in the champagne bar really hotel reception had a few cocktails but we thought it was happy hour, but thats only 4 till 6 in the restaurant and as we were in robes and slippers we wre not going out side and to another building, a bit unfair really happy hour should be across the complex.

The evening meal was taken in The Restaurant - I had told them in advance it was Sophie's 21st and they said they would put some sparklers in her dessert or something similar - we got nothing yet other tables had age balloons on them, the food in the retaurant was excellent but there was a party in an adjoining room and we and several other diners complained you coudnt hear the music in our area and it was overlaid with a loud bass and what we thought was appaling karaoke but was in fact a pro singer, we moved tables but no better. the Maitre D was very apologetic - we had transport to and from the hotel to the restaurant the driver was excellent.

My massage the next day and Sophie's was very good as was the breakfast the eggs benedict out of this world

I wont be rushing back it was average apart from the food which was excellent - in a nutshelll they dont get reguar clients in the beauty spa so wheres the motivation to produce outstanding results - well I always tip on a job well done - my purse remained shut apart from my massage therapist.

Room Tip: book treatments well in advance
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sjg44
RibbyHallVillage, Public Relations Manager at The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your review and for bringing these issues to our attention. I was so pleased you enjoyed your food but disappointed to learn that you were less pleased with other areas. Being Mothering Sunday weekend we were extremely busy but that doesn’t mean you should receive anything less than the excellent service we strive for and which other guests constantly comment on. Our Guest Services Manager will be responding to your personal e mail on these individual issues.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a Saturday night package which included dinner, bed, breakfast and use of the spa.
We also had a luxury room.
You drive through a holiday park to get to the spa which is a bit strange.
The reception was quiet yet it took staff at least 15 minutes to serve us.
The room was nice but not impressive and seemed quite warn (chipped furniture, lights not working, previous guests feedback card left).
The spa is nice but it was very busy and not kept particularly clean.
We ate at 9am (as we couldn't get a table before) and by then 2 of the main courses were off the menu.
Service was slow although the food was nice (small portions).
Breakfast was a nightmare, we had to ask for everything 3 time, the cooked breakfast came with things missing, staff were off hand and the continental breakfast bar was a right mess with barely anything left (it was 9:30am and breakfast finishes at 10:30am).

In all we were really disappointed. Perhaps this is because the night away was not cheap and when you pay that amount you expect it to be very special. It really wasn't. The website is lovely but it really isn't an accurate portrayal of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kate B
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at the spa hotel for my fiancé's birthday for two nights on 6th and 7th March.
Our initial impressions of the drive up to the hotel were not good (through a butlins type village). It would have been better if there had been a seperate entrance for the spa hotel.
The hotel itself was lovely and our room was very comfortable. One problem we did have with the room was that it was situated at the front of the hotel on the ground floor and we both had very little sleep due to the noisy pond ducks. We tried to make light of this matter on the first night and told the reception staff but nothing was done about it.
We found the hotel quite restrictive as there was no swimming pool and unless you go in for the aqua thermal journey for which you must book a time slot there was not really much else to do.
As I am pregnant I didn't go through the aqua thermal journey but my boyfriend enjoyed it and I was able to sit and use the foot spas!
The overall impression inside the spa did not feel calm and I didn't expect there to be as many people in there at one time.
My experience of a pedicure was slightly disappointing too as other spas I have been where this is done in a private treatment room. Don't expect for a manicure or pedicure that this will happen. I felt very uncomfortable with other people around me and the cleanliness of this particular area was not too good either.
The day we left I had a fake bake tan done and I could not fault this at all.
In the relaxation area of the spa there was lots of cups and tissues that had been left and not cleaned up and it was very busy!
We had breakfast at the hotel and we wer both very impressed with this. The continental breakfast was one of the best I have seen and the cooked breakfast was really lovely (although the quality of the sausage was not as high standard as you would expect.)
We did however find that the food choice was very restricted and the times to which you could order food. We tried to order room service at 5.30pm and were told that it didn't start until 9pm although online it does say that it is 24hours. They did make us a pizza but they also made out that they were doing us a big favour.
Unfortunately I would not recommend Ribby Hall Spa Hotel as I would say it did not have the relaxing setting we were both hoping for.
I am not really a fussy person but I do agree with all of the bad reviews on this hotel.
At least I will be able to get some sleep now without the noisy ducks!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ClaireWJ5
Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you ever get a chance a visit to the spa is highly recommended, very clean lovely spa area staff lovely and helpful changing room has all you need hair dyers, straighteners. Massage was very good. I cant praise the place enough.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JBridge2
Lancashire
Reviewed March 5, 2013

One nite of oasis and calm. Gorgeous bedroom with elemis toiletries. The staff are wonderful and attentive. The food is fabulous. The Spa is soooooo relaxing and the range of treatments is amazing. Take me back..........Please!

Room Tip: All rooms are fab
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank CathyandCrew
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel on the 1st March for my husbands Birthday treat... with another couple. The Hotel is beautiful... stylish and modern and well maintained. The staff are welcoming, courteous and more than helpful! From the Spa receptionist who fitted me in at the last minute... to the lovely beauticians who work so hard and are very polite to the cheerful chappies working in the bar in the evening who offered to take our photo's... and carry our drinks into the Spa for our manicure. Nothing was too much trouble and they all made us feel special. The bedrooms are beautiful.. clean and modern. Tea and coffee making facilities and a little fridge with a small bottle of milk and a couple of bottles of water! In the bathroom there is a rain shower with Elemis produces... and a couple of fluffy dressing gowns to wear in the Spa... for your thermal journey... which is a number of relaxing rooms of sauna or steam to totally help you cpmpletely relax! Every thing possible to make your stay even better. You can pay extra for treatments in the Spa which are delivered in lovely surroundings. Then its back to your room to get ready for your evening meal a car is provided if you wish to go to the restaurant or you can eat in the brasserie if you prefer. Both providing a high standard of food and service. The Breakfast is great too with either a full English or plenty of other options to have instead or as well! All in all a luxury stay in a beautiful Hotel at a value for money price!!!It cost my husband and I £198 for dinner, bed, breakfast and 2 hour thermal journey. I would highly recommend this for a special treat! And I will be visiting again before the end of the year, our friends have surggested we do it as a quarterly event...sounds good to me!

Room Tip: The luxury double room... was beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
#8 of 17 in Lytham St Anne's
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village? Share your experiences!