“Superb Spa break”

The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wrea Green
“Superb Spa break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Booked a one night Spa break and had a superb time, staff were excellent and hotel and spa facilities were faultless. I would highly recommend you to pay it a visit. My wife's only disappointment was the lack of vegetarian options on the breakfast and evening meal. No option on the breakfast card for 'Breakfast in bed' but when asked the receptionist was more than helpful to arrange something for us. Have to say though the veggie sausages were poor. For our evening meal my wife only had one starter option and one main meal option, both goats cheese. In saying this I am sure if we had asked they would have sorted something out. Minor moan :) We are already planning a second visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Me and my sister booked the spa and hotel as a treat for our mums 60th birthday. Throughout our stay the hotel and spa was immaculate. It felt special and we were made to feel extremely welcome. I felt that every staff member we met couldn't do enough for us. From check in to the spa to the evening meal and breakfast. The facilities at the spa were amazing and made us feel like royalty. I'd definatley recommend booking extra treatments. The staff in The Restaurant were also excellent and offered a great selection of cocktails.
Experiencing the high quality of facilities and customer service on offer I would say its certainly value for money.
I will definatley be returning to Ribby Hall Spa Hotel and would highly recommend to others. Sheer heaven...

• Stayed June 2012
lytham uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Lucky me - I was treated to an overnight Friday Spa Break at Ribby Hall for my birthday. I spent the day in the Spa then my fiance joined me later. We only live locally so I was intrigued to experience the new Spa that everyone's been talking about.

The Spa.....
It was one of the hottest days of the year (26+ degrees) so I spent most of it lying on the outside terrace on the superbly comfortable high-spec wicker sun loungers. The fact you can order drinks in this area was also most welcome in the heat - I felt like I was on holiday abroad! The outside Jacuzzi was excellent - it would have been nice if the water heating could have been turned down on such a hot day, as it was a bit too hot to stay in for very long. But hey, you can't please everyone and how many hot days like that do we really get?!
I didn't try many of the other elements of the Spa experience due to the heat (and the fact I was quite happy sunning outside) but it looked amazing. It's not just your usual saunas and steam rooms - amongst others there's aromatherapy steam rooms, ice baths, foot spas, a monsoon shower and a lovely area with heated beds to relax on - which would have been perfect on a typically cold British day! We will definitely be back to experience just the Spa alone another time.

I had a facial treatment which was superb. Ask for Lauren if, like me, you're not a fan of sitting in silence having treatments. We chatted along throughout, which put me at ease. All of the Spa staff were very friendly and helpful.

The Room......
By lunchtime our room was ready to check in. The girl on reception was really helpful - she spotted that I'm not a fan of lifts so even offered to accompany me to show me to the room. The room was excellently fitted out - you could not fault the fixtures and fittings. Wonderful bathroom with fantastic shower and separate bath, with high quality complementary products. In the room (among other things) there's a TV, music centre, plentiful tea and coffee facilities, mini-fridge and a walk-in wardrobe! All was spotless too.
My fiance had ordered a bottle of fizzy wine and chocolates to the room, which were beautifully presented. Our Ice bucket was happily replenished when we requested too, by the helpful reception staff.

Sleep Quality......
The bed was superbly comfortable - excellent bedlinen and the offer of other types of pillows, even lavender scented if you so required!
I'm afraid I only have two criticisms of the room - which sadly both affected sleep quality. My pet hate is air conditioning and I immediately went to switch off the two units in the room, both of which faced the bed. One unit went off, the other refused. Even after several calls down to reception, the 2nd unit just wouldn't turn off. The helpful staff even showed me on the master-board how it should now be off, but was not. They did their best to sort it out. As they weren't able I chose to try and ignore it, rather than let an air-con unit spoil our stay - but I had to resign that I wouldn't get much sleep with the draught and hum of the unit.
My other criticism is that our room faced out over the top of the roof at the back of the Spa. The noise of the air conditioning vents and pool filters below was noticeable, particularly with the windows open. I suspect the room's position was probably reflected in the price, so I can't complain too much. However - I'd request a room with a different aspect if I stayed there again, even if it cost a little more.

Restaurant & Dining.......
We ate in the restaurant at Lunch, Dinner and the following day's Breakfast.
I dined alone at Lunch, which I am not used to and the staff, particularly the manager, made me feel very welcome. The spa had made me hungry so I ordered the gnocci, which I usually love. Sadly I was disappointed - the gnocci were unusually deep fried, tasty but salty and the portion was minuscule. My dish was one of the least expensive on the menu and still cost over £7 - the glass of wine cost the same.
At Dinner we asked to sit outside, since it was so glorious. The staff's response was that it was an unusual request, but no problem. I'm afraid I didn't actually like the restaurant itself - it feels like it's been squeezed in - there's a much larger area going mainly unused as an adjoining bar area - perhaps that would be better used instead Ribby Hall?.

The food at dinner was excellent - very much a tasting sort of menu (the manager informed us that the chef had trained at Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck restaurant). Our waitress was really natural & friendly. Dessert wasn't included and was really pushed by the manager - but we just stood our ground and declined it.

Breakfast in the restaurant the following morning was good, although the service was lacking. We were seated, given menu cards and, having been asked, ordered pots of tea. The same manager was around again (a hard working man!) but seemed to be concentrating on other, larger tables who looked to be staying the weekend. We helped ourselves to the continental buffet - including shots of intense fruit juices, mini pastries, amazing looking muffins, cheeses and hams (fresh and cured), fruit, yoghurts and cereals. Lots of choice, yes.....but replenishment was a real issue - some of the choices ran out (we fought over the last piece of ham), no orange juice, glasses or small plates. Other service issues were that we had to call over a waitress to ask if we could order our hot breakfast, had to prompt to request toast and also had to remind them about our pot of tea.
However - we firmly believe that these are probably teething issues, as the hotel has only been open since April. Since the evening waiting staff were excellent, we would suggest a review of breakfast service. Perhaps it would be best to reduce the amount of choices offered until staff are able to cope excellently with these.
On the bright side when our cooked breakfast arrived it was delicious. One tip - look at the pots of 'jam' on the table if you want sauces - we only noticed afterwards!

Overall we loved our stay here. The issues we encountered were quite minor really and far outweighed by the superbly luxurious finish of the hotel and incredibly friendly and helpful staff in the Spa and on reception. We think that the Spa break is good value for money too for what we experienced. Even if you allow for the expensive lunch (which is unavoidable as you're in a captive market at that point) when you consider the cost of the spa day for two, dinner and the overnight hotel stay it's well worth what you pay.

We'll be back - we might treat ourselves to a Spa day over the summer too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel - some have balconies too.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kendal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Initial impressions of the hotel are faultless. Beautiful grounds and reception of hotel. Excellent check in. Room was perfect. Beautifully decorated and fabulously appointed. Two fluffy dressing gowns, slippers and gorgeous Elemis products in the room.
As it is a Spa hotel there were lots of groups of ladies on hen parties wandering in dressing gowns. This made my husband slighlty uncomfortable as he seemed to be the only man in the whole hotel.
We had a superb night, we ate out in the Brasserie in the Ribby Hall complex and had a brilliant dinner, perfect with the entertainment as our party who were staying in the villa's had two little ones who were mesmerised by the acts.
However, the next morning, I was extremely disappointed. Gone was the faultless service that we had experienced from the professionals on the front desk and in their replacement were miserable teenagers who had little care or the correct attitude to be working in such a hotel. Arriving for breakfast as a group of three we were asked if we wanted to sit together. This caused massive problems to the girl who we spoke to and we were made to feel that we were causing a problem for them. Another group of three also arrived and were made to feel the same way. We were asked to wait. After half an hour of being ignored my husband complained to deaf ears even though we had witnessed over twenty people leaving the breakfast room. We were eventually seated and told to help ourselves from the buffet even though it was not stocked very well. We ordered drinks and a breakfast each which took ages to come and we had to ask for basics like butter. When the breakfast arrived it was cold. All of the waiters seemed to be focusing on room service trays. Maybe if we had ordered one as it was really pushed in check in, we would have had amore pleasent experience.
The checkout was also very poorly run and we ended up just walking out in the knowledge that the hotel had already swiped our credit card.
It was such a disappointment to have our trip tainted with such poor service, but the hotel was gorgeous and proved to be a perfect restful break.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony, lovely to sit out at the end of theevening overlooking the pond. Room 1020 was ov...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AbandRhys
bury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Went here with my sister a little treat from our lovely dad... We arrived at 12noon and our room was ready...room was lovely everything you expect from a 5 star hotel all little touches elemis shampoo/conditioner... molton brown shower gel... water/biscuits/coffee/ bathrobes/slippers ....we had lunch in the garden fabulous... Spa was clean staff lovely very welcoming... Treatments pure bliss... Evening meal fantastic... staff brilliant...Breakfast all I can say is WOW.....we had a lovely time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Grounds are lovely with self catering cottages but as soon as you walk in you are greeted by a very friendly receptionist who makes you feel welcome immediately. We managed to check in at 12.30pm rather than 2pm which was great. The Spa itself is very new and so makes other Spa's look pretty poor as it is so up to date and well planned out. There was just the right amount of people in and when a noisy hen party entered the staff were quick to ensure they understood it is a spa and not for screaming and shouting. The facilities are excellent and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Slippers and gowns are provided so you can spend your whole stay wearing them around the hotel. In the evening wee had dinner but the food took a long time to come out considering we were the first table in the restaurant to be seated. The meal took over 1 1/2 hours for 2 courses (mains and pudding) The mains were not served for over 3/4 hr which does appear to be pretty long and pussings were then rushed as we had a taxi booked. The staff were apologetic as some of the food was also cold which did not make sense when we had waited so long. Breakfast was fabulous with a great selection, I have many food intolerances and these were all accommodated. We had a treatment to finish off our stay but be aware that they say 1/2 treatment but I was only massaged for 17 minutes in total. Best to book an hours treatment and I think it depends on who your therapist is as my friend had a good 25 minute massage! Overall I would recommend Ribby to others. Taxi journey to Blackpool centre cost £18 one way through the hotel and was more expensive when booking locally so use the hotel to get a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 1035, it's at the back of the hotel on the corner so nice size and at the en...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judgys
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were kindly bought a gift voucher entitling us to a night at the Spa Hotel complete with room, dinner, bed and breakfast.

On arrival we were allocated a room by staff who couldn't have been more helpful - polite, smiling and happy to help.

The room - not the best view in the hotel looking over rooftops to the rear, but 1041 was large, clean with a large modern 4 poster bed and a huge bathroom with both bath and walk in double shower. Molten Brown shampoos etc, big fluffy towels and a multi media entertainment centre with i pod dock finished off the impression of a well thought out interior.

The only slight downside was that the walls of the room were a tad thin and noise from adjoining rooms filtered through occasionally.

The Spa - was quite busy as you would expect on a Saturday afternoon, but wasn't packed and none of the saunas/steam rooms were crowded. It became a lot quiter after 5pm. My partner had the Indian head massage at £28 which she rated as ok. We did want the couples massage and had been trying to book for some weeks without success. It's well worth noting that if you want a treatment, book it at the same time as the hotel as availability seems limited. We had a very relaxing afternoon and enjoyed it that much we will be booking a day there sometime soon.

The Bar & Restaurant - The food for me was the best part of the weekend. Lunch was reasonable and tasty at around £25 for 2 with drinks, but dinner was some of the best food we have eaten in a long time. Once again, service was excellent with unobtrusive but happy and smiling staff who were only too happy to help and always on hand. Amazing presentation and enough on the plate that I couldn't face a sweet. I heavily recommend the goats cheese starter and the grilled cod.

Drinks were priced at usual hotel rates (Around £6 for a large glass of wine - worth bearing in mind as I noticed one group at check out visibly blanche at their bar bill!)

Breakfast the following morning could have been taken in bed at no extra cost, but we opted to get up. The choice is huge and very high quality - far better than most of the hotels we have stopped at in the UK.

Overall a great experience and one we would love to repeat with some of the nicest staff we have encountered anywhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village? Share your experiences!