“Disappointing”

Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
Reviewed March 27, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I had great expectations. It's a beautiful manor house in the middle of picturesque grounds but that's where the positives end. Upon arriving at reception I was told my room was in the Headley wing and given very curt directions. I wasn't informed about breakfast or dinner and the reception manager really showed no interest in making my stay comfortable. When I arrived at the room I was surprised by how small it was. A small bed was pushed against a dirty wall with a very basic set of facilities at the end of the bed. The room was cold and smelt damp. Throughout my stay I had a number of maintenance issues such as a toilet which was dripping all night, a plug hole which didn't open and the power frequently cut out. On a number of occasions there was no hot water. The hotel was unloved and the staff were uninterested. I was staying with a training group and it seems the rooms in the wing are probably cheaper but there's no excuse for not getting the basics right. The rooms were also very noisy and I could hear every time the guest next door used the toilet or even coughed. I've stayed in much better budget hotels. The food in the hotel was very good though, although the restaurant did run out of bacon. The catering and events staff were also much more helpful than the reception staff. This hotel seriously needs some TLC and staff who care about their guests.

Room Tip: Avoid the Headley wing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan H
There are newer reviews for Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This beautiful hotel is located in the same town where some of Four Weddings and a Funeral was filmed back in the 90's. Picturesque and quaint...the outside of this hotel supports that vibe for sure. Inside you still have the main house's charm of days gone by, but the addition of a conference center means the hotel also have every modern convenience and amenity.

However, the additions to the original structure are downright ugly. So when you book, ask for a room in the main manor house. Otherwise you'll be feeling much like the servants relegated to the less attractive quarters (although I'm told the bedrooms were just as nice.)

The bedroom I had was up one flight of stairs (no elevator/lift) and was spacious. It was decorated in a very modern gray and purple scheme with a queen bed, desk with large mirror so it could be a dressing table, sizable wardrobe with ironing board, coffee/tea maker, hair dryer, and a safe inside. Plenty of hangers and space for my suitcase, clothing, shoes, and small items. Very large window that lets in beautiful light but also heavy drapery and blinds that make sleeping easy. A flat screen TV with limited channels is mounted on the wall across from the bed--not easy to watch from the club chair in the room. The bathroom was small and horribly lit--no good lighting for makeup ladies! (But that's the only complaint I have about the room.)

The age of the hotel sometimes means that it will be loud--hearing people in adjacent rooms or above/below you. Not the case here. I had no problem falling into a nice sleep without being bothered by neighbors (and the hotel was sold out the night I was there, so there were people above, below and on both sides of me I'm certain).

The restaurant served a nice dinner in a beautiful dining room. The breakfast the next morning was buffet style and offered many varieties of cold and hot options.

Since I was there for meetings, I also experienced their conference center which was adjacent to the main hotel accessed by a long hallway that passed by a beautiful grass courtyard overlooking the back of the property. Just beautiful!

My stay was too short at this hotel. Everyone I encountered was pleasant and the setting is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for room in main manor house on 2nd floor to avoid having to stay in ugly annex or deal with man...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times recently and have had a pleasurable experience on each occasion.

The staff are warm, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

The hotel has an impressive entrance, up the long drive in a wonderful rural setting with the Surrey Hills providing a lovely backdrop.

I note that some previous reviewers have not found the annex to their liking, yet I found the rooms there comfortable, even though the bathrooms are a little out of proportion (large) in relation to the room, which is big enough. The annex also heightens the rural experience, the rooms look out onto woodland and I found it made the experience more intimate and enjoyed the birdsong in the mornings. Certainly when I have stayed in the annex I've not felt disconnected from the hotel, which is the implication of other reviewers comments.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2013

ok.... but a few things let this place down. Firstly, an impressive long driveway which leads to a beautiful mansion house. parking wasn't a problem, but our room was in a separate building to the side of the main property. why on earth they would choose to build such an ugly annex beside a beautiful property is beyond me. it looks like something plucked from a run down council estate! its only saving grace that it was warm & the room size was ok. no wonder its hidden away behind hedges though! secondly its unfortunate that its not a little closer to anywhere should you wish to dine out. After pre arranging a later check out time, we had house keeping knocking on our door requesting we vacate the room....somewhat interupting a "moment" if you catch my drift. ... lack of communication obviously. I was also disappointed to realise on check out that staff did not confirm all details of the reservation on check in with my partner as he had no idea the room was pre paid. from working in hospitality, this was always standard procedure?..let alone the 2 staff squeezed together trying to use one computer.
all in all , if I was to stay here again id definitely recommend you specify a room in the main house,put out the do not disturb sign and pre plan your dinner arrangements.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank fairyc86
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Travelling to London to enjoy a west end show/dinner package, we were swayed away from our normal city centre favourite Jolly St Ermin's by an incredible offer at the Hartsfield, a few miles south of London near to Gatwick and the M25.

The De Vere website shows two types of room, one classed as a contemporary manor double. The only bedroom photo shows a large bright and airy room with large bay window, covered bench at the bottom of a large king size bed, lofty ceilings and chandelier. Perfect for a romantic trip. The exterior and interior photos of the manor are also extremely inviting and classy. In the website's gallery, the site also repeats the picture with a caption suggesting "our 50 rooms have been recently refurbished to reflect the charm of Hartsfield Manor".

And due to the exceptionally good mid-week offer for a two night stay, we paid the extra for the contemporary manor double.

On arrival, the hall was everything it promised, large rolling lawns, stately mansion and panelled reception and staircase. Once past the fire doors, the hotel takes on a more drab, tired persona.

With no lift, the third floor room offered presented great difficulties for my wife with mobility issues, but to my horror, the attic room allocated bore NO resemblance at all to the advertised photos, with dark furniture and decorations, tiny windows and low sloping ceiling - quite oppressive.. I immediately negotiated once more the very narrow staircase to visit the reception, to inform them of their mistake. No mistake. This was apparently a contemporary manor double. However, they did kindly offer to move us one floor down to another contemporary double, which was a little larger.

Armed with ipad (the hotel at least does have a slow but working wifi connection) I returned to reception and demonstrated the photo. "Oh yes, that's our executive suite", which apparently wasn't available due to a wedding booking.

Dinner was satisfactory if not over-priced, the dining room would benefit from a little TLC (note the broken light shades over our table), and the room was comfortable, but we were so thoroughly disappointed it completely ruined our trip away, and we sorely wished we had spent the extra money and returned to the St Ermin in Westminster.

At checkout we spoke to the manager who said they would ask for the website to be updated, and said that actually we could have been upgraded to the exec room the previous evening.

Disappointed with the hotel staff's nonchalant attitude, I wrote to both DeVere and DeVere Venues in November, but did not get a satisfactory reply until January. The manager's explanation is that there is a range of styles of contemporary manor double, the executive room being one of those that could be offered (note there is no executive double on the website - you cannot deliberately book that room). So it's a bit of a lottery what you get.

We did eventually receive an offer of a single night's stay back at the hotel, but clearly this was of no interest as we do not visit Surrey often. We asked if they would extend this offer to a De Vere hotel, but that could not be arranged as apparently De Vere Venues is a different company to De Vere and while they are part of the same group, they do not interact commercially. Eventually De Vere offered a stay in one of the other Venues but then qualified this by listing a number which did were not included in the offer. De Vere seem to have missed the fact that our Christmas present was ruined by this experience, and a single night stay did not really compensate. Needless to say I have not taken them up on their offer and De Vere, once a favourite of ours, is now firmly on the NO list.

Incidentally the website hasn't been modified, and trading standards have been informed.

If this sounds like sour grapes, then I suggest you visit the website for yourself and then compare this with the photos posted with this review. I would post their original website image but no doubt that would breech copyright and be removed by tripadvisor. Decide for yourself whether you are receiving what you think you are paying for.

Disappointing outcome to what was a very promising stay. Which all goes to prove, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WTMEUK
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. Check in was swift and professional in the entrance to the large manor house lobby.
I was then given directions to my room which started with the words " go back outside " ?
The main house holds only a fraction of the rooms, the rest are situated in a mixture of what can only be decribed as posh port-a-cabins!
My room reminded me of a hospital ward ( possibly mental)
We ate out so I cannot comment on the food, but I can tell you that the bar shuts at 11pm resident or not!!
Would not return as when away from home I try to get at least as good as being at home, this place fell well short.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Padman22
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night on way back from Gatwick, Lovely location and very helpful staff. Allocated room 15 in main house and only problem was the loo with no toilet roll holder and heated towel rain to close to the toilet!
Food very good but not alot of choice in main dining room but what we had was very good as was breakfast. All in all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Think rooms in main house nicer than annex
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 1 in East Horsley
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Been to Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth? Share your experiences!