“Reasonable expectations let down by misleading marketing”

Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Travelling to London to enjoy a west end show/dinner package, we were swayed away from our normal city centre favourite Jolly St Ermin's by an incredible offer at the Hartsfield, a few miles south of London near to Gatwick and the M25.

The De Vere website shows two types of room, one classed as a contemporary manor double. The only bedroom photo shows a large bright and airy room with large bay window, covered bench at the bottom of a large king size bed, lofty ceilings and chandelier. Perfect for a romantic trip. The exterior and interior photos of the manor are also extremely inviting and classy. In the website's gallery, the site also repeats the picture with a caption suggesting "our 50 rooms have been recently refurbished to reflect the charm of Hartsfield Manor".

And due to the exceptionally good mid-week offer for a two night stay, we paid the extra for the contemporary manor double.

On arrival, the hall was everything it promised, large rolling lawns, stately mansion and panelled reception and staircase. Once past the fire doors, the hotel takes on a more drab, tired persona.

With no lift, the third floor room offered presented great difficulties for my wife with mobility issues, but to my horror, the attic room allocated bore NO resemblance at all to the advertised photos, with dark furniture and decorations, tiny windows and low sloping ceiling - quite oppressive.. I immediately negotiated once more the very narrow staircase to visit the reception, to inform them of their mistake. No mistake. This was apparently a contemporary manor double. However, they did kindly offer to move us one floor down to another contemporary double, which was a little larger.

Armed with ipad (the hotel at least does have a slow but working wifi connection) I returned to reception and demonstrated the photo. "Oh yes, that's our executive suite", which apparently wasn't available due to a wedding booking.

Dinner was satisfactory if not over-priced, the dining room would benefit from a little TLC (note the broken light shades over our table), and the room was comfortable, but we were so thoroughly disappointed it completely ruined our trip away, and we sorely wished we had spent the extra money and returned to the St Ermin in Westminster.

At checkout we spoke to the manager who said they would ask for the website to be updated, and said that actually we could have been upgraded to the exec room the previous evening.

Disappointed with the hotel staff's nonchalant attitude, I wrote to both DeVere and DeVere Venues in November, but did not get a satisfactory reply until January. The manager's explanation is that there is a range of styles of contemporary manor double, the executive room being one of those that could be offered (note there is no executive double on the website - you cannot deliberately book that room). So it's a bit of a lottery what you get.

We did eventually receive an offer of a single night's stay back at the hotel, but clearly this was of no interest as we do not visit Surrey often. We asked if they would extend this offer to a De Vere hotel, but that could not be arranged as apparently De Vere Venues is a different company to De Vere and while they are part of the same group, they do not interact commercially. Eventually De Vere offered a stay in one of the other Venues but then qualified this by listing a number which did were not included in the offer. De Vere seem to have missed the fact that our Christmas present was ruined by this experience, and a single night stay did not really compensate. Needless to say I have not taken them up on their offer and De Vere, once a favourite of ours, is now firmly on the NO list.

Incidentally the website hasn't been modified, and trading standards have been informed.

If this sounds like sour grapes, then I suggest you visit the website for yourself and then compare this with the photos posted with this review. I would post their original website image but no doubt that would breech copyright and be removed by tripadvisor. Decide for yourself whether you are receiving what you think you are paying for.

Disappointing outcome to what was a very promising stay. Which all goes to prove, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WTMEUK

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. Check in was swift and professional in the entrance to the large manor house lobby.
I was then given directions to my room which started with the words " go back outside " ?
The main house holds only a fraction of the rooms, the rest are situated in a mixture of what can only be decribed as posh port-a-cabins!
My room reminded me of a hospital ward ( possibly mental)
We ate out so I cannot comment on the food, but I can tell you that the bar shuts at 11pm resident or not!!
Would not return as when away from home I try to get at least as good as being at home, this place fell well short.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Padman22
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night on way back from Gatwick, Lovely location and very helpful staff. Allocated room 15 in main house and only problem was the loo with no toilet roll holder and heated towel rain to close to the toilet!
Food very good but not alot of choice in main dining room but what we had was very good as was breakfast. All in all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Think rooms in main house nicer than annex
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for an overnight visit whilst walking the nearby North Downs Way. The Standard Double room allocated for a very good rate is small with a double bed and every other comfort squeezed in to a relatively small space. Not located in the main house but in the new wing. The room reminded me of some Scandinavian hotels I have stayed in where the rooms have been small functional and spotless and use limitied space effectively. This one did have a double bed however and a nice en suite too.

The facilities are excellent and the bar and sitting rooms throughout are comfortable and like the room very cosy and warm. The grounds of the house are well maintained with a large outdoor chess game and small stage and seating for the Summer.
At the rate I was able to get I really could not fault the Hartsfield Manor. Surrounded by beautiful countryside also.

Room Tip: The village of Betchworth has a couple of decent pubs worth checking out.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MartynG_11
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful building and setting but I didn't see on devere's website that there are annexe rooms and even when confirmation booking comes through it doesn't say you'll be in the annexe but just looked at late rooms, infotel etc and they state it. See they don't put pix of those outbuildings on website either. Certainly wasn't full - so even though we were on a deal could have accommodated us in manor house.
Annexe has the look of a butlins holiday camp which just doesn't fit with the manor house but a nice enough cosy room - just a pain to have to wrap up to walk to the restaurant and just didn't feel part of hotel. Could have done with a bottle of water in the room which you'd think was standard these days. Basic tea and coffee, minimal products soap and body wash - very good free wifi, iron & ironing board, fan and a hairdryer that you plugged in yourself not in a drawer with a 2 inch cord!

£99.00 deal v good value - only 3 choices of each course and by 8pm had ran out of one of the starters and one of the mains we chose - and probably only 16 covers in the restaurant? Also play some jazz web fm radio in the restaurant (better than it being silent) but just a bit weird it coming over the airwaves.
Breakfast was nice - 10am check out on a weekend seems a bit mean.

I can imagine a wedding would be beautiful and a good venue for conferences.

We highlighted to them about a filthy plug hole (basically the bath water hadn't ran away and my fiancé must have taken out a few months worth of hairs blocking the drain - not pleasant especially when it's not your own!) but were very good at acknowledging that and apologetic.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here last night 26/1/13.
Main building looks great but most rooms appear to be in annexes as our's was - in the lodge.
Check-in was OK but walk to lodge was so far that we drove!
Room was quite nice, bed a bit small but it was clean, comfortable and functional.
Sadly woken by rude guests at 04:50 who thought it was OK to talk at full volume outside our door - amazing!
Didn't eat at Hotel so can't comment on that.
Overall, an OK hotel but don't expect too much, it is just.........OK!

Room Tip: Dont stay in lodge
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

When I look for helpful reviews I do look at the past CV of the reviewer rather than someone who seems to have merely used the website for a "one off" gripe. If you have a problem why use the trip advisor site once and never again. Have the guts to confront the hotel straightaway! This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel when I have visited Reigate. I did some research on the hotel the first time and the hotel is a DeVere brand that is used for conferences. For this reason you either get a room in a fabulous part of the old building or go for a modern "conference" bedroom. I rang up in the morning and asked for the main building. The hotel duly obliged and we even got an upgrade into the bargain. I would just agree with the earlier review by "tmtemeo". If there is a weakness in the main hotel it does not appear to have a lift which is natural for the type of building it is.

Room Tip: If you have a disability you would be much better off by asking for a conference bedroom
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
6 mi away
#1 of 1 in East Horsley
Travelodge Dorking
Travelodge Dorking
#6 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth? Share your experiences!