“Poor Thought Out Bedroom” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
London
“Poor Thought Out Bedroom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a fast and efficient registration at reception we were directed to the annex. To get there we had to negotiate a flight of steps that were not lit, making it very dangerous. We thought they were an accident waiting to happen without lights and wondered how they passed health and safety assessments. Some time later we found they were lit, just not at the right time that day. Subsequently they were lit as soon as i was dark.

With all the radiators turned to max, the heat from our room hit us when we opened the door. It took some time to get the heat down inside, even with the windows open.

The room was very, very spacious and its a shame they didn't utilise the space more by putting a kingsize bed in. The lighting was a real problem in the bathroom, with no mirror light for shaving, or for my wifes make up. She found there wasn't sufficient light in the bedroom either for applying her makeup easily. The wardrobe was ill designed with the rail for clothes running from front to back, rather than side to side. This made it difficult to take out clothes, or put the back.

The main hotel was really lovely and it was nice to relax in the lounge on the days it was available. We also enjoyed relaxing in a couple of comfy chairs in the corridor, with a pretty view to the country. The staff were very efficient and we found the hotal manager particularly helpful and amenible.

The gym is quite spacious for the amount of equipment, and was little used for our stay. There are a couple of rowing machines, treadmills, bikes and some free weights. I understand a bit more equipment was about to be installed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked this Hotel for a one night stay in September as it was just a short 3 mile car journey to where I was due to take an exam the following day, and most of the Devere Hotels are generally pretty good!!

Room was ok ... Not the best I've stayed in to be honest, but sufficiently clean and comfortable.

Hotel is quite tucked away so a car or cab is a must to get anywhere!!

Beautiful big old mansion house style property with loads of character!

Breakfast was lovely ... Plenty of choice ... Although I didn't eat much that day pending the exam!!

I would stay again if I needed to be in the area at some future point.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sidcup, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at this country hotel for a small family get together (Just six of us) Lovely old building, clean and beautifully decorated for Christmas. Seemed to be more staff than guests and we were well looked after. Breakfast was great and plentiful, and the "Christmas lunch" was very good. Sadly, we were the only guests dining. There is a "Trim Trail" which runs around the lovely grounds of the hotel, and we were able to take a really nice walk which led through the surrounding area and saw a herd of deer in the grounds of a nearby Wonham Manor. We stayed in the annexe which as other reviewers have noted is rather like nurses quarters or student accomodation. Seems to have been recently decorated. Rooms were not very large and quite the smallest double bed we have ever slept in. I think there must have been something wrong with the drains as the bathroom was a bit smelly. Price probably about right for the accomodation provided. We stayed over at the start of the week, and it was all fairly quiet. The hotel is clearly geared up for weddings and conferences or seminars and trainings so I imagine that might impact on things at some times. Especially if there was a wedding going on, but we had no such problems. A pleasant stay, friendly staff and the manager (Michael) who told us he was fairly new to this hotel went out of his way to make us welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annexe are rather basic and drains a bit smelly when we were there. Can't speak for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the Hartsfield manor Hotel for one night prior to flying out from gatwick the following morning. We wanted a romantic beautiful hotel to stay in to start off our holiday. We were thrilled when we arrived and it looked like a beautiful castle with lage beautifully kept grounds. Parking was plentiful and easy, we were greeted nicely when we arrived at reception. The lobby was stunning with original windows and immacuate decor. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We were checked in quickly, given our key and directions to our room. We went into our room and it was huge, modern, beautifully decorated in mushroom/black/bergundy tones, lovely comfy bed, perfect modern large bathroom, tea/coffee/ trouser press/ tv/ dressing table/ toiletries....everything you could want for! In the morning we had a lovely breakfast in the restaurant...cooked was available but I just had museli and toast and tea which was lovely. The staff were very polite and helpful. We could not fault this hotel and will definitely be staying here again! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: no 19 was perfect and quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful location and stunning building really let down by the annexe. We stayed one night in the annexe following a wedding. The hall, main hotel rooms were prettily decked for Christmas, and all seemed well until we opened our bedroom door!
We should have been warned as the corridor leading to the annexe rooms was chilly and very unwelcoming!
We felt as though we were staying in out of date hospital room. The room was dated and fully equipped for disabled guests with a wet room instead of a shower. This would not have been a problem, and we welcome the enlightened hotel that caters well,for all it's guests, but the wet room was clearly tired and elderly and could have been so much more welcoming for all guests. The bedroom was tiny and the double bed, barely that. The draughty window, despite double glazing managed to chill us through most of the night. Not an experience we will repeat.
Talking to other guests, we understand the main house bedrooms offer a far better experience. If we were to find ourselves here again we would opt for that.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Betchworth hotels

Woking
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have seen some of the other review for this hotel and can only say that our experience was everything we could have hope for. We got married there last October. Second time round for both of us and we wanted a venue for 40 or so immediate family and close friends that could be our own country house for the day.

Hartsfield will give sole access to the entire main hotel if you take 20 rooms, this fitted perfectly for our party with the 10 extras for the evening and we ended up with the rum of the hotel, superbly staffed on the day, our every request was met and it did feel like we owned the place. The quality of food was better than most and we supplied our own champagne for a very modest corkage charge.

The hotel accomodation is very good without being out of the top drawer but it is really the feel of the place and the attetiveness of the staff that made it a perfect setting. The whole experience from the planning meeting to the trial meal and the final event was so stress free as to be unnoticeable. The weather played its part too but just added to the rosy glow.

To be recommended

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel last Tuesday night as part of a corporate booking for 20 or so rooms. On Wednesday after I had checked out of the hotel and was on my way to a function, I realised that I had left my iPhone charger in the room, so I called and spoke to a woman at reception and told her that I had left my charger plugged in on the right side of the bed in room 15, which happens to be at the top of the stairs right next to reception. The woman said she would check the room and call me back later that day. No call was received.

I then phoned again the next day, got the same woman and asked if she had been able get my charger from the room. She told me that she hadn’t as yet, as the room was now occupied and she had to speak to the manager. I asked her why the manager was needed and enquired whether it would be possible for her to just call the room, ask the current occupiers if the charger was there, and ask if she could come up and collect it from the room. Not difficult one would have thought. However, she said that this was not possible and that she would have to speak to the manager. I said that this was fine but asked if she or her manager could call me back. Again she took my number and said that I would receive a phone call later that day from someone. Again, no phone call was received.

On Friday I decided that I would give it one more chance. I called again and this time I got through to a different woman. At last, I thought, someone who would be able to help me and who might actually keep to their word! I explained the situation with the charger and the fact that I was supposed to receive a call back on 2 separate occasions but hadn’t. The woman apologised and said that no phone charger had been found by housekeeping. I explained that this wasn’t a case of me dropping or misplacing the charger, and that as I had explained on my initial phone call the day I checked out, the charger had been left plugged in next to the bed, where my phone had been charging during the night. I said that I didn’t understand how a very simple issue had become so complicated and time-consuming.

She apologised again and said that she would check again and call me back. I made sure that she had my number and asked for her assurance that I would receive a call back given my previous experience of being told I would receive one.

Guess what? No call.

I have now given up with this hotel and would far rather have the hassle and cost of going out and buying a replacement charger than have to deal with the wholly inept staff who work at this hotel.

It is actually a shame about the staff as the hotel is good, clean and well-presented, and the food was great too.

If you choose to stay at this hotel, be warned, don’t leave anything behind and expect any of the staff to care or do anything about it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Facster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
De Vere Wotton House
Premier Inn Redhill Reigate Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate

Been to Hartsfield Manor Betchworth? Share your experiences!