“Rudest landlady ever”

Red Lion Pub
Ranked #2 of 4 Betchworth B&B and Inns
“Rudest landlady ever”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have just got back from an afternoon out we researched the pub on trip advisor it looked nice tried it out, when we arrived the pub seemed nice I had a nice lunch and due to lack of information on the menu about the ingredients neither of my friends like their meals and ate none of it, we are all in the pub industry one of us being a pub manager all agreed we should not have to pay, the landlady who served us did not check back to see how the food was and when we told her about the food she disappeared and never came back, so we went to the bar to pay explained we were not happy to pay for the two meals she said 'it's not my problem' at which I disagreed and she followed on to say ' leave then' and rudely dismissed us a shouting as we walked out even though we were happy to pay for everything else! I was so shocked at her response this is the first time I have ever written a bad review but if anyone else wants to go here and be ignored and shouted at then be my guest but I will definitely not be going back!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank Harrifoodandwine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Freshwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2011

My partner and I went to the Red Lion as a last minute decision to eat out. We weren't sure what to expect but had heard the food was good and this was an understatement.
We had a selection of breads and dips for starters and then I had steak pie and my partner had fish pie for the main course and it was truly excellent. The service was attentive but not distracting and we had a really lovely evening which is just what we needed after a tough day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie W
Buckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We have eaten at the Red Lion many times, as they always serve excellent quality food at a competitive price with a varied menu, including regularly changed specials. Recently we had a friends and family party, using their downstairs function room. Cindy and Paul, the owners, couldn't have been more helpful in making the event a success; nicely decorated tables etc, providing an excellent buffet and great service. On previous occassions we have had family and friends use the hotel rooms, which they have always found to be a good nights sleep in comfortable, clean rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Graham H
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed 4 nights recently at this country pub and it was perfect for what I wanted. Good sized room, very comfortable bed, hot shower, hair dryer and very good pub meals. The staff are friendly and helpful and there are several wines available by the glass. All of these things make it easy for a female on her own and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or recommend it. Others have complained about the breakfast. I thought it was more than adequate and I was pleased I could have it when I wanted without having to get dressed up and talk to strangers - or worse - eat in silence in a quiet dining room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stopped in at the Red Lion over the weekend for lunch after the end of a lovely walk in the surrounding area. Everything was just lovely, with helpful staff, nice decor and seating and great food for a reasonable price. The menu isn't extensive but all delicious. Between us we had the hot and cold salmon, the baked cambert, the chilli crab cakes and lots of chips and it just hit the spot.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
buckinghamshire
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed as we were going to a 60th birthday party. Wouldn't ever stay again. Only thing going for it was a nicely decorated room.
The room didn't have a full length mirror so I couldn't see my outfit from head to toe, no hairdryer, no tissues in the room - had to blow my nose on toilet paper - and liquid soap was placed at shower height so when in the bath, I had to keep standing up to reach the soap.

I spoke on the phone to owner prior to booking and was told it was a continental breakfast. On arrival, when I enquired times for breakfast, was told that the continental breakfast would be placed in our room the night before. Felt slightly uneasy about that considering there was not a fridge in the room. What arrived for 2 of us was an American breakfast - with a muffin each, choice of Kellogg's cereals ( and Alpen) carton of orange juice, a banana and an apple plus a small flask of milk. Was it full fat, semi or skimmed? don't know- they didn't ask us our preference. Tea and coffee were provided in the usual sachets of Nescafe coffee and tea.
Absolutely dreadful. Not a croissant, or bread roll, butter or jam in sight.
And for this they charged £70 - £78 B & B

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greenviews
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We found this pub with the help of TripAdvisor so thought it appropriate to add our own review. The only reason we have not given an overall 'Excellent' rating is we only dined here and cannot therefore comment on the hotel aspects. The Red Lion was in fact our second choice, we were deterred from our first choice by reviews of bad language and with young children quickly changed our booking. We were meeting with extended family for a ramble to clear fuzzy heads after New Year celebrations followed by what we hoped would be some good food and we were not to be disappointed. We were a little apprehensive on arrival as the decor and furnishings are a little dated but this was quickly forgotten once seated by the friendly staff and menus in hand . The food was a truly pleasant surprise, a number of the party (including myself) opted for a hearty bowl of chicken and chorizo from the specials board and it was delicious. Everyone in our party commented on how good their food was, which is no mean feat within our family of foodies, and even the children were happy!! On this occasion our choice of venue had been geared around location that was convenient to all, but I am pleased to say that we would happily make the Red Lion a destination for future visits and not just a convenient place to meet and eat. As I finish this review I am reminded of how our visit finished, with rare and unusual praise from my mother in-law to the lady of the pub, that the bathrooms were spotless!! We all quickly scurried to our cars. Hope you enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
The Cranleigh Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate

Been to Red Lion Pub? Share your experiences!