“A terrible stay. A sleepless night. Great if you like listening to drunken yobs and all night sex games”
Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
North Derbyshire
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited this hotel, checking out earlier today. When we arrived we were greeted in a friendly way. The hotel looks good for a budget hotel, which it is. The receptionist told us the restaurant had closed but she would persuade the chef to make us some chips which was quite pleasing as there is nowhere else around to eat. Though the small bowl of chips proved to be very expensive and they conveniently could not find any change. We checked into our room which was quite clean. There was an electric heater which seemed to have once been set on fire. I certainly would not trust it. There were radiators but there was no heat yet it was 1 December. There were tea making facilities. The shower was very cold. The major problem with this hotel is noise. I did not sleep at all. People come in at all hours and the room above us (we were on the ground floor) had noise coming from it all night long (very loud sex with a large group of people). This hotel pretends to be high class, but it is not. It is a disturbing place

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank SCL82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Second time here, first visit had to sleep in the staff flat, second time in Hotel, bed okay, the bathroom had a major leak and there was water squidging in the tile grout lines in the floor as well as an obvious trickle of water across the floor, how they failed to see this from below if un-nerving. First night was busy with a “hens” night, second was busy with the wedding so quite noisy. It’s a shame as they did try their best to resolve the situation and were very polite. It is a good and very quiet location with a degree of character to the older part of the building. If things improved we would consider staying in the future

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Clearly a hotel that has seen better days but the staff are nice enough and there is enough comfort in the place to warrant the discounted fees.

There were 2 of us staying here for 1 night and we had booked a twin room. Upon arrival, we were informed that the only twin room was given to someone else therefore they would make it up to us by allowing us to have 2 rooms which was fair enough.

If we are back in the area, we would definitely stay here again for the good value it offers the traveler.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

When we was shown to our room, it was in a disgusting state, there was vomit all down the side of the bed, blood on the wall by the bed, the carpet was filthy not only with vomit stains but also unrecognisable stains. There was even cigarette ash in the drawers, yet it was supposed to have been cleaned 2 hours previous. We went back downstairs and said no way was we stopping there. The receptionist even went up to the room and even said it was filthy.
Definitely NOT RECOMMEND. We thought it was a home for the homeless.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kicks1

Travelers are raving about these Batley hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed for my wedding anniversary. a bit difficult to find but once there freindly staff welcomed us. bed comfy, but room a bit dark, i note this was mentioned previously. shower mega hot an dangerous, mentioned to staff to check it out. things to see nearby but need to travel. didnt realise it was a built up area ..silly me. all the same nice secluded spot with nice gardens. I found it quiet and slept well. breakfast was adequate and staff again freindly. A little unsettling that dss people ? were there. made sure I didnt leave valuables in room. had a nice meal at robertos italian .. defo wud recommend..lovely meal, great staff.

Room Tip: ask if any brighter rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I checked in late in the evening. I'd called the day before to let the staff know I would be arriving late and there was a note left. I was checked in quickly and my bag carried to my room, number 22. The reason I booked this hotel and not the ones recommended to my office, was because of the free WiFi, unfortunately the only place I could pick it up was sitting in the bathroom doorway, so I didn't get to use it. However I didn't ask to change rooms so that may be been something they could have fixed. I was almost at the end of the corridor and didn't want to leave my nice quiet room.
The decor was of a high standard and the bed was incredibly comfy. The view from the window over the garden was lovely and the room and bathroom were both very spacious.
I couldn't get the shower to work though, so I did have to use the bath instead. But again I didn't bother the staff with it.
I ate dinner every night in the bar. Travelling alone I was a little shy about eating alone but the barman (who's name I have completely forgotten I'm afraid) was very chatty and friendly and really put me at ease. The food was lovely. Very reasonably priced and lots of it! Just what I needed after the not-so-great lunch provided at the course I was attending.
Breakfast in the morning however wasn't great. I had cereal and juice after the first morning. The cooked breakfast was very greasy and I felt quite queasy after eating some of it. Service was quick though so no complaints there.
These reasons alone and I would have rated the hotel 4* but I've only given it 3*, that is because as a young woman travelling alone, and staying in the hotel for a number of days, I would have liked to have known than the hotel doubles as a homeless hostel. After finding out I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know if it is just empty rooms that are used in emergencies, if it was a one off when I was staying or if the other wing of the hotel really is a homeless hostel. I honestly don't know. But I wish someone would have told me.
As for returning, the hotel itself was fine but there wasn't much around it. The view of the garden was nice though and it certainly was quiet so I slept like a baby. If work were to send me to that centre again I'm not sure if I would stay again. Perhaps if I were travelling with colleagues.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hazelkatseyez
Kingston Upon Hull
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I know that you pay for what you get and the fact that we obtained a two night stay for two with breakfast at a discounted price via KGB for £79 when should have been £198 we shouldn't complain. However I feel compelled to make people aware of what they will get for their money, not matter what they pay.

Approach to the hotel is via a very pot holed road/cobbles but looks the typical Yorkshire Country home. The reception was unmaned and although two tone alarm sounds your arrival took what seemed like an age for someone to come to the reception to greet us. A Very polite gentleman saw us to our room (20) and had extreem difficulty in opening our room door. Having to go to obtain the cleaners key eventually saw us into our room. There were no other staff in the hotel at this time.

The Room (Executive double), not a huge room but sufficient for our needs. First impression was that it was very dark. Natural light being blocked out by the trees in the garden to the rear of the house, the low powered ceiling light situated in the entrance to the room rather than in the center and similar low power side lights didn't brighten the room. There was tea/coffee available. A new Flat Screen TV installed on the wall (Too low for when you are lying in bed at night)
The Bathroom could do with a makeover. The suite although clean is dated and has mildew
build up behind taps and around the bath. The Shower, as others have noted was diabolical.
Not hot enough or with any power. These too need to be updated.
After eventually finding somewhere to eat, lovely Indian in Heckmondwyke called Sammy's we wanted to have a couple of drinks in the bar before bed. The bar was locked up but the General Manager opened up and served us but we had no option but to put the charges onto the room as no float was in the til (Aparently the manager doesn't like to have a float) And so to bed. awoken at 3.15 am by the fire alarm sounding for a short period and on speaking to the night porter was caused by smoke, but not to evacuate. Asked about it the next morning apparently he was cooking chips as he needed to eat because of Ramadan. The chef seemed the only one concerned and apologetic that this had taken place. Breakfast was lovely set us up for our day and the restaurant is very pretty and this decor could do to be used throughout the rest of the Hotel. After a day touring the area we returned to shower (in the dribble of water) and wanted to have a couple of drinks in the bar which was locked up again and a girl who said she was just filling in for someone said the night porter had the key and wasn't in not returning for another hour or so and even if the bar was open she was not trained to serve us. Again only one member of staff on duty. Ridiculous.
It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary and felt let down by not being able to chill with my husband with a few drinks. (we had to go to Tesco to buy drink and nibbles for us and had a lovely evening together our room). We had to ask for more towels (2 hand and one small provided and two shower gel sachets provided for two nights) The room wasn't cleaned/tidied or tea/coffee replenished.
The grounds to the rear and the view of the house is beautiful. The hotel has so much potential and the management need to concentrate on guests and their requirements. Also note that this hotel have DSS guests. All very young people who did not cause any issues, but perhaps the reason why the bar is locked up and no cash in the tills. That seems to be where the management want to make their money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Ramada Wakefield
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Premier Inn Leeds South (Birstall) Hotel
Village Hotel Leeds South

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!