“worth a stay but only if an offer on.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“worth a stay but only if an offer on.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed for my wedding anniversary. a bit difficult to find but once there freindly staff welcomed us. bed comfy, but room a bit dark, i note this was mentioned previously. shower mega hot an dangerous, mentioned to staff to check it out. things to see nearby but need to travel. didnt realise it was a built up area ..silly me. all the same nice secluded spot with nice gardens. I found it quiet and slept well. breakfast was adequate and staff again freindly. A little unsettling that dss people ? were there. made sure I didnt leave valuables in room. had a nice meal at robertos italian .. defo wud recommend..lovely meal, great staff.

Room Tip: ask if any brighter rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I checked in late in the evening. I'd called the day before to let the staff know I would be arriving late and there was a note left. I was checked in quickly and my bag carried to my room, number 22. The reason I booked this hotel and not the ones recommended to my office, was because of the free WiFi, unfortunately the only place I could pick it up was sitting in the bathroom doorway, so I didn't get to use it. However I didn't ask to change rooms so that may be been something they could have fixed. I was almost at the end of the corridor and didn't want to leave my nice quiet room.
The decor was of a high standard and the bed was incredibly comfy. The view from the window over the garden was lovely and the room and bathroom were both very spacious.
I couldn't get the shower to work though, so I did have to use the bath instead. But again I didn't bother the staff with it.
I ate dinner every night in the bar. Travelling alone I was a little shy about eating alone but the barman (who's name I have completely forgotten I'm afraid) was very chatty and friendly and really put me at ease. The food was lovely. Very reasonably priced and lots of it! Just what I needed after the not-so-great lunch provided at the course I was attending.
Breakfast in the morning however wasn't great. I had cereal and juice after the first morning. The cooked breakfast was very greasy and I felt quite queasy after eating some of it. Service was quick though so no complaints there.
These reasons alone and I would have rated the hotel 4* but I've only given it 3*, that is because as a young woman travelling alone, and staying in the hotel for a number of days, I would have liked to have known than the hotel doubles as a homeless hostel. After finding out I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know if it is just empty rooms that are used in emergencies, if it was a one off when I was staying or if the other wing of the hotel really is a homeless hostel. I honestly don't know. But I wish someone would have told me.
As for returning, the hotel itself was fine but there wasn't much around it. The view of the garden was nice though and it certainly was quiet so I slept like a baby. If work were to send me to that centre again I'm not sure if I would stay again. Perhaps if I were travelling with colleagues.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hazelkatseyez
Kingston Upon Hull
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I know that you pay for what you get and the fact that we obtained a two night stay for two with breakfast at a discounted price via KGB for £79 when should have been £198 we shouldn't complain. However I feel compelled to make people aware of what they will get for their money, not matter what they pay.

Approach to the hotel is via a very pot holed road/cobbles but looks the typical Yorkshire Country home. The reception was unmaned and although two tone alarm sounds your arrival took what seemed like an age for someone to come to the reception to greet us. A Very polite gentleman saw us to our room (20) and had extreem difficulty in opening our room door. Having to go to obtain the cleaners key eventually saw us into our room. There were no other staff in the hotel at this time.

The Room (Executive double), not a huge room but sufficient for our needs. First impression was that it was very dark. Natural light being blocked out by the trees in the garden to the rear of the house, the low powered ceiling light situated in the entrance to the room rather than in the center and similar low power side lights didn't brighten the room. There was tea/coffee available. A new Flat Screen TV installed on the wall (Too low for when you are lying in bed at night)
The Bathroom could do with a makeover. The suite although clean is dated and has mildew
build up behind taps and around the bath. The Shower, as others have noted was diabolical.
Not hot enough or with any power. These too need to be updated.
After eventually finding somewhere to eat, lovely Indian in Heckmondwyke called Sammy's we wanted to have a couple of drinks in the bar before bed. The bar was locked up but the General Manager opened up and served us but we had no option but to put the charges onto the room as no float was in the til (Aparently the manager doesn't like to have a float) And so to bed. awoken at 3.15 am by the fire alarm sounding for a short period and on speaking to the night porter was caused by smoke, but not to evacuate. Asked about it the next morning apparently he was cooking chips as he needed to eat because of Ramadan. The chef seemed the only one concerned and apologetic that this had taken place. Breakfast was lovely set us up for our day and the restaurant is very pretty and this decor could do to be used throughout the rest of the Hotel. After a day touring the area we returned to shower (in the dribble of water) and wanted to have a couple of drinks in the bar which was locked up again and a girl who said she was just filling in for someone said the night porter had the key and wasn't in not returning for another hour or so and even if the bar was open she was not trained to serve us. Again only one member of staff on duty. Ridiculous.
It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary and felt let down by not being able to chill with my husband with a few drinks. (we had to go to Tesco to buy drink and nibbles for us and had a lovely evening together our room). We had to ask for more towels (2 hand and one small provided and two shower gel sachets provided for two nights) The room wasn't cleaned/tidied or tea/coffee replenished.
The grounds to the rear and the view of the house is beautiful. The hotel has so much potential and the management need to concentrate on guests and their requirements. Also note that this hotel have DSS guests. All very young people who did not cause any issues, but perhaps the reason why the bar is locked up and no cash in the tills. That seems to be where the management want to make their money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Batley hotels

Teesside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had booked 2 double rooms via a website as we were at a wedding in the area. As far as location went, it was brilliant, easy to get to, find and close to where we needed to be. When the first couple arrived they were asked for payment despite my husband already paying on his credit card. When we arrived the staff were friendly but again asked us for payment. A quick read of our confirmation email sorted that out.
Once in the room (7) everything deemed ok, comfy bed, flat screen tv. It was only when I decided to have a shower that things went wrong. There was no more than a trickle of water and it was freezing cold. No problem, we'll try the bath. That was freezing as well. A chat with reception advised there was a problem with the boiler but it was sorted and water should be hot in about 10th min. Not a lot of good when a taxi was booked for half an hour later and there are two of us to get ready. A mention to reception on our way out filled me with hope it would be sorted when we got back.
Next morning there is still no hot water so we left after a mediocre breakfast and no shower. Breakfast was served in a tiny room with not enough glasses, cereal, milk, yogurts etc. The cooked option was lovely but personally I prefer a choice between more than 2 cereals. We raised the double payment issue for the other couple and the gentleman on reception advised us he would have to get someone to call us about it as the duty manage hadn't turned up and the owner wasn't in and he didn't have he authority to do a refund. It turns out the receptionist was cooking breakfast and the serving staff was doing everything else! Poor bloke. Our friends did get their money back but it was the following day when someone finally rang.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank yummymummyTeesside
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 1 night at the hotel as we were attending a wedding at another venue that did not provide accommodation. On checking in everything seemed fine except that we had been allocated a twin room as opposed to a double that had been booked, the receptionist managed to change this and we were given Room 8.

On entering the room it was noticeable that the heating was on full blast and the temperature was approximately 30 degrees, we asked that someone attend to this whilst we were at the wedding and reception, we returned to the hotel at around 6pm to chill out for a while before the evening reception and found that the heating was still on, we opened the window and again requested that the heating was mended, this was eventually done.

A friend who lives in the area visited us for a drink in the bar before we returned to the wedding, the lager was very cloudy and did not taste very nice, we did not bother asking for this to be changed.

When we arrived back at the hotel for the evening we went to bed and were woken at 7am by the staff taking very loudly on the phone in the room next to us. The fire alarm also went off at 8am.

The room had an extractor fan in the bathroom that took about 20 minutes to go off after the light had been switched off and the shower was freezing.

The customer service was also very poor, we were not asked on checking out if we had enjoyed our stay, suffice to say we will not be returning

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank altay123
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We had booked 3 rooms at this hotel via laterooms as an end to our "Ale Trail" experience with friends. As we arrived in Batley we telephoned the hotel to let them know we were going to be later arriving than originally planned. The receptionist informed us that we would be unable to stay at the hotel as there had been a "leak" and that they would have to transfer us to their sister hotel "Gommersal Lodge" another 5 miles away from Batley (review to follow). Having realised that there was nowhere close by to eat (it was now 9.30pm) we asked the hotel receptionist if they were serving food, to which he replied yes and told us to make our way to Alder House. When we arrived at Alder House we were greeted by the receptionist and another man, who informed us that the restaurant was closed and that he's sent the chef home. We were extremely annoyed at this as we'd only spoken to them 5 mins earlier. Anyway they recommended an Indian restaurant in the next town and paid for our taxi there. We asked why we hadn't been informed of the change of hotel to which they replied "oh we thought you'd made your own way there as you were late arriving here". Very poor customer care and an un-pleasant experience overall. Wait till you read about Gommersal Lodge!!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Recently stayed here for two nights while attending a wedding nearby. Lots of positive points bearing on mind the price we paid: bedroom was pleasantly decorated and clean; a vegetarian cooked breakfast was available; public areas were well maintained; reception staff were welcoming and helpful e.g. when we needed to borrow an ironing board. There were, however, some minor niggles: we were given a room directly above the function room where a wedding was being held which meant very loud, impossible to ignore music until midnight; the bathroom was a little dated and there were cigarette burns on the carpet; the bedroom was incredibly hot with no obvious way of turning down the heat and no drinking water available (we ended up buying a bottle in the bar for £3); breakfast choice was limited if you did not want a cooked meal e.g. no pastries or croissants. But these are very small points and do not detract from the excellent value for money. One thing to note, eating and drinking venues in Batley are very few and far between - we found only one restaurant (Robertos - an Italian in the market sqaure - very good) and some of the pubs were so bad we walked straight out again! Either eat in the hotel or go much further afield.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above the function room (18, 19 and 20 I think)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pebble123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
#1 of 1 in Gildersome
Village Hotel Leeds South

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!