“"A WARM AND MEMORABLE STAY"”
Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was recognised & greeted as a hotel guest immediately right at the front desk reception on my first step walking into the hotel. The hotel's check-in & check-out services were speedy & efficient. The hotel is nicely refurbished, specialy i like the hotel bar and restaurant. The design is one of a kind, very cozy & unique. The hotel room is of good size, clean & well-equipped; I particularly enjoyed the good food and breakfast lot! The excellent free wi-fi internet service in the hotel must be mentioned! All hotel staff including front desk receptionist rebecca, Brains Hearle Chef & restaurant staff were polite & helpful. The location is excellent -- yet on a quiet street but very very close to all networking towns. The Leeds centre is so close which takes you about 15-min drive to get there, the restaurant is extravagant for a single & romantic for a couple! I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel & i have booked executive suite with the hotel on my departure for september. look farword to seeing all staff again in september.

Room Tip: The new wing of hotel has very comfirtable executive suites.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Richard1281

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed at the alder house hotel with family in July. Hotel was fine, could do with a bit of updating in some parts but room was clean and we had a good night sleep. The staff were very accommodating and were always polite and friendly but it seemed that there was lack of management in the hotel and some staff showed lack of training so service was often very slow.
I would probably stay here again as it was a convenient location, but if you are wanting to get out and about quickly you may want to warn them so you arent delayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank bridge1
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We had the great misfortune to stay at this appalling, badly run, filthy and truly disturbing hotel.

We arrived at 11am and as we were off to a football match the staff said we could either pay to check in early or leave our bags which would be kept securely in a locked room. We decided to leave our bags and as we left were a little disturbed that the police arrived to deal with a break in in the carpark.

When we tried to check in later that evening we were greeted by the assistant manager, Kay, who has what can only be described as a rudimentary understanding of the English language.

He was unable to find our bags, as the 'locked' office had been left open and had no room booking for us. He then asked us to pay for a room in advance on credit card, but as the hotel does not have card facilities, he wanted to ring a friend at another hotel and give him our card details. We refused to do so.

We then played a game of 'find the bags' which consisted of Kay taking us on a tour of the hotel with a selection of keys trying to find out bags. He eventually found our bags in a twin room with somebody elses luggage. At this point, we thought we could at least get some sleep.

However, we were then shown to our room which had an unmade bed, complete with hairy, dirty sheets, a faulty light fitting that gave small electric shocks and a toilet in which the previous guest had left us a thoughtful gift!!

At this point, I went back to reception to see the manager. Kay advised the manager left some time ago and had only stayed a week. Kay couldn't quite grasp that as there was no manager, his proudly displayed job title of assitant manager was a little inaccurate.

Kay also advised that the day reception had only been with the hotel for a week, as the previous reception staff had all walked out.

Whilst waiting for Kay to find another room, two local girls entered the hotel, proceeded straight to the bar where they stole various alcoholic drinks before walking straight back out of the hotel, only stopping to ask us to promise not to say anything. Little did the girls know, that they had had a lucky escape as moments later the police arrived (one of 3 overnight police visits) looking for rooms for people who had lost their council housing.

We finally got into our room, and whilst the sheets were torn, they were at least clean and matched the torn wallpaper and torn chair. I'd like to think this was some form of design however it wasn't to our taste!

During the night we were awoken twice more by the aformentioned police visits as well as the random shouts of arguing rehoused families and the sounds of Zoe and Chloe clearly enjoying themselves with, we think, a few men!!

Having had one or two hours sleep we decided to check out, however in keeping with the rest of the service, there was nobody available to speak to or check us out.

All in all the very worst overnight experience we have encountered anywhere within the UK.

• Stayed: May 2011
6  Thank Elleharty
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I stayed in this hotel whilst attending a meeting in leeds the staff could not do enough for me i found the rooms clean and beds comfortable the food in the restaurant was excellent infact the second chef mark cooked me a curry that was excellent. The staff really try to go the extra mile in this hotel and everyone tries their best to make all the guests welcome and i found the staff excellentr and very helpfull . i feel some of the other reviews carried out by some people are grossly unfair and i suggest these people get a life. My experience of this hotel was excellent and i would reccomend this hotel to all, GO and try it youll be glad you did WELL DONE TO ALL THE STAFF THAT LOOKED AFTER ME THEY WERE EXCELLENT

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank happywandererDublin
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Stayed at this hotel as we were visiting family for a celebration, I wish we had pitched a tent !

The hotel looks like Fawlty Towers and the Asian lads did not have a clue. (Although they seem to be the only ones there) The grounds are beautiful and it seem the money is spent out there. The breakfast was greasy and looked like a truckers cafe style - thrown on ! Don't worry about the noise coming from the Kitchen we heard everything the chef had to say... sorry shout about !

We spoke to the new manager Dave Glendon who seemed to know what he was doing and treated us very well. He explained that the hotel was undergoing many changes and that many changes were to the rooms, service and products. . . Good luck to him !

Whilst at the reception I witnessed a young man checking in with 3 small children, although I was not "earwigging" I overheard that they were from the emergency housing and that the hotel has many such people staying, I understand they need somewhere but I felt uncomfortable.

I have never before been to a hotel where I am asked to pay BEFORE I get the keys and also some Indian chap asked if we could pay by cash. . . very unusual.

Unfortunately I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone until the new manager gets the changes done including the terrible TV's - Antiques Road-show eat your heart out !

From booking to checkout I had trouble understanding the receptionist boys. Beautiful location extremely poor hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scotty187046
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I had read the reviews on here - I even phoned the hotel up to ask them why some reviews were so bad - they persuaded me things had chnaged and so I booked with the provison that if it was bad - I would leave.
The rooms are fine and serviceable and clean.
The hotel very clean and clearly they are redecorating.
Breakfast good - big and quick - tea great.
Staff could not have been more attentive and helpful.
Very quiet location

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank hattieboosdad
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Dirty hotel with staff who struggle to speak English, say the hotel manager arguing with a contractor telling him he wouldn't pay his bill.would recommend you keep well clear.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank Unhappyleeds2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Ramada Wakefield
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Village Hotel Leeds South
Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!