“Beware the Yorkshire Pudding !”
Review of Fox & Hounds

Fox & Hounds
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Bramhope
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fox & Hounds is a welcoming village pub, built in 1728. Home cooked food is served 11.30Am-8.15Pm Mon -Sat & 11.30Am-6.45Pm Sun. There is a lovely beer garden at the rear of the pub. Quiz night is each Tuesday evening. The Loft can be found at the rear of the property and this is open at 10am Mon-Sat from & 11am on Sun (from 1st May - 30th September), otherwise it is 11.00Am Mon - Sat & 12pm Sundays serving a selection of hot drinks , cakes etc.
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had lunch in the Loft Saturday and two of us ordered the Yorkshire Pudding filled with Black Sheep gravy and sausages. Whilst the sausages and gravy were plentiful the pudding was well done and cold so we asked the waitress to send them back and they returned a minute or two later much hotter but much more burnt. We mentioned this to the lady who brought them up from the pub downstairs and her words were "they are home made". Those puddings had been in the oven far too long.

2  Thank JanWestYorkshire

Reviewed January 29, 2014

You'd expect 1pm on a wet Tuesday lunchtime in January to be fairly quiet, even at this well known pub. So to find when we walked in we had the place completely to ourselves except for the staff was quite a surprise.

I took my Mum after a shopping expedition. She was on crutches following an operation and had to be careful on the slippery cobbles outside, so it was lovely that the chef himself opened the door for us and we made our way to a corner seat.

I was hoping for a real fire, but had to make do with an empty fireplace (save for some fairy lights in the grate).

Mum went for Rabbit Pie, mash and veg and I chose the Rogun Josh with boiled rice and Nan bread, both from the specials menu which strangely didn't show any prices. Always a warning sign I find.

Mum thought her pie was tasty and it was nice to see rabbit on the menu as it's quite rare these days, possibly due to the cost of it according to the landlady who served us. She asked me how my curry had been and I told her it was good but could have been spicier, to which she agreed. It was nice to be asked my opinion.

To wash it down Mum had an orange juice and I had a half of Leeds Pale Ale which was well kept and refreshing.

Our single course was £9.70 each and the bill came to £25.70. A bit steep and possibly why the place was empty?

A few miles down the road in Otley, The Rose and Crown on Bondgate would have been busier and cheaper with bigger portions.

I popped my head into The Loft Bar upstairs which is gaining a reputation as a good coffee/meeting location with its comfy sofas and warm, contemporary design. Made a mental note to return here.

Pub closures continue at an alarming rate in the UK and publicans are finding consistently good food well priced is often the only way to keep the tills ringing. The Fox and Hounds is part of the Punch Taverns group and is a famous Inn locally. I hope will always be there - but longevity is no guaranteed of survival.

4  Thank Martin A
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went for a coffee an ordered a cake on a quiet Thursday morning. There were only four customers all seated and talking having had their coffee. We ordered a coffee and a hot chocolate and a piece of cake. Twenty- five minutes later the drinks arrived and no cake even after an hour.The waitress appears to have no clue but was busy singing to herself, In the end we did not get the cake, this on a quiet day, I dread to think what happens when it is busy. Avoid if you need prompt service.

6  Thank BramDoc
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Well, what an awful experience.

Food massively overpriced and inedable, beer tastes like copper coins and to top it off we have had to listen to the owner carry on with a member of staff who was lovely. I have never seen somebody belittled and humiliated like that, and infront of customers too.

I will never be back again and advise the same to everyone. A disgrace of a pub.

7  Thank madaboutale
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic. Family gathering in the upstairsroom called The Loft. A great venue that's just right for family and friends to get together. The food was excellent. All in all a really good night.

1  Thank David W
BeverleyTheOwner, Owner at Fox & Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Apologies for not replying sooner, I seem to have missed the notification informing you had posted a review. I was really pleased to hear that you had enjoyed yourself in "The Loft" with your family. It is proving to be a very welcome addition to the original building and I am glad you found it just right for your family celebration. My late husband and myself wanted to create a room which would be suitable for many occasions whether large or small. We were aiming to create a relaxed, informal place to meet and I am delighted you seem to agree. Thanks again for your kind comments.