“Beware of Britannia”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bramhope
Monaco
“Beware of Britannia”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beware of the seemingly fraudulent practice of Britannia Hotels. Last week central reservations sold me a 2-night package at this hotel. I accepted the offer of bed, breakfast, dinner with wine at the cost of £.55.00 per night. I was further offered airport transfer at the cost of £3 per way and duly accepted. My credit card was accordingly debited with the total.
However, the hotel did not recognize two elements of this package. I was told I could only have a glass of wine if I produced a voucher (I didn't have one) and therefore had to pay for it. I also had to pay £.12.95 for airport transfer on top of the £.6.00 already paid to Britannia as the telecab firm had no record of a booking in my name. When I complained about this on arrival the receptionist said she would sort it out for the return journey. This was not the case. No-one sorted out this administrative mess and furthermore the taxi driver told me it was a fairly frequent occurrence. On returning home I complained to central reservations and was told to contact the hotel directly. I then sent a fax to the manager and have not even had the courtesy of a reply.
As regards the hotel itself, it certainly is cheap but badly run. The room (414) had a very badly stained carpet, the curtain was hanging down, a dead bluebottle on the windowsill, filthy windows and the heated towel rail in the bathroom had been removed. However, the most unacceptable feature of this hotel apart from taking money for services not rendered is the food. It is truly disgraceful. Such a shame because the hotel is so convenient for the airport and the staff were friendly and helpful. Thankfully there are other hotels in the vicinity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan D
GM-Britannia-LBAH, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Susan D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I note that you have sent a fax to the hotel with regards to the problems with the charges to your card. If you would be so good as to forward this fax or email me with details to 0113 2843451 or james.whitaker@britanniahotels.com then I will look into all the matters raised.

James Whitaker
Front of House Manager (On behalf of Britannia LBAH Management)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I had to spend the night here before an early morning flight. The room was more or less okay (quality of the TV picture quite bad, internet slow, but otherwise okay). I would, however, strongly advise against using the restaurant. Appetizers consisted of soup that looked awful and smelled worse, stale rolls and half-frozen pate and some salads that I felt no urge to try. I abandoned my roll after the first two mouthfulls and ventured to the carvery. One glance at the roast leg of pork made my heart sink - it looked not so much dry as dessicated. On the assumption that woman cannot live on air alone, I tried some anyway (have to say that the cook in charge of the carving was very nice) together with what was billed as chicken in breadcrumbs but what I could've sworn was cardboard with cardboard crumbs, slathered in an artificial cream-laden sauce. The roast potatoes and veg were the same as everything else - overcooked, dry and entirely tasteless. I didn't try any of the desserts (going back to the same thing expecting a different result is the definition of insanity). What struck me was how carefully the waiters avoided asking me if 'everything had been all right' or if I'd 'enjoyed my dinner'. Adding insult to injury, I had to go back to my room to get my wallet because, for some reason, although I presented my room card and card wallet (with number and stamp) apparently they couldn't charge the dinner to the room. Something to do with the stamp being the wrong color, I take it.
All in all, this is not an experience to be repeated. Should I have to, I'll bring a sarnie.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM-Britannia-LBAH, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear MSS1066,

Thank you for taking the time to provde feedback of your recent stay. I am sorry you had problems with the quality of food in our restaurant, we will discuss these issues with the Chefs to investigate why the meal you experienced was substandard. Our staff usually ask during your meal if everything was ok and our waiter who recalls your discussion with him assures me you were asked during the meal but did not provide any feedback until you had returned from your room.

Unfortunatley if an account is not open on the room the team would have been unable to charge any meals to it, this is advised by our reception team on arrival and with signage on the front desk, and in the guest information in the room.

Thank you again and I hope this has not deterred you from using Britannia Hotels again.

(On behalf of Britannia Leeds Bradford Management)

Travelers are raving about these Bramhope hotels

sheffield
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Seemed like a good idea when flying early from leeds bradford but would rather get up early next time.We had a triple room and the single mattress needed throwing out have seen better at the side of the road.The receptionist was unfriendly and asked for all the booking in details even though this had been arranged on line.She could learn a thing or two from the lovely hotel staff we had in rome.The car park is not secure so pot luck if your car is still there when you get back.The only positive thing was the omlette so cogratulations to the kitchen staff for this.Try somewhere else if you can.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry that there were aspects of your stay you did not enjoy. We do unfortunatley have to take certain details from guests on arrival if the booking was made through a third party website as these are not always passed onto ourselves. Our car park is floodlit and CCTV covered, and there are regular patrols through the day and night, we have not had any issues in relation to vehicles in our car park for numerous years. Our housekeepers are looking into the comments made about the mattress in your room to ensure this is changed.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kinross
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My company is based at Leeds Bradford Airport and as such I have had the dubious pleasure of many many nights in this hotel over the years.

It used to be a Ramada Jarvis, then a Holiday Inn and now a Brittania. It would appear that rather than renovate the hotel they just sell it to a worse hotel chain each time.

The receptionists are generally not friendly and you are always made to feel like a bit of an inconevience. They say "hello" and "you're welcome" and other such friendly things but they couldn't be less sincere if they tried.

The rooms are ok although vary significantly (despite not being a different price) depending on what floor you get. Try to get floor five if possible, its the newest standard. The hotel is used extensively for coach trips and for a the last few years I have never been in the hotel without at least one coach on the carpark, usually a few. As such it can have a quite an elderly feel with the kind of entertainment you'd expect for that age group. Expect bingo so loud you can feel it through reverberate through your body so those who left their hearing aids in the room can hear aswell. I even found a used catheter bag in my hotel room once. The cleanliness of rooms is one of the biggest complaints myself and my colleagues have.

I see that on the last review the reviewer thought that the restaurant had run out of plates for breakfast due to a coach trip and were using side plates. I assure you, those are the plates they always use for breakfast. It's hard to believe unless you see them. One of my colleauges recently couldn't find a clean plate and when he asked if he could have a clean one he was told "they are clean, they've just come out of the dishwasher" when he pointed out that they were actually still not clean he was refused anything else. In the end he just walked into the kitchen himself and washed a plate, much to the chef's annoyance.

The carvery quality is hard to describe accurately. Just imagine school dinners/hospital food. It doesn't look great, isn't presented well and tastes of less than you thought possible. It is not good, no question about that.

All in all, not good. If you just need a bed before a killer early flight then fine. However, if you have any interest in enjoying this part of your trip, don't bother. It's not even that close to the airport!

Room Tip: Top floor, but not the very ends if you want wifi signal.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Brittania Leeds Bradford Airport hotel last week, on a Monday to Friday coach holiday with JustGo holidays. JustGo often use Brittania Hotels, and we were very surprised and pleased with the very high standard of this one. The location is excellent, in a country park setting with a drive leading down to the hotel entrance.

Our room was on the lower ground floor, but as the hotel was built on a hill, our room, number 120, wasn't in the basement as expected but overlooked an open field. The room wasnt huge, but plenty big enough, and was clean, warm, nicely decorated and well furnished. Unusual for a 'budget' hotel, it had a small fridge, an ironing board and iron, and hairdryer.

It also has a safe, which I thought would be very useful to lock away my lap top when we were out for the day. However, when I asked at reception for the combination I was told the room safes have been disconnected, but I could leave my lap top in reception when we went out.
The only slight fault we could find with our room was the old style TV which didnt seem to have all the Freeview channels and the picture wasnt that great, but wasn't a big deal.

All the staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the chef, always smiling and chatty. The food was buffet service, not always piping hot I must admit, but varied and plentiful. A very good selection at breakfast, including cereals, fruit, yogurt, cold meats, croissants, and full English cooked breakfast, as much as you wanted. Oh yes, a few moans and groans that the toaster was slow, but then you'll always get people complaining about little unimportant things, even at the very reasonable price we paid for the holiday.

We were also concerned that being an airport hotel we would be disturbed by planes taking off and landing nearby, but in fact I believe the airport was about 4 miles away, and to be honest we didnt see one aeroplane all the time we were there!

We often have holidays with JustGo, staying in various Brittania Hotels, and this one was definitely the best so far!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jandJWinterton
Dear Mr and Mrs Winterton,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to hear you enjoy your stay, We try to make the hotel as comfortable as possible for all our guests, whether they be group travellers like yourself, or corporate guests working nearby.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again to explore the rest of what Yorkshire has to offer!

Lancashire, UK
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here the night before flying from Leeds Bradford Airport. The hotel is a little dated but was warm, welcoming and comfortable. There were 2 coach parties in so felt crowded in the public areas. Thebedrooms were comfortable and reasonably sized. The bathroom was fine and the shower quite powerful. However, the TV was ancient with very limited choice of channels and the wifi was very slow and unreliable. We didn't use the spa though it looked quite nice. We did see that it costs about £10 each to use it.

Parking was easy with plenty of free spaces. You arrange your return taxi with the hotel and pay them. It's £6 return per passenger. Taxis are available at 20 minute intervals and tak about 5-10 minutes to get to the airport. You are given a return ticket which you take to the on airport taxi office when you return and the taxi is there waiting for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

I am pleased to see you took advantage of our stay and fly package and found it benificial before your recent break. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed overnight on the Valentines special. The room was a good size, nice, clean and warm.

The food was ok and plentiful but the breakfast next morning was served on small side plates,possibly due to the fact that a large coach party had just been in for breakfast before us and the dinner sized plates had run out but the choice was quite good.
We arrived at 7pm sat evening due to work commitments so we did not have time to use the swimming pool but it looked excellent. The staff were very pleasant at all times even though it was extremely busy in the bar and food areas.
Yes the place is looking a bit fatigued ( the floor in the restaurant especially) but we didn't pay top dollar so we couldn't expect every thing to be pristine. The atmosphere was very good and we we certainly return

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFergussons
Dear TheFurgussons,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on Trip Advisor, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our Valentines Package.

(On behalf of Britannia Leeds Bradford Management)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bramhope
Mercure Leeds Parkway
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#29 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport? Share your experiences!