“Disappointed”
Review of The Miners Arms

The Miners Arms
Ranked #6 of 25 Restaurants in Plympton
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Miners Arms. A family friendly 17th century pub and restaurant situated in Hemerdon village, Plympton. A freehouse open all day serving the best in local food and real ales. The Miners Arms gives you the perfect moorland pub setting with fabulous views looking out over Plymouth Sound. So why not stop by for a visit if you’re looking for pubs in plympton? We offer delicious food, a friendly atmosphere and real ales – it’s a great choice to start or finish your day.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having eaten at The Miners on and off for several years I was hugely disappointed with the food today. It wasn't so bad to warrant a complaint however if it had been my first experience I wouldn't be in a hurry to return. I opted for the beetroot risotto which turned up optimistically pinky/purple but had no taste of beetroot whatsoever and was simply a mediocre blandness. The saving grace was the front of house who are always pleasant and friendly.

There are newer reviews for The Miners Arms

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I only rang on the Tuesday of the week before to check availability and was surprised they had a table available. As soon as we arrived the service was very good we enjoyed the break in between you did not feel rushed, the service was excellent and the food was fantastic enjoyed the whole experience.

1  Thank DEBBIE R
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have eaten here on a semi- regular basis for the past 2 years. We have never had to complain before. As we always visit with family I had never actually booked a table before. I was not impressed when I tried to book a table for 6 for my birthday - 2 weeks in advance. The member of staff was very abrupt (bordering rudeness) on the phone and it took a while to book a table as he was also speaking to somebody else at the same time. I did suggest to my daughter that we went elsewhere but we decided against this as the food is always great! We arrived early, made ourselves known (including the fact that we were a table for 6) and had a drink in the bar. As we were shown to our table I pointed out that it was set for only 5. Not a huge problem but not a good sign either! It was soon rectified.
The service was appalling. I had to leave the table to ask the waitress for drinks and we waited nearly an hour for our main course - despite the fact that we all ordered the Sunday roast. As the restaurant was not particularly busy we could not understand what the problem was. The food was as delicious as always but once again there was a very long wait for our desserts.
Unfortunately, we were surrounded by screaming babies - 5 in total on 3 sides of us. This did not help matters. There were plenty of empty tables further away - why were we not given one of these? Such a shame the service let this pub down as we have always had wonderful food. I doubt if we will ever return on a Sunday lunchtime again

2  Thank deputy2014
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for a valentine's special lunch. Location is great, lovely log fire, friendly staff and locals, menu impressive. We ate in the bar area as we were with our dog. It's a really cute traditional pub, has a cute wishing well and beams etc. Idyllic.

The food was of excellent presentation, really fancy which we loved. The taste of the food gorgeous. The only problem we had was the food was quite cold and not at all hot which was a real shame as it looked so good and the flavours were right.

Chef needs to either warm the plates or spend less time on presentation as cold food is not good.

The other thing is that the log fire smell was a little overpowering at times. We over heard there is a problem with the chimney so hopefully this gets rectified soon. The smoke was coming into the bar instead of up the chimney.

All in all a lovely meal. We will return again to give it a 2nd chance.

If the food is hot next time we will make it a regular place to dine. It has all the pickings of a fantastic place to eat and drink.

We look forward to returning and trying out the extensive menu.

The restaurant at the back looks lovely. Nice views in the summer.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Another great meal at the Miners Arms! Perfect service without being pushy and in your face. Always there when needed and only too happy to please. Great choice of meals from simple favorites to more exotic fancies. Very reasonably priced for fresh cooked quality food. Great venue for a mid week treat or any occasion. Child friendly and with a great park for nicer days. A must try for yourself!