All reviews new carpet full english lovely weekend plenty of parking bed was very comfortable devon ensuite
Reviewed August 15, 2018

This was the first time I have stayed at The Smithaleigh and it was only for one night on business.

My first impressions were good, an older building that had been modernised with plenty of parking.

I did not get to the premises till about 6.45pm and there was someone waiting for me to book in and get me settled in which I appreciated.

The business is classified as a B & B so I was not expecting any meals bar breakfast but the person greeting me asked if I was staying for breakfast which I confirmed and mentioned I would be down early. What a nice surprise the next morning when the chef had pre-prepared my breakfast as he knew I would be wanting to leave early.

However to their credit they recommend local eateries that were very good and I enjoyed a meal at one of them.

The only downside to the stay was the creakiness of the floors but I put this down to the fact that it was an old building but perhaps there could be more insulation to muffle the sound.

The location is in the middle of the countryside, just outside Plymton, so anyone staying for any length of time would need transport and be prepared to venture out for food every night.

I thought there could have been a lounge area with perhaps an honesty bar to sit in meet other guests and relax somewhere else than the room.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank jgrahamm56
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

The out side looks ok. When you go under the entrance it goes down hill building rubble.
I had a downstairs room. Which fit some reason really smelled, not sure if it was damp or just old. The whole feel of the room was tired and in loved.
Sorry I won't be going back

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
3  Thank Darren F
Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

I rang to make a reservation in October 2017 for a 2 night stay at the Smithaleigh in July 2018 as we were advised hotels in the area become pricier nearer the time and I needed a double room for a two night stay for a nearby country wedding. During the phone call I also stated that I would be advising several of my friends to stay at the same hotel. The owner of course seemed delighted that I was bringing him more custom. I also offered to pay for the room there and then but was assured everything would be okay and that early payment was unnecessary. I was not told to look out for any emails and was certainly not told I needed to respond to any emails in order to confirm my stay. Today I received an email stating that as my room had not been confirmed I would not be able to stay in the hotel despite recieving no reminder email and no courtesy call since October, 2017. Despite accepting the custom of several couples I directed to them, they now claim to have overbooked and have no free room for me because I did not reply to the very unclear "confirmation" email sent to me after I thought I had confirmed the booking over the phone...in October 2017! Furthermore, a friend of mine was offered a courtesy call prior to their room being offered out again, I was not.

This is just not good enough as now hotels in the area are around the £200 per night mark and they haven't left me much time to find anywhere else.

This has caused unnecessary stress due to a very impersonal service. I did not receive an adequate apology either and was just referred to the email I was not advised to look out for which could easily have ended up in my junk mail.

I cannot speak of the amenities at the hotel but they have a less than desirable bookings/cancellation procedure which I suggest should be revised to avoid upsetting any other customers.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
5  Thank hefinaceri
Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here with 2 other friends . We booked the newly renovated self catering apartment . The accommodation itself was faultless : modern , spotlessly clean, spacious , well equipped , comfortable beds and sofas , ample parking and well situated .

On this basis I would ordinarily give the review 5/5 however the only but major flaw is the inadequate soundproofing between this gorgeous apartment and the rooms above ..... both mornings those of us staying in the twin bedroom were rudely awoken at 6am by the guests above. They were not being overly noisy just walking about ..... the fact that we could hear the alarm go off highlights just how flimsy the soundproofing is . I’m sure had a mouse scampered over the floor above we would have heard it ....

The manager mentioned that they were looking to renovate the rooms above us . If the management decide to do so I would highly recommend they invest in adequate soundproofing between the floors .

Sadly an enjoyable stay marred by being rudely awoken very early on both mornings.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2018

Stayed at The Smithaleigh for the weekend while attending a function in the area. Thought the two bedroomed apartment was lovely and excellent for young family with a child. Beautifully decorated and warm on a very cold weekend. Had everything we needed and would happily stay there again. We understand more apartments are being made at The Smithaleigh and it is in an ideal position near to Plymouth and lovely surrounding area.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank Jill F
Donna A, Owner at The Smithaleigh, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2018

Thank you very much for your review. It is nice to know all our hard work in refurbishing our accommodation is paying off. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards