“Clean and basic”

The Smithaleigh Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Plympton
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights, I was visiting family in Plympton.

Considering I was spending all day in Plympton and not heading back to the hotel until late at night, it was very good for loaction. Just two juntions away (5 min drive) on the A38 from my familiy and literally right on the turn off.

I was given Room 3 twin room in what looked like a stable block. The room was spotlessly clean, with tea and coffee facilities, tv and wardrobes etc.. The bathroom was your basic white bathroom, the shower was strong and hot, so no complaints. The room was a bit tired and the furnishings were a bit old fashioned, but did the job!

I had breakfast both days, full english the first day, which came out quick and it was nice and fresh and hot. The second day I had the continental option and I found it just as filling as the full english the day before.

It didn't seem like a busy hotel, could be why the room was a bit tired. I think most people wishing to stay in Plympton tend to stay in the Premiere Inn which is what I have done in the past. However, as the pennies were short this month, this hotel was fine for a budget subsitute.

Overall, this hotel was very clean and has everything you need for a quick weekend; comfortable bed and hot shower. But it could to with a little TLC and a bit of updating in the guest rooms.

Would I stay here again? ... For what I needed, somewhere to crash whilst visiting my family, yes I would. But I don't think I would stay here for a nice long weekend break away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tpcb_hot

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We eat in the restaurant every couple of months, as an opportunity to bring our family together. The food is first rate and the service very attentive. The staff are really friendly and know us well. They are very accommodating and flexible. The menu is clear and varied - something for everyone. Nothing is too much trouble. A really great dining experience - thank you.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AndrewDeacon
Clive H, General Manager at The Smithaleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your very kind review. It is always so nice when people take the time to let us know how much they enjoyed their experience of the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights recently. A very attractive hotel built round a courtyard with flower borders and places to sit, Our ground floor room opened onto the courtyard and was quite spacious with plenty of storage space. The restaurant was very good with an a la carte menu plus specials.
The staff, Clive, Tom and Linda were friendly and helpful
The hotel is in an ideal location for Plymouth and South Devon. Although just off the A38 it is sufficiently far away not to hear any traffic
All in all a great place to syay

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope that we have the pleasure of your company in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked in for one night after attending a wedding nearby.
We were put up in a tidy, spacious family room with a double, en-suite and separate room with a bunk bed.
No complaints. Staff were friendly and well presented. Full Devon breakfast was fresh and superb. Reception and dining area were warm and homely with a modern hotel feel. Plenty of parking.
We were worried about the noise from traffic on the A38, but couldn't hear it at all from our bedroom on the far side of the hotel overlooking fields and hills.
Also very impressed at the price for the night, this hotel offered us a very comfortable stay.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Clive H, General Manager at The Smithaleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us while attending a wedding function nearby.

We do pride ourselves on our breakfast as all ingredients are fresh and sourced locally and pleased you enjoyed it enough to mention it in your review.

We do hope that you will visit us again when you next visit friends or family in the area.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Good food, excellent service, enjoyed by all the family. Value for money. Nothing too much trouble. Catered for the two little ones extremely well. High chairs in place and provided us with extra plates so they could share a meal.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bizzyDevon

We were pleased that you enjoyed the “Father’s Day” lunch with us and would like to thank you for the praise you have given us for the food and excellent service.

Family gatherings are always welcome and we consider it a pleasure in providing the best possible service and help in making your visit with us a pleasurable one.

We look forward to you visiting us again very soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Sure it could use some TLC in places but much of it oozes character,it could be updated sympathetically i'm sure but nevertheless it was very comfortable, the service was excellent and the full Devon breakfast is to die for !!!! All in all a great place to stay if you are visiting either Dartmoor Zoological Park (10 mins) or Plymouth (10 mins) We would definitely use again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor K

Thank you for your review and kind comments in regard to the character, food and comfort of the hotel.

Set around an old courtyard The Smithaleigh hotel does hold a certain charm and character. Surrounded by the beautiful Devon countryside we are conveniently located for Plymouth, Devon and the South Hams area making us ideal as a holiday location.

There is a recognised continuous improvement plan in maintaining the hotel in line with its charm and character.

We do hope we can have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here because it was the venue for a family wake. The staff are very friendly and the food at the wake was very good. Most of the family stayed for dinner and although simple fayre, it was very tasty. Breakfast in the morning, not included, but very tasty. Just found it a bit strange that when I asked for toast I was told that it was on the plate - yes it was with the egg sitting on it - So I asked for extra toast to have with my marmalade! With the cost of breakfast I think one slice of toast is not sufficient! Also I hate warm milk so I did not have any cereal as the jug of milk looked like it had been sitting out on the buffet for a while.

The bedroom was nicely furnished and very warm, despite being May it was cool so it was good that the heating was still on! The bathroom needs a bit of work - shower hose was covered in black mould and mould in the shower and rust on the fittings. One light was working and was a different fitting from the other so wasn't sure whether the one not working was an original and replaced with the one working but not removed.

Despite being right next to a busy road I did not hear the traffic.

Room Tip: I stayed in the wing to the side of the main building and this was further from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We were pleased that you stayed with us for your family wake and would like to thank you for your kind comments on the staff and food.

I must apologise about your experience with the toast on the plate and have taken on board your comments. Toast is now served separately in a toast rack with all breakfasts to be enjoyed as part of the breakfast or separately with any jam or marmalade which can be a popular choice.

Also, your comments on the bathroom have been noted and housekeeping staff advised. The additional light fitting in the bathroom had been overlooked and has now been removed.

I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plympton
Future Inn Plymouth
Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
#12 of 21 in Plymouth
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to The Smithaleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!