“Fantastic Day” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Plympton
Devon
“Fantastic Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We held our daughters wedding at the smithaleigh and what a fantastic day
From the very beginning clive and his team were always helpful nothing was to much trouble and I am very fussy ! On the day we arrived to a warm welcome and everything looked amazing the room is big we had 76 guests and plenty of room around tables nobody squashed . The food is amazing awesome, in fact excellent value for three courses pate is homemade the tarragon sauce on the chicken was so lovely the lemon possett and shortbread biscuit i could go on and on and then coffee and mints after. I didnt have to worry about anything on the day it all flowed excellent. We had so many guests ring us and thank us for a fantastic day they loved the venue being able to sit outside until after midnight in a lovely setting . We also stayed the night and the breakfast was good big choice. If anyone is thinking of having a wedding at the smithaleigh please ignore previous comments as they must have been in a different hotel ! Would like to say a big thank you to clive and all the staff for making the day for us

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue4057
CliveH34, General Manager at The Smithaleigh Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to look after your wedding party and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your special day. We pride our self on excellent food and customer service. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

we live near here and thought we would pop in for lunch. There was a warm welcome form the bar staff and the reception / bar area had a nice ambience. The interior is modern and the seating looks out over the patio and gardens. Service was prompt, I had the curry of the day, which was lovely.Food reasonably priced at £10 for a curry, rice and nan bread. After our lunch we had a drink on the patio whilst sitting in the sunshine, all in all a very pleasant experience. We shall be going back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I was so pleased to read your recent review and thank you for your kind comments. We hope you will give us the pleasure of serving you again soon.
Polegate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We attended a christening at the weekend. the room was a lovely size, very clean, and a brilliant bathroom with double shower. The colour scheme was lovely and followed through to the immaculate bathroom.
The food was good and the service and staff was excellent, very pleasant and willing to help and chat.
All in all a lovely weekend..nothing was too much trouble

Room Tip: rooms in the farmhouse are very quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pauline f
reading, berks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst in Devon for a family celebration. Hotel is close to the A38 and easy to access, with plenty of car parking and little road noise. The reception welcome was good. I had a twin room for one person which cost £62 per night - rather expensive for this hotel, I thought.

The room was clean, small and would feel claustrophobic if there were 2 people in there. Both of the beds had very soft, lumpy mattresses. A family member staying in another room reported that he discovered why he kept rolling to one side of the bed - the side was broken!

The bathroom was also very small, with a shower cubicle that showed signs of mould and needed to be replaced. Water pressure in the shower was OK but the washbasin was small and the taps at the wrong angle - every time you turned the tap on you had a shower of water around your middle.

The walls are very thin and I was woken quite early by the person in the room next door turning on light switches and moving around the bedroom - the floors really creak! No Saturday morning lie in for me!

Breakfast, which was at extra cost, was poor really. The coffee was weak, the cold (cereals only) choice was poor and the cooked breakfast just about adequate, although freshly cooked.

I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend to friends or family.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank annensteve
Tavistock, Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were looking for a bite to eat after a visit to Buckfastleigh and went to the Smithaleigh on a friend's recommendation. The restaurant food is excellent and I do not understand some of the comments made. I was told that the restaurant has undergone a major refurbishment early in 2012 and has a new chef so the comments may not apply to this new crew.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SensibleChap
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Having read the previous review I feel that I need to put pen to paper. I have had Sunday lunch at The Smithaleigh for the last few years as do many other local people and cannot agree that the food is bland, it is always very varied and the local meats they use very tasty. The Sunday in question I was there on my usual table and the restaurant and bar was very busy and I believe they had a wedding going on at the same time and my lunch was up to its usual standard and certainly not "BLAND". The staff are always friendly and very efficient and I look forward to my Sunday lunch each week.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ted02
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Decided to visit the restaurant as it is just down the road from where we live for sunday lunch on Fathers Day. Had read the reviews which seemed to give a postitive impression and were looking forward to it. However we all found the food to be very bland. My son started with the soup which he was not very impressed with. My husband had a sort of pork pate, which he said had absolutely no taste to it and it was a very odd consistency. I went for the starter of a goats cheese (which I absolutely love) with salad and beetroot. I would however have to say that I would have questioned if in fact it was goats cheese as it did not have the texture or taste of goats cheese and was more like cheddar or similar hard cheese, and was very disappointed. My husband and I chose the roast beef, which was okay, nothing special and again very bland, with the gravy looking and tasting like instant gravy granules. My son had the chicken, who again said it was bland and it did not come with any stuffing or cranberry sauce, which to me is standard with roast chicken. As we were underwhelmed with the starters and main courses, we decided not to bother with dessert. Had we enjoyed the meal, we would have gone there again, as it is very local to us, but I am afraid that we will not be going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CliveH34, Manager at The Smithaleigh Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
The negative comments from this reviewer in no way reflect the overwhelming success of that day being Father's Day at The Smithaleigh. I personally received several compliments from customers who were dining in the restaurant during this relatively busy lunchtime period. As in addition to the food served in our restaurant, we also hosted a rather large function in The Cavendish Suite. Again, I received nothing but praise for the quality of food served, which incidentally included a selection of roast meals. As a business, we constantly strive to improve the quality and style of food we offer; always using fresh ingredients that are predominately sourced from within the local area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plympton
Future Inn Plymouth
#17 of 21 in Plymouth
Invicta Hotel
Invicta Hotel
#3 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to The Smithaleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!