“Food better this time”

Ranked #21 of 26 Restaurants in Plympton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part of the JDWetherspoon Pub chain, Located in the heart of Plympton. Best Bar None - Overall, Winner 2017. Best Bar None - Best Casual Dining, Winner 2017. Best Bar None - Best Pub, Runner-Up 2017. Best Bar None - Best Pub, Winner 2016.
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We visited The Stannary on a Saturday late afternoon. There is such a lovely beer garden so we headed there to get some sun!!
We have been many times now and always order the same beef gourmet burger. On previous visits there has always been something that wasn't quite the best. Normally not enough blue cheese sauce and not always hot enough. This time plenty of the cheese sauce even though on previous occasions have been told it is always measured out. Maybe this rule has changed! ! A better amount of lovely hot chips too. The only thing missing which we didn't have last time also was the pot of relish. Maybe it has been removed! ! The only problem this time was the poor bar service. One particular barmaid just couldn't get any of our drinks correct and was quite clumsy on one occasion. I won't go into details but hopefully she was new and will improve! I hope the food standards stay high as it is a great local for us with a pleasant ambience inside and out.

stannarymanager, Manager at The Stannary Court, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear tjgfitness,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad to hear you love our beer garden.
It is correct that all of our dishes are served at a certain portion size, as is standard across the industry, neverless, I'm sorry that you felt the portions were not quite right the last few visits.
I was happy to hear there were no issues on your most recent visit. Wetherspoons has decided to stop serving relish with burgers, but here at the Stannary, we'd have no issues offering you a portion of salsa on request.

We have recruited new bar staff recently so this may be the reason we didn't provide the high level of service you normally expect from us. I apologise for this.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Have been here a couple of times and on both occasions the food has been very good, served up quickly and with a smile.A previous poster said this Spoons lacks atmoshere , I disagree as it fits perfectly with Plympton. My recommendation is pick a sunny day and use the garden at the rear, a very pleasant space. Recommended

stannarymanager, Manager at The Stannary Court, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Hi Ron,

I'm really happy to hear that you love our food and our friendly service. Although we do not play music, I do think we serve up a good atmosphere, good conversation and friendly company is often what makes a warm pub in my opinion.
Our garden is stunning and I've enjoyed our cider festival over the past couple of weeks in the garden myself. As Autumn draws closer, we will be lighting the fire and serving up seasonal soups to get you warmed up!

Best Wishes

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I found this place by accident after eating meals in the one in Strattford upon avon where we found very good quality food. When we returned to Plymouth we found that one in Plympton wasowned by the same company and to our delight when we had a meal there it was done to the same high quality.I do not like all this nouvell quisine rubbish and so an realy delighted to have found somewhere that just serves good old fashioned grub as well some of the other foods

Hi nmg1953,

I'm really glad to hear that you have enjoyed your recent visit to the Stannary Court. Our quality is consistent around the country and we do have over 900 pubs.

We have over 30 boutique hotels located around the country, including the West Midlands so next time you're on your travels, please check us out.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

So this is the sixth visit to The Stannary Court in Plympton Plymouth.
This was my wife's choice to have a birthday breakfast, well they have still not got their deliveries sorted after being open for around 8 months.
Today the wife wanted 'Eggs Benedict' but they had no Ham, so the 'Breakfast' looked like a good alternative. Well we thought anyway, but alas, this time there were no 'Tomatoes'.
I personally have given up on the place now, in my six visits I have not once been able to have my first choice to eat and my second choice always has something missing.
I has become the last place to eat at one for me and my family.

The only plus side is the staff are friendly and helpful, the place is spotless and the beer always tip top.
If I had to mark it out of 10 it would come in at a 3 and that's only because of the staff.

1  Thank Nigel B
stannarymanager, Manager at The Stannary Court, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Nigel B

I am extremely sorry to hear of your bad experience with us on your last visit. We try hard to get our deliveries correct but unfortunalty on some days we sell more than others and this cannot be helped. We were however on the day of your visit replacing the ham for bacon and the tomato for mushroom.

Thank you for your kind words towards our staff and the cleanliness of the pub. I'm also glad that our selection of beers are to your liking. We change them regularly and welcome any suggestions on new ones we may be able to order In.

I hope that you visit again and have a more successful visit.

My sincere apologies.

Katie

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

What you would expect of this chain of pubs. Good service at the bar and nice decor as this is a fairly new pub. Didn't eat on this occasion but food looked tasty and usual fair. Pleasant atmosphere and good prices. Double gin and tonic for £3.50. Will come again.

Dear Jimboplymouthuk

Thanks for you kind review of our pub. We are all glad you enjoyed your visit.

Also, I'll let you into a little secret.... It's £3.29 for a double gin. Saving yourself 21p!! Bargain!

Katie