2,077 results
All reviews fudge hot tub gallery restaurant royal suite courtyard room four poster welcome drink main building beautiful hotel steeped in history sublime sunday on arrival birthday treat turn down service coffee machine wedding party little touches
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We attended a private party for a special 70th birthday celebration at this old manor house. The grounds were beautiful and the lounge was well-appointed. Menu was pre-selected as to the wishes of the attendees, including appetizer, main course and dessert. The main courses available were pan-fried Brixham Sea Bass, crispy Potato Gnochi with mild mushrooms, or Filet of Devon Prime, along with a choice of appetizers (I had lobster ravioli) and dessert of raspberry mousse, chocolate Indulgence or a selection 5 artisan cheeses! All food options were perfectly cooked, served with great sides and were excellent! The service was excellent. This was a very expensive meal for the hosts, who were even charged for the “use of the room”, in addition to all the food, wine, pre-dinner drinks, etc. I am told is standard in the UK. It was a very special and wonderful experience!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I will break this down to good then bad.
GOOD: The hotel is beautifully situated away from the hustle and bustle of normal life. Upon arrival, my wife's parents paid for us to stay for 2 nights, DB&B. Reception where fabulous, glass of alcohol free wine to relax you, nice touch. One of the ladies goes through everything with you so that you know that there are no hidden charges and you are happy with what you have paid for. The rooms are a little smaller than I was expecting, nonetheless, very nice, however there was no opening window in the en-suite, not a biggy. The bar area is amazing and I will state now that the entire bar staff where absolutely brilliant and a credit to the hotel, special mention to Liam Thompson, Bar Manager, a true gentleman. The staff are very knowledgeable and very friendly. They even took an idea for a Gin, Roku gin, we hope to see it upon our return. All the staff from the reception to the spa to the bar were a credit to the hotel.
BAD: As you will have read from other peoples feedback, the one thing most people are complaining about is the restaurant, the over priced food and extortionate alcohol prices. I totally agree with all of it. The surcharge on any drink is ridiculous and not necessary. The food in the Brasserie is bland, tasteless and overpriced. My wife and I asked for the Chateaubriand, cooked medium rare. It came out very rare and as tough as old boots, not what you expect for a fillet. The potato wedges had been cooking for about 2 months. When asked if we had enjoyed it, we had to be honest and tell them. They explained that they had new chefs in the kitchen and apologized. It seems to be that the kitchen is what is letting the hotel down, and if you have 5 stars you want a Michelin star in your kitchen, unfortunately if they keep serving up food like that, its never going to happen.
OVERALL: Lots of positives from our stay but the management of the kitchen has seriously got be addressed as this seems to be letting the hotel down. Also, please lift the surcharge on alcohol as £20.63 for 2 pints of lager and a G&T is extortionate.
Would we come back, yes, but only if the hotel look at the feedback they are given and address the problems.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jay B
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

One of my favourite places to go. The building itself is stunning and the food excellent. The Staff couldn’t be more helpful. My family and I had a wonderful evening and are looking forward to going back there again.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank itsurmother
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel had the hallmarks you associate with a 5 star hotel - valet parking, bags taken to rooms, welcome drinks, turn down service and goody bag when you check out.

The room was small but well appointed. The bed was very hard (and I like a hard mattress) so we didn’t sleep well. There was a pigeon nesting outside the bathroom window, which watched you whilst you showered - no issue for us, but worth checking if you don’t like birds.

The hotel itself is an impressive and historical building. Well worth having a drink in the old hall. Top tip - if the barman offers you a cocktail from the secret menu, go for it. I don’t want to spoil the surprise but it is well worth it!

The service isn’t quite up to 5 star level. The staff are pleasant but breakfast was a frustrating affair as we had to ask repeatedly to be seated, to have our order taken, for our coffee etc. The breakfast itself was tasty but it mars the experience when the service isn’t good.

The spa was impressive - it’s only a couple of years old with a good range of facilities included. Particularly liked the outside hydro pool and the choice of saunas.

The price was excellent for what was included and I would happily return. The service was closer to 4 stars but the price easily pushed it into 5.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We booked a very last minute stay at Boringdon Hall last weekend and had truly wonderful stay. The staff were welcoming and very helpful, going out of their way to provide a great service. The building is stunning, and the best part, the pool and spa facilities, absolutely amazing. Breakfast was delicious. Our evening meal was not quite as good as we'd expected, however having read other reviews I believe there was a new chef at the weekend and I am sure these are just a few teething problems, and certainly did not stop us enjoying our stay at all. We will be back!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel