“Superb”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Took four people here for lunch today, to celebrate my birthday. Two of us are disabled. They were very accommodating and the meal was superb. The set meal (with two choices for each course) was £20 per head. No sneaky extras. Beautiful presentation, though the restaurant itself is fairly modest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My partner took me here for my birthday last week (3 July) and the food was fantastic. We went for the 8 course taster menu and there was not one thing on any plate that we did not want to finish. To summarise the meal - black pudding scotch egg, seared scallops, pigeon wellington, pork crackling covered turbot, rack of lamb, taste of wimbeldon (to die for!), caramel digestive and banana parfait, trebys gone carrots (this was also fabulous, but by this stage of the meal we were really bursting).

The only criticism I would say is some waiting staff are a bit better than others, the taster menu was bespoke so we didn't know what was coming next. One of the waitresses was fantastic, explaining everything on the plate (some items were not obvious!) and another simply stated the main component and left us to figure the rest out. A minor criticism though, I would not hesitate to go back there again.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After watching Preofessional MasterChef last year, I was determined to find a reaon to visit the Treby Arms and try Anton's food. The three course Sunday lunch was amazing value at £20, I started with a black pudding Scotch egg, delicious, followed by one of the best plates of roast beef ever, perfectly pink and a generous portion, served with a fantastic selection of fresh vegetables, apparently they are grown by Anton's father, and roast potatoes, accompanied by home grown horseradish, I finished with sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb ice cream. Service was friendly and efficient. No wonder that the place is packed and you have to book well ahead. Anton came out and passed a little time with us; he deserves his success, which has clearly not gone to his head or affected his sensible prices.

1  Thank lordofthepieslondon
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A party of 9 we traveled from Bantham on the coast to track down the The Treby Arms which just shows how a decent chef can bring so much to a small community. They have done a wonderful job with what I guess was a run down village pub and it was buzzing with diners and attentive staff when we visited. The set menu didn't live up to the delights of the a la carte and the likes of a 'taste of Wimbledon' (it was a pudding if you were wondering and much more than strawberries and cream). If there is something you don't recognise on the plate do ask, I would never have worked out that the pepper like dust on the plate was actually charcoaled malt vinegar. If I had one complaint it was all too salty, which just shows how little we use at home. Would recommend you go for the quirky and be surprised and delighted.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The food cannot be criticised. It was perfection. Quirky touches and beautiful presentation. The actual place is just a pub. Not my kind of venue but on a sunny day was fine. The car park needs TLC and my sports' car could not get up the slope with its huge potholes without taking out the bottom, so gave it a miss and parked in a street nearby. Overall an excellent place for the food. If you like Devon countryside then this is also a prime example of a country pub, including the Devon lanes to get there!