“Does the job”

Stansted Lodge Aspen
Ranked #1 of 1 Elsenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed here twice as I needed a place to spend the night before an early flight from Stansted.
The Stansted lodge did the job for a very good price.
The Lodge is nothing special but comfortable and clean and run by a very friendly Polish lady.
Only downside is that its quite noisy so you here other guests talking, calling quickly

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 29, 2011

I only stayed for a short night (arriving in Stansted late at night, with another flight next morning) and it was very good for what I needed. They were extra careful about silence, making sure everyone respects other guests' hours.
Bigger room then I expected (for a single), clean and confortable bathroom (might be a bit complicated if everyone leaves at the same time, but there was no problem for me). The breakfast is totally self-service, with a good selection, allowing even for making a sandwich and taking an apple on the plane.
I consider it quite good, good quality for price - since UK's transports are quite expensive and I didn't feel like sleeping in the airport, this is a good option. The village looked nice, but I didn't have time to explore...
The bed / mattress needs to be reformed soon - it's quite noisy ;)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Arrived alone on a night flight and had a plane to catch early the next morning, so decided to stay here, seeing that the reviews were good, they had airport shuttle service, and it was cheap for a solo traveller. Tried booking on their website but the website booking page did not load. Called them up instead and had a MAJOR communication breakdown with the owners. Told them I intended to stay one night on the 20th and she said "28th? okay no problem", so I repeated myself many times, saying 20th in so many ways, making sure she marked it down as a Tuesday night, and she just brushed it off and said it was all fine. Tried calling again on the 20th to confirm my booking and no one picked up. Someone called back about an hour later but the line broke off and she did not bothered phoning back again. I tried calling again and they just kept on saying they were busy and asked me to phone back later. When I got to Stansted, I called for my transport, and they said they had me booked down on the 23rd instead of the 20th and they will try to sort things out and pick me up in half an hour. Almost 20 minutes past and I was waiting alone at the deserted car park for the pick up, and I decided to call them back, to which they just said in a very laidback fashion that there were no rooms so they are not coming to pick me up. No apologies until I started raising my voice on the phone, and no alternatives were offered. They were not even bothered to phone me back once they found out what a blunder they have made. For people in the hospitality business, they were very unfriendly, unhelpful, and uncourteous! Totally unacceptable. Overall, a terrible nightmare. Had to stay in Hilton for the night which obviously costed me a bomb, but had no other choice, even after conferring with the info desk in Stansted. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE A PHONE RESERVATION FOR THIS B&B AND IF POSSIBLE, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank C W
Reviewed September 20, 2011

the people here were fantastic, i had a slight disaster ,leaving my handbag with everything in, in the car thet had just dropped us off! long story, but i was able to use the phone and try and sort things out..all was sorted the next morning(a bit of a sleepless night ) and my son and i were able to continue our trip to london near enough on schedule...it would have been much harder to sort out in any other hotel im sure. the rooms were warm and cosy . help yourself breakfast ,everything left in fridge and on the side for you.very handy for the airport and train . good to know of this place .

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2011

i stay in avalon with some of my family ,polish women which worked at the time when we stay was really helpfull n lovely .
nice and big garden , kitchen nice and clean what i can't say about the room i mean the bed , linen wasn't change for sure, room wasn't smell really nice and fresh.
around is just one shop with cashpoint inside but at the time was out of order. no more cash mashine around.
only one pub where we went for dinner and was really expensive plus lady behind the bar was drunk and took her about 20 min to sort my bill out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We were put in the separate 'villa' room at Aspens which was amazing - a newly built little wooden cottage. It was very clean and cosy. There was also bread in the fridge for us, a bottle of juice and milk, fruit, and boxes of cereal for us to help ourselves to. Would definitely recommend staying in the villa but not sure about how nice it would be staying in the other rooms. Airport pickup took over 40 mins to arrive but pretty good to pay only 2 pounds for this service. Also got a free dropoff at 4am which we appreciated. Service while checking in was a bit slow though - and nearly got charged 4000 pounds rather than 40 for the night! Luckily credit card declined....

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed on the 21st May prior to flight from Stanstead. Great location only 10 minutes from Airport.
The breakfast was good and a lift to and from the airport was provided.
We were able to leave our car whilst we were away for a small charge.
The owners were very helpful and I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Stansted Lodge Aspen? Share your experiences!