“Eccentric and excellent!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Eccentric and excellent!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for only one night on our way to Stansted for an early morning flight. It was a very cheap booking and I wasn't expecting too much due to price, however.. Wow! The hotel grounds were lovely and based in a quiet location away from airport hustle and bustle and noise.. The room we stayed in was beautiful with lavish furnishings and very comfortable. We found ourselves wishing we'd gone earlier and extended our holiday! You can also leave your car at this hotel and they will shuttle you to and from the airport at a very good price, cheaper than the discounted airport parking we had paid.. The only down side was the restaurant where the food was expensive and mediocre with a very limited menu.. They really should get a chef and prepare fresh home cooked meals, It would make this hotel one of the best! The staff were very welcoming and friendly too.

Room Tip: We chose to book the annex but on arrival were upgraded to a room we had decided not to opt for when...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vivstrazz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Here is my review of the De Salis Hotel Stansted, I hope you find it helpful in making a decision as to whether or not to stay there.

I was going to give this hotel a moderate review as it was good value for money at £55 for a nights stay and 15 days parking, transfers to Stansted were £9 per person return but it still represented good value.

On arrival the hotel looks nice in it's own grounds and it is 10 minutes from the airport. Check-in was quick and easy and all rooms are on the ground floor. There is a restaurant and a bar with the usual options fr food and drink, we did try the restaurant for an evening meal and to be honest it was average but expensive. Parking is on-site so none of the move car to off-site parking and get a bus.

Our room on initial impression seemed ok and it was of a good size, the bed was comfortable and generally the room was clean, although the bathroom door stuck badly and my wife struggled to close it. I would at this point bring up a couple of issues the first regarding safety. The bathroom has an electric (oil) towel rail, now I don't know if it worked or not but the power cord went through a hole in the wall tile and I could easily pull it out to reveal the connection to the 220 mains supply. From my understanding ALL electrical appliances in a bathroom should be connected by a fused spur and connected to the mains via this spur not just a drilled hole in the wall and no fastening?

The second issue I would highlight is the shower. It was one of these cubicle things with a radio multiple water jets etc. I could not get it to work and had to resort to calling down to reception for help (a first for me not being able to work a shower). On arrival it took the chap ten minutes to figure it out so I did not feel to thick in the end! Here is the point though, it's was useless and turning the water temp down took a massive amount of force to turn the control and even then it was still very hot. Also the multi jets were encrusted in mould and lime-scale and once in the shower the water struggled to drain the reason for this became apparent when I lifted the “plug” and found Lilliput and Gulliver were living down there, it was FILTHY and I mean FILTHY, so much so that my wife refused to use it preferring to wash over the sink.

Our transfers went ok the next morning so for the price the stay was acceptable and at this point I was prepared to give it an average rating except the following happened.

On our return I called the hotel as instructed but we were then delayed at customs so when we got to the collection point the transfer was not there. So I rang the hotel and received a “lecture” for not being at the pick-up point by the receptionist, a good start but it gets better (in an ironic way not a good way). On arrival at the hotel I went to reception to collect my car keys as you have to leave them behind in-case they need to move your car. To cut a long story short they had lost my car keys.

Much scurrying about then ensued, eventually after 45 minutes to 1 hour they came up with the following excuse. Somehow my car keys had been taken “off-site” to a secure location and had been left there by mistake and someone had been dispatched to collect them, but this would take about an hour. Considering we had a 250 mile journey ahead of us I was, as you can imagine, not a happy bunny by this point.

Now I can be at times gullible but I am not stupid as the car was still on-site? Now imagine my surprise when we entered a Star Trek time shift scenario and the dispatched person returned after 15 minutes with my keys? A half hearted apology was given with no explanation offered.

I had taken my odometer reading including a photograph when we left the car and imagine my surprise when it turned out my car had traveled 20 plus miles during it's 14 day stay at the De Salis hotel.

Well that’s our experience and I hope it helps, but as in all these things you will have to make up your own mind whether or not to stay here based on the cost compared to other airport hotels in the area.

Thanks for taking the time to read our review.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank peterobinmoore

Travelers are raving about these Elsenham hotels

Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here, one night before an early flight. Great value, fine room and fine restaurant too. Only problem is no wifi in bedrooms or phone reception either but then I suppose this gave me peace and quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Four guys off to Perpignan in France for a long weekend. What a great choice. Large two roomed accommodation complete with a jacuzzi in the very well pointed bathroom. Very peaceful surroundings and so we had a great nights sleep. The restaurant was more than adequate and the food of good quality and service excellent. Bar prices a little on the high side for four northern lads but we expected it, so no big deal. Hotel offers parking facilities and a shuttle service to the airport but we had already booked airport parking so can't comment on this service. Full English breakfast went down a treat and was cooked to order along with as much toast , cereal, yogurts etc. that you could eat. A great start to our trip and definitely happy to recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband booked us a night here as a surprise for our anniversary and my birthday. He chose this hotel as it was only half an hour from my mums and he thought it'd be nice to visit them on our way home. I was so chuffed with the surprise I looked the hotel up on the internet and was gutted to see all the negative reviews. It was with great trepidation that we arrived and entered the reception area. We were greeted by a friendly man who gave us our room key and directions to our room.
On entering our room we were delighted to find the room absolutely pristine. There was plenty of tea and coffee too. There was also a 40inch TV and our bathroom had a jacuzzi bath!!!
We had an amazing stay here and had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was lovely too. We were directed to a table by a friendly young man and invited to help ourselves to the food. There were croissants, pain au chocolat, cereals, yoghurts, a selection of fresh fruit, white and brown bread for toast, jams, honey, marmalade as well as scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausages. There was unlimited tea, coffee and orange juice too.
Walking back to our room to pack up the lady cleaning the rooms called out a cheery 'good morning' which also added to the great service.
I was really impressed with everything about this hotel and cannot understand all the negative reviews. My experience of the DeSalis Hotel was a totally positive one and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I only used this hotel to park my car for 5 nights and use their shuttle service. To begin with, I was sent an email quoting £36. When I actually booked it, they insisted it was £40 despite the email stating otherwise. I booked anyway as it was still cheaper than anywhere else. On arrival, there seemed to be confusion between the 2 men at reception as to organising my car ticket (raffle ticket) and the date I was due to return. Once this had been sorted, we were asked to wait until they were ready to take us to the airport (about 10 minutes). We were told to ring them for our return shuttle once we had collected our baggage and we would be collected within 15 minutes - simple! On our return, with baggage duly collected, I rang the hotel, and rang and rang........for 25 minutes and could not get an answer! Okay, it was 3.30am but they were fully aware of our return time. Eventually, someone answered and informed us we would be collected in 10 minutes (we waited another 25 minutes). During this wait, I tried ringing them again but got no reply. How can a hotel reception not answer the phone? Finally got picked up and transported back to the hotel. Handed in my raffle ticket and was given my car key. Umm, where is my car? Oh yes, just round the back there! Thanks for that info only I'm not a mind reader! Traipsed round the back and got my car. Would I use them again? Hell no, I'd sooner pay a bit extra and get proper service!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked to stay in this hotel the night before we were flying out to Northern Spain to visit my son who is working there. However, the day before we were due to leave, my mum became seriously ill resulting in my having to cancel my entire holiday (flights and hotel in Spain included).
Not seeing my son and cancelling our holiday was disappointing in itself, but I had no choice during a very stressful 24 hour period. I understand that it was short notice and that the small print included cancellation policies, but given the circumstances of my situation, the hotel in Spain refunded in full and I was able to defer my flights for up to 9 months. However, this hotel refused any form of refund. My mum passed away that night, and I feel the empathy shown by this hotel was appalling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ceri_lewis5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!