“OK if you need a room with free parking”
Review of DeSalis Hotel

DeSalis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked this hotel in September 2012 for one night with 15 days free parking in May 2013. Just to be sure a week prior to our trip I rang and asked them to confirm the booking. They said they had no record of me booking at all. I sent them the original e mail and got a response confirming booking.

When we arrived the man at reception was very friendly and helpful he checked us in and explained the facilities which include an Indian Restaurant, more about that later.

The room was large but quite basic with a mishmash of furnishings and colours. The bathroom is good size with shower but very cheap and limited amenities.

The bed was quite comfortable and considering we were next to an airport the sound proofing was reasonable.

We decided to go out to a nearby pub for a drink and return and dine in the Indian Restaurant. When we returned I ordered a couple of drinks and waited to be brought the menus. The young lady behind the bar ignored us for about 10 minutes so I went over and asked for menus which she handed me. We opened them to find a piece of paper with Pizza, fried chicken and pasta on it. I called over and asked for the Indian menu. She told me there was no Indian food tonight only the food she had shown me. I queried how an Indian restaurant which features on the hotel website and literature does not serve Indian food. She said the Indian chef had not turned up so only pizza etc from a microwave.

We declined this and returned to the pub down the road for a reasonable pub meal. There is very little around the hotel so it is fortunate that there was a pub a 5 minute drive away. If you did not have a car...hard luck!

We slept quite well and came down for the breakfast. The offering was really limited and very poor. A couple of scruffy oranges on a plate, some hard boiled eggs which, for some reason, had mayonnaise on them a few slices of bread and a toaster for do it yourself. The up side was a coffee machine which you could make a reasonable fresh coffee from.

We went to reception to arrange for the car parking and the same helpful man gave us instructions. Unfortunately a guest who has posted a review on here was engaged in a very heated argument with him over lack of transport from terminal which did not fill us with confidence.

The shuttle bus costs an additional £4.50 per person each way£18 round trip which is a little high.

On our return we phoned the hotel and were told the shuttle would be about 45 minutes which was accurate. We had left the car in a space at the back of the hotel and was surprised to be given a different lot number for location. I walked completely around the car park and the car was not in the location advised by reception or where we had left it. The receptionist came out with me and we eventually located it no where near the advised location. However he is apologetic and froendly.

Overall this hotel is adequate for one night stay prior to travel from Stansted and offers reasonable deals for accommodation and parking. I would not recommend a two week holiday here but I guess nobody would stay in this location for more than one or two nights.

Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Check in was quick. Room was very large... tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
Was noisy as could hear others checking in at 2am.
Left our car for the 7 days of our holiday and paid £18 extra for the transfer to the airport. Which was ok. Took 30 mins to get picked up on our return though.
We didnt eat at the restaurant as looked cold but would highly recommend the 3 Horseshoes pub less than a mile up the road. Great food and the landlord was so friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our room was quite spacious and comfortable, but not luxurious.It probably represented good value for the price, but service was quite poor. Once you leave the reception area, the decor is quite uninspirational. The evening restaurant has a comprehensive Asian menu - OK if you like curry etc. but there is no real alternative. The food was in fact very good, but the service was very slow, with little enthusiasm displayed by the waiter. The whole hotel had an early-morning wake-up call at 02.30 when the alarm went off for just long enough to wonder what it was. In the morning, many of our group did not have the benefit of hot water, as it had apparently "run out". We were part of a group of 20+ that had been pre-booked, and there were of course other guests. Breakfast service was even more sparse. Some of us gave up on the pre-paid option for a full English, before we finally saw a waiter. They just did not seem to have enough staff (or hot water) to cope with a modest number of guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Used the De Sallis park and ride service on three occasions recently (the perils of pre booking). On the first time we found the large burly driver both surly and uncommunicative. On the second occasion I had to, after fifteen minutes waiting for transport to the airport, remind reception staff that I was still waiting. Words were then exchanged between the reception staff and the driver as to why I had not been taken to the airport. That resulted in a flurry of words between the pair of them. Result was transport to the airport with one grumpy driver. The final occasion was simply the worst. On the return to UK I duly telephoned for collection. I was told there would be a fifteen minute delay. After twenty minutes I called to find out what was happening. I was told the driver had been to Stansted not once but twice and could not find us. I queried why I had not been phoned to say that the driver could not find me. I was informed it was my responsibility to find the driver. Since I had a friend with me I said that we could not both miss the De Sallis vehicle as the vehicles are clearly marked. The person at the De Sallis continued to insist that a vehicle had been sent up twice. That response was simply way off the mark, as to carry out two return trips within twenty minutes does not ring through and as well as that why would a driver be sent a second time if the first attempt was unsuccessful. Also it would have cost De Sallis £4.00 in parking entry fees. Notwithstanding that there was the matter of the original fifteen minute pick up delay.

Forty minutes after the first call I had to telephone again as still no transport. Eventually the minibus turned up. The driver said he'd just come on duty and had not been to the terminal since his start of shift. What was then surprising was that there were now two other groups of people wanting to return to the hotel. So it would appear to keep costs down the De Sallis' aim is to combine as many small groups as possible. It helps to minimise the £2.00 exit fees. However, our driver seemed to have forgotten the charge entirely as he had to stop near the exit to obtain change.

Back at the hotel I raised the issue of the poor level of service. Since the De Sallis drivers get a receipt each time they exit the car park I asked to see the receipts for the supposed 'lost journeys'. I was told that would not be possible. I asked what type of vehicle they had sent up. Images of some micro size vehicle came to mind. Once again that was not to be disclosed. So any spirit of openness or transparency was non existent.

In conclusion I would never consider using the hotel's facilities again be it parking or anything else.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Topxi
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A few weeks ago I parked my car in this hotel for a weekend but unfortunately I missed my flight and they didn't refund me the money having parked my car for less than an hour. Nothing. I asked them "I haven't got the service, at least you could only charge me the 50%" and the responsible said "Is not our responsibility if you have missed the flight, obviously we not refund you".

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank maria z
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It is a shame for me to give such a poor rating. The hotel itself is stunning and we were impressed with the size and quality of our room - his and her sinks in the bathroom - very posh and great value for money, yet it wouldn't of been good value for money if we had missed our flight!

We had informed the member of staff at reception when we checked in that we needed an early morning wake up call as our flight was very early. Did we get one? Oh no we didn't. Luckily my husband had woken up to use the bathroom during the early morning and noticed the time. We had approx 30 mins before the check in desk closed for our flight! We literally had to grab everything and run out that place straight into a taxi we had called. We were fortunate enough to make the airport in time but sadly the experience has left we very dubious of ever staying in a hotel the night before a flight again.
If we had missed the flight I'm sure the hotel would not have paid for the next flight out to our destination. The guy at reception could not have given two monkeys and told us that the wake up calls were automated! Well that is not our problem really , any decent hotel would ensure that the needs of the customer were met and that procedures were in place to make certain their guests were out of their room well before their flights. They had our flight details! The attitude of the staff member was totally appalling and there was no offer of a free transfer to compensate, especially as the mini bus was just about to leave when we were.

Never again - next time if I can be bothered to ever stay in another hotel before my flight, I will pay a little bit extra and stay at a reputable hotel. I was a bag of nerves in the taxi to the airport and could of just cried, it was not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Choccy13
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Big rooms and bathroom, but tired and quite basic. There is no similarity between the pictures and the real thing. No info in rooms about hotel or surrounding area. The door card system is very noisy and you hear more noise form people opening and closing room doors than you do form the planes. Could not get any internet access even in the lobby - and who wants to use their laptop in public areas whilst you have a room down the corridor. The man at reception was rude and dismissive when I asked about access codes to such an extent that I did not feel able to go and seek any help from him. The room was very warm and there were no controls on the radiator. When we went to reception to ask to have the heating turned off the lady just picked up a wrench and used that to adjust our radiator.
We ordered drinks to take to our rooms and was asked if we wanted to add them to the bill and we agreed. Later that night there was a knock on the door and we were asked to pay our bill even though we weren't checking out until the next morning. We had to decide the day before what type of breakfast we wanted and state what time, you couldn't decide on the day what you wanted and when you wanted it,
The food was nice but if you don't like Indian food there is very little else on the menu. The full English breakfast was OK, the sausages and bacon were obviously the cheapest available, but the Continental buffet was appalling - a few boiled eggs, some ham and some cheese. There was a croissant and some prepacked muffins as well but the whole thing looked dull and uninviting.
Most of the staff seemed nice enough but there didn't appear to be any organisation and you had to try and work out who were guests and who were staff.
We left with the feeling that return visits are not expected so it doesn't really matter if you are not happy with anything.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Hampton By Hilton London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Novotel London Stansted Airport
Novotel London Stansted Airport
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!