“Poor restaurant”
Review of DeSalis Hotel

DeSalis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I didn't stay in the hotel but had a meal at the restaurant. Service was OK, atmosphere was as good as a canteen, very few other customers (they were hotel residents). Indian food was bland and boring.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Firstly, we will probably come again as the rooms were surprisingly nice, the bed was VERY comfortable and the room spacious (double executive room). The bathroom was also pretty nice and the decor of the hotel nice. But there is a sting. The car park round the back is big enough and well enough lit, although the road to it was pretty hairy on the surface. We made two bookings for our party, both booked by the same person, but the staff couldn’t work that one out so just reserved one room! On the plus side, we did get the second room on upgrade to Jacuzzi (my girlfriend and I picked the non-Jacuzzi one, bad luck) so not bad. As I said, once into the rooms it was very nice and no complaints there (although the paint work on the wall was pretty shabby). The bar had a half decent supply of drinks, but the barman was pretty clueless and they had no change so we had to pay by card. We left at 5:30am to go to the airport, which given its location wasn’t exactly surprising. So we didn’t book the breakfast, but as we left we looked over and couldn’t see any ready, so just as well we didn’t waste our money. There was no quick checkout facility, and we ended up waiting 10 minutes for someone to be there so we could hand back out keys. Not a major thing, but it’s the third contact with staff, third bad experience with staff. So not exactly a glowing review, but the room was very nice and for £45 great value. We will go again, but we won’t be excited to do it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are MUCH quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We arrived early and no problems at all we were in the departure lounge within 15 mins after waiting for 10 mins in the wrm hotel lobby.

On arrival back we called as instructed and the pick up was already at the airport but full, so a short 10 min wait and our car was in the same place as we left it nice and secure and we were on our way home.

Fantastic value parking and we will be using it again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpencerNegus
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We booked the De Salis Hotel for the 24th January 2013 prior to our trip to Krakow, Poland.
We had booked for the 24th January 2013 and for the 27th January 2013 on our return which included for 4 nights car parking.
We paid in full for this on the 24th January by credit card and included shuttle bus to & from the airport.
However when we came back on the 27th January and checked in for the night we were asked to pay a further £49 for the room.
When we informed them we had paid, one of the staff said 'we had not and they had no record of our payment.
However after frantic searching we found the credit card slip and presented this to the staff who without apologizing gave us the room key!!!!! We would not book this Hotel again if they had no records despite our paying by credit card.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank William D
Reviewed January 20, 2013

If you require a room that is clean, comfortable and warm for a reasonable tarrif this is for you. If you need a airport hotel and arrive very late at night and need a meal this is not ideal. And if you do arrive late and want a late morning breakfast this also does not meet requirements. This is a standard hotel but on arriving after midnight and hungry we found the restaurant had closed at 10.00 p.m. and no food was available. I had taken the precaution of emailing on booking the room well in advance and requesting a plate of simple sandwiches to be left for us. No sandwiches, not even a couple of biscuits with the tea and coffee. There is no room service available for a breakfast to be left - breakfast finished at 9.30 a.m. The room was on the ground floor right in front of car parking and the curtains didn't draw across because they snagged on the rail. A chair had to be found for me (65) to stand on and unhinge them and then I barely reached it (being 4'11"). Not good. Staff not particularly friendly or helpful - I would even suggest untrained. The spare pillow had no pillowcase and seemed old and grey. No, I would definitely not choose to stay again.

Room Tip: I have no idea. Never stayed before and never will again
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
DesalisTeam, Manager at DeSalis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel with us and we are glad that generally you found the hotel pleasing but we are sorry to hear you found a few issues which I would like to address.

I am not sure how you were made aware that our restaurant closes at 22:00, the restaurant for the date in question closed at 23:30 which is our standard closing time for evening meals, I appreciate from your review you arrived after midnight and food was not being served, this is correct. We have always looked at how to best balance whether to keep a restaurant open or closing it late in the evening and unfortunately we compare ourselves with the practices of local hotels in the area, we find we are actually open later than most. I am sorry we could not fulfill your special request it is not always possible to accommodate.

With regards to breakfast we offer breakfast from 03:30am until 09:30am with check out of the rooms at 11:00, Room service breakfast is not available for the simple reason breakfast is served as a buffet style continental breakfast.

I am sorry to hear you are not interested in staying with us again, I would like to point out many of your faults you have found, ie with dinner and breakfast service would be issues if you were booking a four or five star hotel, however we are a three star, airport hotel and our facilities and prices to match. Whilst I can appreciate the facilities were not to your liking the facilities offered are what one would expect from three star accommodation, Good, Cheap, Clean accommodation.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked a car space at this hotel which turned out to be a muddy patch in a nearby wood.It looked as though my car had been dumped! Upon my return, my car was covered in bird poo.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank keith t
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As I missed my flight I had to stay overnight next to the Airport. This hotel is excellent. It's 24/7 shuttle bus goes every half hour (6 GBP). The room was okay, I had an excellent TV and a nice hot bath. Shower pressure is unsusually high for England. Very spacious room.

The lobby provides an Indian restaurant (kitchen open till 11 pm) and free WIFi. Try that at Radisson... This is a very good option.

Many travellers use the hotel car parking service too as it is good service and way chaper than the airport car parks.

I did not find the hotel noisy at all. My room was also nice and cosy.

My bus headed for the airport at 6am on time, my wake up call was on time as well. For the price one really gets value for money. Next time I miss my flight I will definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nethia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!