“Lunch date”

Dining options: Reservations
Corringham, United Kingdom
“Lunch date”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I grew up in Grays but had not been to Mumfords for years and years. A group of work and ex work colleagues decided to book a table and have a fish and chip lunch.The restaurant was virtually empty but nonetheless we made our own atmosphere.Knowing the reputation of Mumfords has been good for 50 years and more (since I was a boy!!) we looked forward to our lunch.
We were not disappointed.The food was fresh and hot and tasty.
Yes it was a bit pricey but that was not an issue as the food was of a high quality
I remember coming out of the cinema years ago going for a bag of chips and walking home. Visiting for a lunch evoked all those memories.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank taurean_traveller122

Suffolk, United Kingdom
“This is just the best!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Whenever I'm in striking distance of this fish and chip restaurant I just have to eat there. Living some 40 miles away and using the M25 a great deal I am drawn there lunchtimes or early evening. You cannot fault the food quality, high standard of cooking or quantity. You will pay more but as others have said 'You get what you pay for'. Not sure if they take credit cards though so take enough cash.

• Visited October 2012
grays essex
“Prior to seeing a show at the Thameside Theatre”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

A very popular establishment, always full in the restaurant. Best to book in advance as the queue to get in is lengthy. It can be a bit on the expensive side being about three times the price of fish and chips elseware.

south ockendon
“MMMMMmmmmm”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Fish n Chips are amazing! Very good value, and the best quality! Been there a long time, but the quality doesnt change!

Visited March 2012
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm not entirely sure how the previous reviewer received a bill of £43 for 3 cod & chips and 3 teas. When we have the same for two people in the restaurant, the bill is generally a whisker over £21. Judging by the quality of the review, I cannot help but wonder whether they meant £34 - which would not really unreasonable for 3 people.

The restaurant is attached to Mumford's takeaway fish and chips, and we do not buy fish and chips from anywhere else in Grays. Mumford's is consistently good quality, and over the 8 years I've been going there, most of the staff remain the same. Happy staff must mean a well run business in my opinion.

According to a recent newspaper article, Mumford's still make the daily run to Billingsgate, unlike many other fish & chip shops, who now have switched to frozen fish. They generally have a good selection of fish, and 80% of the time, I am able to get skate. Cod, haddock and plaice are also generally on, as is rock fish, though a little less often.

Mumford's do not use any yukky trans fats - they state the oil used next to the menu - I think it is groundnut oil - but cannot swear to that. Takeaway prices are, naturally, less than eat-in prices.

Mumford's do the usual range of fish and chip shop stuff - chicken, sausages, saveloys, picked eggs etc. And their chips are consistently good quality - none of the slimey yuk from lesser chippies.

• Visited July 2012