“Exceptionally welcoming B&B+++”

Hilden Lodge
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally welcoming B&B+++”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been staying at Hilden through the week for 6 months now and cannot rate the service I have experienced highly enough.

Wayne and Melissa are such friendly, welcoming hosts and have made my stay in Cheltenham so comfortable it has felt like home from home.

Having stayed here for such an extended period I have sampled almost all of the rooms in the place and they have all been very comfortable fitted with a shower or bath room, TV and DVD, tea and coffee facilities and modern decor. The beds are comfy and the room is always made up to a good standard with nice touches such as fresh towels folded into a design on the bed and extra biscuits provided.

Despite being on a fairly busy road it is quiet during the night and I haven't once been disturbed by other guests walking past rooms.

Even after all this time Wayne often goes out of his way to greet me at the door when I arrive and will always have a smile and joke to offer at breakfast.

The choice of food for breakfast is lovely and Melissa does a great job of freshly preparing all requests- even the occasional off menu request! There is also a decent choice of food in the evening again cooked to a great standard.

The Hilden has a relaxed atmosphere and welcomes couples, business people and families. There are car parking facilities out the front, and a fenced off garden and decking area. This makes it the perfect place for families with children or couples/singles looking to have a cold drink at the end of a long day.

It is walking distance from town and there are local shops and pubs nearby. It is also on the London Road making it a perfect base from which to explore Cheltenham, the historic Painswick and the Cotswolds.

I would definitely recommend making a trip to Hilden Lodge if you are looking for a comfortable, friendly, reasonably priced stay in a location that is much more than your average B&B.

Room Tip: Room numbers 4 & 5 are, in my opinion, the best with big windows letting in plenty of light, lov...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sasha w
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your recent review, you will be sadly missed when you leave us after your long time with us, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay, it was always a pleasure having a bit of fun with you at breakfast and you always had a smile.
Thank you again for the lovely review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Wayne & Melissa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
london
Reviewed September 4, 2013

i am sorry but i stayed in several 4 star hotels but this hotel was not 4 star. allthough the place looks perfectly painted and the service is great it is missing some fundament of 4 star hotel industry. no in room safe, no iron board, no hairdryer. room is clean but very small. flush in bathroom you can hear all night long and unfortunatleywe were on the first floor and had to hear all conversations from other guest in the bar. anyway will not be back

Wayne F, Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest

I am very sorry if you were misled by the booking site that you booked on, but we are not and cannot attempt to be a 4 star hotel. We offer 4 star guest accommodation which means a clean comfortable bedroom with ensuite facilities in a friendly environment and a home cooked full English breakfast, rather than a breakfast buffet. Our prices reflect this. We do not have in room safes. We are sorry that you did not find the hairdryer all our rooms have them in the draw. Ironing boards are available on request. Our bar closes around 10pm, we are sorry that you were disturbed before then.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stay for one night at Hilden Lodge in July 2013.we were greeted with a warmed welcome. The room is a bit small and bathroom but very clean to high standards.We ate at the hotel and food is good ,my starter was a delicious garlic mushroom,a thai curry to die for,and I ended up with a homemade cheesecake.the manager is to well helpful, and very friendly,we did not see the chef who made our good meal,as few guest are eating ...wish we saw her so we could asked the recipe for garlic mushrooms..anyway all and all we have a lovely ,comfortable stay and a good night sleep ,came down for breakfast with freshly prepare fruit plater ,selections of cereals and toast.the manager /owner is very attentive, and given us what we asked for extras....we will come again in november.we booked this Hotel and we looked at the reviews in different site so we did not disappoint ourselves really.
I saw another review on here and I think who ever it is ?he or she is looking for a 5 Star Hotel with 24 hour reception and a private butler...no offence... Not a quaint guest house
See you soon Hilden Lodge

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 621Sparky1009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely words, Melissa was really pleased wtih your comments about her food, we do hope you stay again with us in the future.
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed in Room 11, a double ensuite on the night of Thursday 22 Aug 2013. The pre-booking via LateRooms.com and the subsequent confirmation from the Hidden Lodge was very efficient. However, the levels of customer service from arrival to departure left a lot to be desired. Wayne [--], one of the Managers, opened the front door to me but didn't seem very welcoming...there was no 'Good evening' or 'may I help you with your luggage'. He just confirmed my name, asked me to sign a form and showed me to my room. The room, although quite small, was comfortable but many of the surfaces, including the light bulbs, had significant layers of dust on them. The 2 single mini-biscuits (not packs of 3 but a single biscuit) were a poor offering, in my opinion, bearing in mind the room rack rate of around £90 per night (immaterial that I got a promo rate of £55 as would have expected more, even for that price). I had previously requested upon booking for provision of fresh, instead of UHT, semi-skimmed milk for medical reasons. Wayne promptly brought this to my room on request but when I smelt and tasted it, it had a sour and tainted taste. When I politely mentioned to this to Wayne whilst perusing the dinner menu there was no apology or offer to replace it at all, just a very abrupt 'well, no one else has said anything' comment. On the subject of dinner, although my choice of Gammon, Chips and Peas was hot and quite tasty, I had to wait nearly 10 mins before anyone came to greet me at the bar/restaurant, despite having said on arrival that I'd like to sit down for about 7.15 which Wayne seemed happy with. Yes, there was a 'seek attention' bell on the bar but, as I was the only one in the restaurant at that time, I think it would've been nice to have been greeted once I arrived there. At the end of the meal when the table was cleared there was no 'was everything ok for you' request, just an invitation to have dessert.

The next morning, despite having previously requested fresh milk for my room for my wake-up morning tea, this was not forthcoming. I went along for breakfast, having read a very attractive menu in the room, looking forward to some fresh strawberries and pineapple....only to find the buffet selection had tired and brown looking pineapple chunks, unappetising strawberries and under-ripe green bananas. I helped myself to cereal and returned to my table. Wayne came to the table to take my hot food, tea and toast order promptly but when I politely asked for a refill of my milk jug he was, yet again, acutely lacking in friendliness and enthusiasm and said 'Ok, but there's milk round there (pointing to the cereal/fruit table) that you could have helped yourself to'....not the sort of response I would have expected from an establishment which supposedly prides itself on excellent customer service! The hot food was of a reasonable standard apart from a pink sausage (but, according to a management response to an earlier post, this is typical of Old Gloucester Spot sausages?). There was no invitation to a replenishment of tea or toast nor, again, an enquiry of 'was everything ok for you?'.

Checking out was fairly swift as I only had my dinner and drinks to pay for but, yet again, no enquiry as to whether everything was ok with my stay, no offer of help with luggage and no 'have a safe journey and hope to see you again soon'. In fact, after settling up after breakfast and then returning to my room to have a shower and gather my things, I was simply left to leave my key in a basket and there was no one from Hilden Lodge to be seen anywhere! I would further add that my room was conveniently close both to the reception and dining areas so would have certainly expected to have seen more of Wayne...perhaps not Melissa as I understand that she is the chef so would've been busy with breakfast.

Overall, a lovely establishment on paper...but a real disappointment in practice....a positive management response will be gratefully anticipated and, hopefully, received.

• Stayed August 2013
Wayne F, Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We pride ourselves on our customer service so we were extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed. So many other reviewers have commented on our friendly, helpful, warm and attentive service, that it is very distressing when we fail to hit the mark. There are only two of us to manage our 12 bedrooms and cook the breakfasts and evening meals so we cannot always be on hand to greet guests at the bar and to see them when they leave, which is why we have the seek attention bell. You have made some nice comments about our services. As a manager I do take any and all comments seriously, however I would differ with your statement that I don’t welcome every one when they arrive as I try to greet everybody warmly when they arrive, and we did have, what I thought, was a friendly conversation when I welcomed you into your room. Apologies about the milk, I thought you said it was sweet, so my fault entirely there. Speaking to other guests that stayed on that day, they said our fruits were fresh as we are very keen to make sure they are fresh. Again we are very sorry that you were disappointed and would try to make amends if you wished to stay with us again.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed one night at the Hilden Lodge in August (2013). The communication prior to arrival was excellent. The room was clean and cosy, with a nice ensuite. The member of staff we met, was friendly and very efficient. Breakfast was also delicious, and just what was needed before we ventured back to the racecourse for a very wet festival. Would recommend this to anyone, and would certainly come again if visiting the racecourse as it's very close by car.

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments, we also enjoyed your stay with us, at least it was better weather this year, than the floods of last year, hope to see you again next year.
N wales
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Would stay here again. Arrived a little late. A great welcome. We were shown our room it was spotless, to a high standard. We asked if the restaurant was open and the proprietors assured us it was no trouble to make us a meal. This was of a high standard. The bed was comfortable and the lodge was quiet which enhanced a good night's rest before continuing our journey. Would stay again if in the area in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad we were able to help you with food when you arrived, Melissa is always pleased to help as we both are. We look forward to your stay again in the near future.
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I spent the last two nights at Hilden Lodge and departed with memories of a well-run hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean and comfortable room and ensuite, and the most delicious food at both dinner and breakfast. We would be delighted to return should we ever wish to visit Cheltenham again in the future.

Dear Guest,
We are so pleased with your recent review, which we have passed to our housekeeper, and Melissa is also pleased with your comment about meals and breakfast, we do hope you an stay again, and thank you again so much.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlton Kings
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
London Inn
London Inn
#3 of 6 in Charlton Kings

Been to Hilden Lodge? Share your experiences!