“A Charming Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Didmarton B&B and Inns
New York
“A Charming Stay”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

We almost didn't book here because of some of the other not so favorable reviews, but I'm so glad we decided to give it a try.

First off, our room was fantastic. Fabulous furniture, comfortable bed, vaulted ceilings, claw foot tub. It was well appointed, clean, and did not disappoint. The decor at the Inn and restaurant was so charming and beautiful that I'll be copying a few things at home.

Mark and the bartender were extremely friendly and accommodating, dinner was delicious, service impeccable and the atmosphere was inviting and cozy (Spoof the adorable house pup was definitely a perk). It was a perfect stopover on our trip, and definitely the most affordable part!!

Some of the negative reviews may be from locals looking for something comparable to other local pubs, which didn't feel as refined or high end in my opinion. As for the rooms being dingy or unkept, I was worried but did not find that in any form. Everything was crisp and clean and spotless. Then again I'm not searching for imperfections, I'm looking for a wonderful experience, which is what I got here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Niquienique

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed May 24, 2014

When you are asked how you'd like your burger cooked, it can go one of two ways. At this place you end up with a fantastic, juicy burger using local produce and cooked to perfection. We will return! New landlord really friendly and obviously doing a grand job.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Our recent stay in the three bedroom self catering cottage at The Kings Arms could have been very pleasant had the cottage been well maintained and properly cleaned. Instead, the cottage had an air of neglect about it with a low standard of cleanliness and a smell of damp, lots of blown light bulbs, an absence of bedside lights in the main bedroom so that the only lights switched off near the door, shower thermostats which were broken resulting in blistering hot water even at the lowest temperature setting, a kitchen fan with a broken bearing and an oven encrusted with grease.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2014SJO
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was in Bristol on business and rather than stay in the usual travelodge style place I did a little google search and found The Kings Arms in Didmarton.

The welcome was genuine and the staff were all very open and friendly. I had the smal single room, which though small was very well equipped and decorated. Classy touches such as a towelling robe, decent tea and coffee (a real cafetierre) making facilities and quirky period furniture really set the room apart. The decor was not remotely old fashioned and the wall mural was especially cool!

In the bar, the atmosphere mathced the look and feel. Both were warm and modern! The only old thing was the funky little dog snoozing on a seat.

I enjoyed a few pints of superb condition Bath Gem Ale and the food was comparable. The menu was not vast (and I am always suspicious of menus that are as most often that means pre made food or food that has been hanging around) and well balanced. Local produce and seasonal variety was in evidence as was more 'unusual' cuts of meat and fish. I started with pigeon and local black pudding with a pickled homemade slaw. It was very well cooked and the pigeon especially tender and pink. I followed this with Megrim and new potatoes. Megrim is a great flatfish the French and Spanish love but is hardly seen in the UK...it was perfectly cooked and was served on the bone too which is best as this keeps the fish moist. The dill butter worked a treat too. I spoke with the chef as he popped into the bar to see if all was ok and he was both informed and commited to local produce and lesser known products, hence the Megrim.

My breakfast the following morning was also very good, local produce with dry cured bacon, decent sausage and real bread for the toast, not the damn Mothers Pride rubbish usually proffered!

A great find and my only dissapointment is the fact I don't go to Bristol more.

A few reviewers have commented on the costs, but good honest food, responsibly sourced and with sound provenance is never 'cheap'. Cheap Food comes at a price...!!

Highly Recommended

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stopped here for Sunday Lunch as it looked a lovely pub from the exterior. The interior of the pub was lovely, and we were given a warm welcome on arrival and throughout our visit. Our Sunday lunches were nice with massive yorkshire pud sand fresh veg, but at £14 each, we had 2 pieces of meat on each plate. My roast beef was nice, but slightly chewy around the outside. The 2 slices were thin, and only rare in the very middle. Again, for £14 I'd expect melt in the mouth rib of roast beef which proclaimed to be from a local source. This didn't quite hit the mark. Drinks were very pricey and a large glass of white wine was nearly £7. Yes, we did enjoy our visit and our food, but I think the prices are at the top end for a village pub and I don't think the portion size or meat quality matches. We would have left a small tip, as the service we received was good. However, upon getting the bill, I noticed a 10% sc had been added on. I'm sure there is some small print somewhere to mention this, but I certainly never noticed it. I've given 3 stars, which is a good. Not fantastic, but not bad either! As mentioned, the service was very good, and I was very grateful for the free glass of wine due to it being my birthday!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We have recently returned back home to Manchester after a 2 night stay at the KA, from the moment we set foot into the bar to check in we were greeted with friendly, polite staff. Our room was excellent and was across the car park in a barn conversion and we had the top floor. The food in the evening and breakfast were excellent. We were made to feel very welcome and were given some good advise involving our travel plans. If we are in the Cotswolds again we will be definitely returning - hope spoof enjoyed his photo shoot !!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the barn conversion rooms
3 Thank Carol W
Bristol
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Booked a birthday meal here but fell quite a bit short of expectations.

Arrived and waited to be seated by the entrance area to the restaurant section for a good 5 minutes. Despite only one table taken in the restaurant the waitress continued to walk passed and ignore us. We then went to the bar and said we have a booking for 19.30 only to be told they had no bookings listed. When we told them we had booked online and received a confirmation from their website we were told ‘oh yeah that system doesn’t work very well’! Luckily, as already mentioned, there was only one other table taken so we were able to get a table. The food itself was actually very nice – albeit a limited menu, and whilst the service was…. Okay, the staff didn’t really go out of their way to ensure things were to our liking. Not once were we asked if we wanted extra drinks so ended up having to go to the bar ourselves due to a lack of visibility of the staff. Now if the place was busy or that was the policy like some other restaurants then I’d be fine with that but this wasn’t the case. The staff seemed to be more bar staff than restaurant staff!

On the whole, whilst the food was nice, the general service was lacking so wouldn’t return.

1 Thank arry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Didmarton
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
The Old Bell Hotel
The Old Bell Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malmesbury
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club

Been to The King's Arms? Share your experiences!