“Lodge feeling”

Connemara Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Furbo
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel looks like a nice lodge. I think we would have enjoyed it more hadn't we just come from two excellent and higher standard places (Inchydonya Island and Aghadoe Highs, go there instead if you can). The place is on the road and you will need to drive to go anywhere. Don't expect long walks along the bay (rocky). The view of the bay is nice (all rooms seem to have it). Very few rooms offer a balcony. My husband had the feeling of being "institutionalised" (many signs with rules, compulsory dinner, families with children not admitted in main restaurant, you need a swimming cap in the pool, the general atmosphere). Breakfast was just fine.

Room Tip: No elevator - take ground floor room if you have mobility problems.
1  Thank merphile

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We had a three night family break at this hotel and have returned home feeling really rested and very well fed! Our rooms were 201-203 with a partial sea view in 203. The rooms were very comfortable, very clean. Bathrooms though dated were spotless. There was a welcome plate of homemade cookies and lots of bottled water in our rooms when we arrived .
Food was delicious - the breakfast buffet had everything and lots of it. Dinners were wonderful. Staff were really pleasant and efficient and kind to our fidgety children. I would recommend that the kids eat the dish of the day for dinner as it was great value for money.

There is lots to do - swimming pool, pool table, kid's club, tennis courts, playground, walk around the grounds down to the sea. The reception areas are big and very comfortable and the magnificent sea views are everywhere. As the weather was good, we swam in Silver Strand in Barna every day, went walking in Barna Woods (suggested by the hotel newsletter - thank you) We really didn't need to do much else combined with the hotel facilities. There was good music in the hotel on Wednesday night. Our kids attended the kids club and really enjoyed it.
The hotel has a fridge, washing machine and dryer for the use of guests. I found this really helpful.

I would gladly return again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We booked this hotel at Galway races time. It is about 10Km west of Galway city. Staff are warm and helpful. Breakfast was everyting you could wish for with buffet cold food and hot food served to order and piping hot. Certainly a great start to any day. Dining room staff were just so well organised and friendly. Another couple who joined us were in what appeared to be an updated or new area to the hotel. The room was brightened by a large bay window. They had a safe. The room was spacious and new. On the other hand, we were in the older part. It had a more dated appearance but very comfortable nonetheless. Rooms were cleaned and refreshed every day with clean towels supplied. We did not have a safe which I would have used. More importantly to me I would have liked a fridge or the option one the use of one on request. These two things were my only faults with the room. I like my cups of tea and milk could not be kept in the room with the heat. They do seem to be updating though and I hope these items will be included. I would return if the occasion arises.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are bright and spacious.
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Connemara Coast hotel as part of our "Once in a Lifetime Trip" in July 2014 to Ireland. We were thrilled to be staying at a hotel with a Coast View. When we arrived in our rental car, we were disappointed to see three tour buses there. When I asked about the tour buses, the staff said this is normal.

The rooms: they haven't been updated in 20-30+ years. 20" tube TVs in the rooms, one room key on a key chain, peeling wall paper, scary gas station sinks, WiFi only in the lobby. All rooms have a "Partial Coast View" if you press your nose and cheek against the window. Staff missed our 5am morning wake up call as we found them sleeping on the hotel lobby couches when we check out.

Compared to the other 4-5 star places we stayed, the Connemara Coast was a dump. Don't make the mistake we did to "upgrade" to this hotel if your tour package calls it that. This hotel compares to a Motel 6 in the United States.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
15  Thank Erick L
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had a weekend break in Connemara recently that included an overnight stay in the Connemara Coast Hotel. I booked the room because of it's convenient location between Galway city and Spiddal. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and we also used the pool and outdoor jacuzzi (great views of Galway bay) before we left. When we arrived, we were given a room with three single beds and no double but the staff were more than happy to move us to another room that suited us perfectly and gave us a nice view of the three Aran Islands off the west coast.

As a gateway to Connemara, I would definitely recommend this hotel as a stopping-off point or a staging point. Particularly if you want to also be close to Galway city's restaurants, shops and bars.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We recently brought our 85 year old mom to Galway to where her mom was from. We stayed at the Connemarra Coast Hotel and I have to say the rooms were lovely and had beautiful views of the bay. The staff was great and went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. Because there were eight of us they set aside a table to accommodate our large group for our breakfasts and dinners. It was a very enjoyable stay and would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Myself and partner stayed here for 2 nights in March. The check in staff were fine and friendly. The problem was the spa area. I specifically booked the hotel for the outdoor jacuzzi. Only to be told it was broken!! I was later informed that the jacuzzi had been broken for a long time, not just that particular weekend.

I was naturally very disappointed, I would not rate this hotel as a four star, rooms are average, as was food. Spa area was grubby and very small, and lastly no jacuzzi.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emer M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furbo
The Twelve Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!