“stayed for the races”

Connemara Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Furbo
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Stayed here a couple of days for the Galway races. Nice and peaceful location,beautifull views,nice comfortable hotel and very friendly staff. I had a meal in the restaurant and it was fantastic! Nice ambience in the bar and a very good breakfast in the morning.One downside is the price but race week is probably dearer,cant comment on prices outside of race week. Oh and thanks for the drink Charlie!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2008

We were in Connemara visiting family when we came across this hotel on the road and decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay. It wanst cheap but it was very posh and we had a lovely time. The room was very nice and quite business like and the views were lovely. The meals were gorgeous and very romantic at dinner. We felt totally spoilt.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I was a guest at a wedding that occured in the hotel this June. This hotel is fantastic in every way possible. Unlike a lot of recently built hotels , this hotel has character and a wonderful atmosphere. The function room is beautiful with breathtaking views of the sea. The food and service were of the highest standard. The staff also have to be commended, They could not have been more pleasant or polite. Some of the reviews are slightly dated now. The hotel has undergone major refurbishment in the past few years and the rooms are clean, nicely decorated and have the extra bonus of amazing views. Our stay at the Connemara Coast was without fault and I would highly recommend it for a relaxing break. Excellent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed here for a work conference which was based in the hotel. I was a little apprehensive after reading TripAdvisor and by the somewhat dated photos on their website, however I was very pleasantly surprised by the reality. My room was incredibly spacious and had a lovely sea view. The room was nicely decorated without being sea-side kitschy. There were plenty of quaint areas to sit, read or chat around the lobby area and the bar was also a nice spot when busy. The pool looked quite big and there were several decent looking pieces of gym equipment in the gym.
The hotel is about a 20 minute drive to the centre of Galway and a car would be recommended if staying here. I would recommend this hotel if you wanted a quiet seaside spot but close enough to the city. The staff were also excellent and went out of their way to be of assistance during the whole stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Brad H
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I stayed here with my wife and family for 3 nights at 2007/08 New Year. We were on a DBB package including what turned out to be a beautiful 7 course gala dinner dance on New Year's Eve.
This was the 4th time my wife and I have stayed here in about a 10 year period and, once again, we weren't disappointed, even though this was the first time we had been for a winter stay.
We had an Executive room which was slightly more expensive than the standard rooms but it was well worth the extra money. It was large with 2 small sofas and a wonderful view across Galway Bay. The bed was large and very comfortable and the complimentary decanter of sherry made for a lovely aperitif each evening while getting ready for dinner. We also had a large complimentary bowl of fruit
Although this is a 4 star hotel we are always impressed by the quality of food in the restaurant which is worthy of any 5 star. The dinner menus are innovative and the food is quite simply wonderful. Even the breakfasts are impressive, with a wide selection of hot and cold dishes each morning.
There is an excellent lesiure centre at this hotel, use of which is free to hotel guests. This incudes a very well equipped gym, large pool (big enough for "proper" swimming), sauna, steamroom, jacuzzi and (best of all) outdoor Canadian hot tub which has fantastic views across the Bay. A great way to balance out all those extra calories you will inevitably take on board when you see the restaurant menus!
If you like walking there are several nice walks from the hotel (which is located on the shore of Galway Bay) and the ever helpful staff will provide you with maps and guides for these.
On both the ground and first floors there are large lounge areas. On the first floor there are lots of books to read and games (chess etc) available to play.
Any negatives? Only a couple of minor ones. Firstly, the bar, while friendly, is in my view a bit small for a hotel of this size - though you can take your drinks into the reception area where there are several very comfortable seating areas. Secondly, if you are looking for shopping or nightlife outside the hotel you really need to get yourself into Galway city which is about 7 or 8 miles away by car or taxi.
But if you are just after a nice relaxing stay with great food and views, the Connemara Coast Hotel is VERY hard to beat!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank NITripper
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We stayed here between Christmas and New Year as we have done on two previous occasions and it made for a relaxing break. Our children (aged 5 and 8) love this hotel for the kids club and swimming pool. They had tea with other children at 5.30 and then were taken off for supervised games, art and a DVD while we had dinner in the "adults only" (oooer) restaurant. We have always been impressed with the standard of food here, fairly sophisticated and much better than average hotel food.

We had two interconnecting rooms so plenty of space and not much price difference than getting one family room. The best value here are the "packages" they offer e.g. three nights B&B plus 2 dinners. Rooms are comfortable, if nothing to write home about, and most have good views of Galway Bay.

The gounds offer a beautiful walk by the sea, weather permitting, and the outdoor hot tub in the leisure centre is a great place to watch a Connemara sunset!

One of the best things about this hotel though is the staff. We have always found them to be extremely friendly, attentive and helpful, often going out of their way to make you feel at home. We ate in the bar on the first evening, where there is a limited menu. One of the desserts listed was a selection of ice cream. I asked the waitress if there was any sorbet available but she said sorry, no. I decided against dessert but when she brought dessert for my husband she presented me with a dish of delicious apple sorbet which she had found for me. Nice touch!

I'm sure we will be back to the Connemara Coast.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I walked into this hotel on bank holiday Monday to see if they had a double room available for that night and how much it would be. To my surprise I was told 89euro per person sharing per night B&B!!! So they were looking for 178euro for a double room for a bank holiday Monday night in October when the hotel was empty - crazy or what?? Anyway, I promptly left and booked in the fabulous Galway Harbour Hotel where I enjoyed my stay for 99euro for 2 people including breakfast.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Celgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furbo
The Twelve Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
#1 of 3 in Cong

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!