“326 not a suite!! Disappointing Manager.”

Connemara Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Furbo
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our fourth visit... And I rang to book a suite in the hotel, we checked into room 326 and when I arrived to the room I thought my request for a suite was never entered into the system, I never rang down as for a standard room it was fine.

However after my husband paid for the room on Sunday Morning he was charged €60 for an upgrade and to my surprise the receptionist told me it was an upgrade. This was most certainly not an upgrade. It was a room that looked out on the tennis court and if you looked to the right you could see the sea. It was not even a front view costal room! Standard bed, standard bathroom, small coffee table and two chairs as I would expect in any room.

There were four chocolates on the desk and a bottle of still water on each locker. Is this what we where paying an extra €60.00 for.

The manager went on to explain that it was a more spacious room with a costal view, I told her that I did not feel for the standard and size of the room that I should be paying an extra €60.00 for it and I have no problem in paying extra for a suite if I received a suite. She then to my disgust said “I was on already on a special rate with Super Valu”.I cannot see why this was relevent to the point I was making to her. From talking to staff and my own observation the hotel was extremely quiet therefore she should have been delighted to see any paying guests’ and to make it right for the us!!

I work in a hotel and this is not in my nature I am fully aware of standards, revenue generation etc... But I do not feel I received value for money.

I think it was the General Manager that was talking to me and I feel that she needs to learn what you can charge €60.00 for and improve her attitude to customers. I would not be willing to return to the hotel after specking to her!!

The restaurant manager, bar and reception staff where excellent as was the food.

I would also like recommend you update your website to the current decor of the hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure when you are paying a supplement for a suite you recieve what you are paying for.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sinead191

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I took advantage of the Golden Years mid-week offer; mid November 2012. I had reviewed the Trip Adviser reports and as always, discounted the top 10% and bottom 10% ratings. I find the remaining 80% is a more accurate reliable indicator of positive or negative patterns. Overall the Trip Adviser statistics were indicating 84% of reviews "very good" to "excellent"; the remaining 16% indicated "average" to "terrible". That concerned me somewhat and made me a little apprehensive.

On arrival at the hotel those apprehensions very quickly melted away. We received a very warm welcome from the Receptionist and H.R. Manager. We completed the registration and ushered to our room. On the way I was ticking off the boxes. The overall structure was welcoming; spacious and inviting. There was a "lofty" openness to the roof, with a grand staircase to the first floor mezzanine, which was furnished with a multitude of very comfortable settees and easy chairs. Later explorations confirmed that trend all over the hotel. Even if the hotel had full capacity; there was enough settee/easy chair clusters to accommodate everybody sitting in comfort with their family or friends.

Our room was in the older part of the building which had wood floors under the carpets. While we were aware of that , it did not take away from the overall comfort in any way or was "creaky". We appreciated the complimentary upgrade to a superior room with a sea view as my wife had very discretely informed reception that we were there to celebrate my significant very golden oldie birthday, the one with a seven in it. There was one or two other very kind gestures - simple - but very thoughtful; which I also appreciated.

Our room met all expectations in terms of comfort; overall hygiene and space. The key points being a very comfortable bed, inducing sound sleep; spotless bathroom and clothes hanging space. As I have already said, while the room was in the old part; that did not in any way detract from it's 4* rating. It had all the facilities you would expect; tv; coffee/tea making facilities; hair dryers; iron & board; trousers press ; phone; and bottled water. The room was freshly dressed each day.

One little telling indicator of attention to detail was the selection of limited edition of prints & sketches that were hanging in our room and all over the hotel wherever there was appropriate wall space. Some were sets of motivational thinking and encouragement. Again like the multitude of comfortable sitting areas, no expense was spared in selecting each piece and each piece was selected for it's distinctive characteristics. All complimented each other and were in appropriate settings. They contributed to the overall relaxed calm and quiet atmosphere of the hotel. Somebody went to a lot of trouble and took great care and this is reflected in all the elements that go to making your stay a very pleasing and enjoyable experience.

The hotel has achieved numerous awards for excellence over the years and none more deserving than for the range; quality and presentation of food, at both breakfast and dinner; also the bar food, which is available all day. Going into dinner at night was something to look forward to and anticipate. In appreciation, I would like to pay compliments to the Head Chef and his staff for their excellent culinary standards and to the dining room staff for their friendly and efficient service. We were never disappointed.

We also enjoyed the swimming pool facilities with sauna and steam room. The Jacuzzi was also a welcome luxury but a little undersized for the overall size of the pool and gym facilities; which has private membership as well as hotel guests. The outside hot tub was not operational and I gather had been removed.

Again Pool Staff were friendly , welcoming and professional as were all staff, in all areas of the hotel. Like any other enterprise or organisation; buildings are just that until people become operational and make them what they become. In this case the sum total of all the staff create a most enjoyable experience for their guests. They make you feel comfortable; special and are motivated to meet all your needs. There is a true Connamara spirit of warm hospitality permeating all sections of the Connamara Coast Hotel and this includes foreign placement students who have been integrated into the Connamara culture and way of relating to guests.

In summary all our expectations were met and more, thanks to the individual members of staff we interfaced with at reception; in the dining rooms; at the pool; in the bar; our room service and those behind the scenes in the kitchen that we did'nt meet but whose contribution was just as important and equally appreciated.

Yes there are one or two mainentance priorities which require attention and do not require large budgets to correct or replace but in the overall scheme of things they did not detract from our enjoyment in any way. In fact you may not become aware of them at all. I just mention it to show that I was alert for negative issues; however, the remaining 99.9% were all positive.

Like I said, all expectations met and more, thanks to the individual members of staff, who made our 3 day stay a most enjoyable and memorable one. A great base for exploring the Connamara region. We did but limited ourselves to a "nooks & crannies" tour of Carroe; Lettermore & Lettermullen as we had three days of persistent rain with heavy mist blocking out the Arran Islands completely from view. That's the risk of a winter break; yet we enjoyed it and will return to the Connamara Coast Hotel at a future date when more favourable weather could be expected. That would be the icing on the cake.

Go with confidence; you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SPMacGearailt
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Connemara Coast is all it says on the brocher. Every member of the staff including Management are there to welcome you and to assist in every way they can. The rooms, from the standard to the Exec suite are of a very high standard and offering every comfort. The food in the bar and Restaurant are of the highest quality. Thanks must go to the chefs. The location is set on the seas edge offering great views across Galway Bay and relaxing walks along the shore. Although it was raining whilst we were there the car ride into Connemara was enjoyable. Overall it was an excellent break, good value for money and we will return again.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GeorgeFisher
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I rang from the road for a late booking for business purposes lately. The staff were very nice, the room was very comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and the views of Galway Bay are all you could hope for. The price was reasonable and I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank anpocarbuile
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Recently my wife and I spent two days in the Connemara Coast Hotel.Reception was very friendly and efficient and had our bags delivered to our room.The room was very nice and comfortable with an excellent view of the sea and the rugged Connemara coast line.The leisure centre is well laid out and I am sure kids would really enjoy it.The hotel itself is very relaxing with plenty of spots to sit and read(there is a library as well) or if one wishes to have a snooze there is a designated area facing out to the sea.The restaurant is comfortable and seating is very discreet(no one looking over your shoulder).The food is excellent (be sure and try the homemade brown bread) and a good choice of menu.The staff in this hotel tick all the boxes and I will return there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kevin m
Reviewed October 2, 2012

a nice hotel in the countryside, great place to go and relax and unwind , food is ok, bar is ok, alot of tours seem to stay here, Receptionist,s was helpful, we will return at some point in the near future, only problem is location, its about 2o mins drive from Salthill/Galway. Breakfast was nice also, we had the curry in the bar one evening, that was really nice. The bar needs more of an atmosphere at night time though, candles or something.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Noel_D186605
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in Hotel on 25 Sept. 2012 with a group of 20 active retired people. I had several calls to hotel with special requirements for our group and each was met with excellent attention. We had to make more changes when we booked in and nothing was too much trouble for Ann (Manager) and her staff. We were very impressed. All our rooms were brilliant, no complaints. The food was wonderful, the staff were very helpful in meeting all our needs. The hotel was warm (some of our group found it too warm during the night). The views are great from hotel. If I could change one thing it would be to install a lift to help senior citizens and family with small children to upper levels of hotel.
Would our group go back - most definitely, in fact the next day of our tour some of our group wanted a second night in hotel. Keep up the good work, we shall be returning for another visit.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms on ground floor (400+). The single rooms even had a double bed in them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mary B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furbo
2 mi away
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!